OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Redfield old vs new...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redfield old vs new...
    Posted: December/30/2009 at 20:09

I was wondering if anyone out there has an old Redfield Aurora?

I have a few questions that I was wondering...

Was also wondering on a few things that might be commone knowledge..

Wondering which lense maker these lenses are?

Also wondering if these are special lenses in anyway?

Also wondering why I can have over 1" of eye relief without any issues?
No one
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 08:43
I have the Golden 5 Star 20-60X60mm, Aurora 20-60X60mm and 27-60X80mm Aurora(rare unit).
Have no idea of the len maker, do know they had an IER ocular option that would give about 1-1/12 inches eye relief.  Coatings on the Aurora series were the best of their day.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 20:54
I have the 20-60x60mm and the 27-80x80mm and have been blown away by them side by side with my nicer ones more recently...  I used to take them to different ranges usually 20-60 out to say 600 and the 27-80 out to say 1000+ and have been noticing that the eye relief is astonishing compared to my Leica 80mm...  Not that the glass is better or brighter but that the eye relief is more forgiving... the "pictures" between the two are not comparable...
No one
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 21:26
If you want to get rid of one/both let me know.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 21:31
As you know for the price they are very under-rated and under priced... I have 3 of the Japanese made 3-10x50mm Illuminators that are compare with my Zeiss, Swarovski, and Kahles scopes and were also very under-rated and under-priced...

I am just wondering if anyone knows what the glass is or what makes it so clear and bright and then how in the world they have gotten such long eye relief...
No one
smallcal View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smallcal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 13:37
Not positive about the spotters, but in the 70's a company called Plummer Precision Optics in Pennsburg, PA made some of the scope lenses.  (Used to live ~0.5 mile from the factory, small unassuming place.  Once in a while you could get one of the employees to get you a scope at cost.)  They went under in the 90's, I believe, due to some very underhanded dealings with the US government on some tank sites if I recall correctly.

Hope that helps.
Irishred13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishred13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2010 at 07:11
I have a  27-80x80mm Aurora model that I've had for years and unfortunantly have never used. I have the scope in brand new condition in the scope case as well as the tripod and the carrying case.
If anyone would be interested in making an offer, PM or post back.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic