OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cold Weather Shooting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold Weather Shooting
    Posted: January/06/2010 at 23:37
Probably some of the military guys may have some tips. If your shooting pistols in -5 temps and -30 wind chill is there any problems that may be encountered in the weapons. (Malfunctions not usually encountered at normal temps.) Sig 239 and or Glock 22c .  Whacko
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 23:55
Never had that extreme range in temps for range times. I suspect that should the weather be sunny or at the least dry, the most you can expect is some numbness from recoil. Kinda like trying to twist a wrench in cold weather. I have hunted in freezing rain, and sleet with a windchill of zero to minus 4, and there were no ill affects on the rifle. I did have a balloon on the end of the barrel though, wouldn't want ice in there, and then pull the trigger. I can tell you that whenm the temps are freezing and below, I always carry my sidearms under my overcoat, or my duster, more for keeping them ice free than anything else. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 23:59
I was wondering if a lighter lube or maybe shooting more or less dry might free the slide more. I would think there would be more drag. Maybe the metal may be a little more brittle.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 00:05
Use a normal gun oil. don't use grease if that makes you suspect. Confidence that your equipment will perform is one of the most important things. Gun metal is specially treated (tempered) the temperature would need to be more extreme than that to have any serious affect. Keep your magazines in your pocket and warm and dry until you are ready. Not that the warmth is that important, but dry will certainly be in that temperature. Especially using a semi auto.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 04:44
The Russian's use diesel fuel for a reason ;)
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 07:46

They did a test a few years ago on sig 226 and frozed them in 1 cubic foot blocks of ice for days and then broke them out and shot with no malfunctions.  I don't think you will see any adverse effect on the handgun in the cold, only your ability to hold with gloves and the way it will feel with you musles being so cold as already mentioned.  They are built to run in all temps. if you can run'em

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 22:02
We had a lot of fun at the training session today. There were 23 shooters. 20 were bail bond persons that the class was designed around. My wife and I were lucky to be invited to join in the class by the sponsor. The stress of the class was increased by the 4 low to 16 high temp in the afternoon along with 6" of left over snow. Some questions about low temp shooting may have received answers. Some of the shooters had several rounds not fire after having solid hits on the primers. All were using Winchester ammunition. 2 were shooting 9mm one was shooting a .45 and one lady was shooting a .380. The instructor felt that the 4-16 deg temp range of the day may well have been the problem. Another shooter was shooting a Taurus PT 24/7 .45 and had a DNF because of feeding problems. This was a newer weapon with only a few rounds before today. It appeared to be magazine related to me. It would not feed more than 3 rounds before jamming or failing to feed. Both of the Sig's my wife and I had preformed flawless. The training was prepared by Iron Sight Inc.  Tactical training and Iron Sight Riflescope repair located in Tulsa, OK.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 09:04
I don't think the temp contributed to the DNFs of the primers pops.  Maybe bad ammo.  I may be wrong.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 10:45
The primers had good hits. We were able to change ammunition brand on the 9mm and the .45 with no more incidents of misfires with these particular firearms. None of the shots were squibs. This makes me think that the primer did not ignite. Whether it was the type primer charge component, or the hardness of the primer and the low temp increasing the hardness of the priming cap. From theirs experience I will not be using he low end Winchester handgun ammo in very low temps. It has always worked fine for me when I use it in normal temps. My wife and I were using PMC and fired 400 rounds between us without problems. No matter where the problem starts SVT is correct it is bad ammo. when it does not go bang.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 17:06
The military uses Breakfree CLP as a lube.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic