OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell Sportview

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell Sportview
    Posted: January/04/2010 at 10:58

Just came across an older Bushnell Sportview scope I had from back about 8-10 years ago that I had put in a shoebox and forgot about.  I pulled it out and the power dial was hard as crap to turn. I thought at first maybe if i do a few twist with it that eventually it would loosen up.  It didn't after 50 back and forth 3 to 9 and 9-3 turns, its still just as hard to turn.  Any advise on a method of freeing this up or am I better off sending it to Bushnell for repair/replace. 

Yes i know its a cheaper scope but I would like it to be right in the event I get a gun to put it on. (22 or something)

Edited by SVT_Tactical - January/04/2010 at 10:58
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 16:19
bump this back up, anyone got any advise.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 16:22

I'd try a little wd40, whats it going to hurt.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
HOLLOWPOINT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLLOWPOINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 17:09
Bushnell Sportview........... Puker 

Throw that P.O.S. into the garbage can and buy a decent scope. You won't regret it!
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good. Thomas Paine
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 07:30
Originally posted by HOLLOWPOINT HOLLOWPOINT wrote:

Bushnell Sportview........... Puker 

Throw that P.O.S. into the garbage can and buy a decent scope. You won't regret it!

Thats usefulLoco
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 12:34
WD-40 free'd it up good. I was kinda hesitant because of not knowing if it was waterproof/wd-40proof.  Easy to turn now and no adverse effects.  Putting it on an old Marlin 39AS this weekend.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 22:48
Goof to hear the WD40 worked, I once had a similar situation with a nikon monarch that was real sticky / notchy on the elevation turret, I sprayed it and it cured it. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 07:23

Sprayed it a little more last night. thanks for the advise Lucytuma, like a new scope now.

Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 08:25
The old sportview made in Japan was ok.Very useful I have a friend who has been using one for 30 years with no problems on a M700 30-06  plenty of use.In fact that scope cost him back in 1980 for around $80.00  
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 08:53
Originally posted by Randall45 Randall45 wrote:

The old sportview made in Japan was ok.Very useful I have a friend who has been using one for 30 years with no problems on a M700 30-06  plenty of use.In fact that scope cost him back in 1980 for around $80.00  

Thats what mine is.  Its was bought new by my grandpa, which is why the wonderful comment about throwing it away is nice, anyway. It has been used on a 300 win mag, 270, 7mm Mag and many other rifles as I recall and hold zero great and glass is clear as it can be.
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 14:18
True, the old ones were surprisingly decent.  I've got one on a 22 that really is amazing for what it is, tracks true, holds zero, for what it's on it's a pretty decent fit.  Now that it's working you might try some dry graphite once the WD40 evaporates.  Not sure how it will work but I was told that one time.
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 15:00
I had one from Wal-Mart some time ago on a 300 Win mag and it did well until one day the center of the duplex just fell over to one side. It did a real good job before it broke. I would use it on something that wouldn't mean a ruined hunt if it failed!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 15:47
Originally posted by Sandracer Sandracer wrote:

I had one from Wal-Mart some time ago on a 300 Win mag and it did well until one day the center of the duplex just fell over to one side. It did a real good job before it broke. I would use it on something that wouldn't mean a ruined hunt if it failed!

There was a package deal around 10 years ago where you could get a Win70 and a Sportview from walmart for around 350-400 dollars.  Same old style sportview which is much clearer than the new cheapos
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 20:14
Decent little scopes for the time, I have one on my wife's Marlin 22LR.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic