OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper 10X or 16X power?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sniper 10X or 16X power?
    Posted: May/04/2004 at 21:11
I have been hearing some great things about these scopes but I have one last thing to consider before buying one. I have heard that people are buying the 10X power 5 to 1 to all the other powers combined. That tells me something but if I'm shooting a target or varmint at 400-1000 yards is a 10X power going to get me close enough to see that little critter at 400 yards? Can I see the darn target at 400 yards? A 16X power makes more sense to me but I'm still very much a newbie and need all the advice I can get before I buy one. I want to also shoot at 100-300 yards without giving up too much clarity. Is there that big of a difference in clarity in the 10X and 16X power? HELP!!!!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2004 at 11:15

Everything is better with the 10x (field of view, eye relief, exit pupil, etc.).  You can do everything you desire with the 10x...trust me.  If you had both on identical guns you would reach for the 10x first every time.  The most common mistake people make when trying to shoot long range is over scoping.

Here is a picture of one of our customers with a 10x SS and his 3 shot group at 1,000 yards.  His group is the splat where the arrow is pointing.  A .308 will not penetrate this target at 1,000 yards.  The actual holes are from someone shooting a 7 STW from 500 yards that was not supposed to be shooting this type of target.

huntindawg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntindawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2005 at 08:31

the SS 10x is fine for targeting small critters i used mine to shoot a squirrel at 375 yards. my mom didnt like it when i fired my .308 out the kitchen window. 

a question for all ya'll long range shooters. i'm 16 years old and i'm just getting into long rang shooting, i have a Remington model 700 PSS in .308 is there a better rifle for the 300-1000 yard range.

Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2005 at 11:09

The more power you add the less clarity you get.  High power scopes let you see farther but not always better. 

Huntindawg, yeah that rifle will do.  There are other calibers out there that do certain things really well but can't accomplish anything else real well.  The .308 is a cartridge that does everything extremely well.  It hits hard, does well in the wind, is effective for everything from 50 yards out to 1000 some have been able to reach out to 1200, and it costs less than other calibers such as .300 Win Mag costing more than a $1.10- $1.20 per round.  Most factory match ammo for the .308 can be had depending on where you get it for at least 10-15 cents less than a $1.00 per round.  Roll your own, you'll get better accuracy and it's a whole lot cheaper.  Ammo isn't expensive it's the labor of putting it together you pay for when you buy factory stuff.

Fight Smarter
Not Harder
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2005 at 04:08
Originally posted by huntindawg huntindawg wrote:

A question for all ya'll long range shooters. i'm 16 years old and i'm just getting into long rang shooting, i have a Remington model 700 PSS in .308 is there a better rifle for the 300-1000 yard range.

Great rifle!

Mithran gave you some good information.

I don't think you can get a better all around, do it all caliber like the .308. 

Best of luck!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2005 at 08:55
Originally posted by huntindawg huntindawg wrote:

the SS 10x is fine for targeting small critters i used mine to shoot a squirrel at 375 yards. my mom didnt like it when i fired my .308 out the kitchen window. 

I don't care who you are but that is funny!!!!!  I imagine you nearly gave her a heart attack.

huntindawg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntindawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2005 at 10:29

yeah it was fun though.

not much left of the squirrel

Edited by huntindawg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic