OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

"Inexpensive Scope" Comparison

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 02:28
Original post is updated with some more information and pictures.

ILya
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 14:04
Thanks for the work, and I'm still looking forward to the conclusion. 

If you did a part two, which additional scopes would you be interested in comparing?
Risasi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 14:11
This review is much appreciated. It is confirming my suspicions that Vortex is the real deal.
I'm guessing they will supplant the economy range to mid-range Nikon and Leupold lines.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 14:14
Originally posted by jason miller jason miller wrote:

Thanks for the work, and I'm still looking forward to the conclusion. 

If you did a part two, which additional scopes would you be interested in comparing?

I will address this when I am done.  Also, before I answer this question, I want to see what comes out at SHOT next week.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 20:00
All right, gentlemen.  It is done and the original post is properly updated.

ILya
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 20:19
Excellent. Thunbs Up  I had a feeling that the FFII would do well and that the Nikon Prostaff wouldn't fair as well.

Edited by ckk1106 - January/15/2010 at 20:19
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 20:20
Excellent, I  greatly appreciate the time and effort you put into this, what I liked best was that you chose winners and losers and explained why,  I expect that this review will be useful to many people, thank you again.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 20:53
Fantantic job Sir.  Thank You

It appears that the Barska SWAT scope was not your favorite, true?

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 21:55
hmm imagine that the vortex scope won, i knew they made good stuff. thanks for the time and the awesome write ups as usual you do a great service to all of us.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 00:04
Good job on the review Excellent....I would be interested in how the buckmaster compares as mentioned at the end of the write up...
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 11:57
Thanks for doing this.  I'll be interested to see how the Sightron and Redfield compare, if you get to it.
MBar308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBar308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 22:36
awesome write up, would be very interested to see how the buckmaster fairs against the ff II and the diamondback
bigo_m View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigo_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 22:41
Thank You very much.  The exact information I was looking for.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 00:18
I wish you had thrown in a Weaver Classic and compared it to the rest. Ive heard it is very good for the money.
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 10:15
Thanks, Ilya.
Thanks, SWFA.
Wish Vortex (or Burris) would offer a heavy duplex on a few of their scopes.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 10:43
After reading your conclusions, it makes me think that companies that have everything riding on their reputation for sport/tactical optics will be a better bet. Nikon has a general reputation for high quality and innovative products (e.g. D90 camera). But perhaps a large company with its fingers in many pots (some of them vastly larger than others) just lets some product lines languish.
Reaction time is a factor...
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 10:51
i think the nikon buckmaster should have been tested it is in that price range
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 11:52

Ilya,

Thanks for all your efforts with this project.  I've done a little of this myself and it is truly time consuming (but fun) and your work here is much appreciated.

To all,

Nikon is very capable of making some serious optics.  In addition to their DSLR cameras/lens they also make lithography equipment (and they are very competitive too) that is used by many wafer manufacturing companies.  I have no doubt they (and Canon too if they were so inclined) could make scopes that could rival some of the higher end companies (US Optics, Nightforce, Zeiss, Sawrovski) but I guess it all comes down to breaking into this market segma.

As far as Nikon's warranty, I had a 6.5-20x44 Monarch scope that threw a reticle and it was replaced with a 6-25x50 brand new, in the wrap, Monarch with no questions asked.  Thats as good as gets in my view.  I would hesitate buying a Nikon refurbed scope because it only has a 90 day warranty, after that, any repairs are on you but otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Jim 
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 13:33
Excellent

How refreshing to have a thorough review of so many products, by someone WITH experience, and WITHOUT an axe to grind!  

I hadn't thought that segmentation within the scope market would happen $25 increments.  I found it very interesting to see the "break" in performance levels at $175.00.  Naturally, I'm now really curious to see where the next plateau is:  $225?  $250? $300?   And of course that brings the question of, "what does another $25/$50/$100 get me over this level of scope?".  See what ingrates we are? You do all of this hard work, & we give you more questions than you gave us answers!

I'd also like to express thanks for including the Barska in the test.   With all the buzz about the amazing Chinese binos in the past year, I was eager to see if this scope could hang with the others.  I suppose I'm a bit surprised that it was never in the running.  I've never been inclined to look at one, but that's because I've looked through them & found them wanting.  Rather, I've considered the owners I've met, & determined there wasn't a whole lot of discernment involved when the scope was purchased.

Thanks Again,

FC

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 14:34
Originally posted by 300 ultramag 300 ultramag wrote:

i think the nikon buckmaster should have been tested it is in that price range

The way the original comparison was set up, I was looking for scopes under $200.

Here is the thread with the original discussion:

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic