OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris FF II vs Nikon Buckmasters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBar308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris FF II vs Nikon Buckmasters
    Posted: January/16/2010 at 19:44
I know this is kind of a double post, but I couldnt find the information I was looking for in the other post. Looking at the 3-9 x 40 models. This will be mounted on a Savage Model 11 .308. Will be used for hunting whitetail at a maximum distance of approximately 300 yds with most shots being 125 and under. I'm mostly concerned with being able to shoot at dawn and dusk when theyre movin the most. Which scope will be clearest and draw in the most light? Also which reticle will remain more visible at these times (nikoplex vs bplex or plex)? Ive done quite a bit of research myself and have narrowed it to these two unless of course there is a scope I'm overlooking in the same price range. The Primos is out of the question as I cant stand the bdc reticle and the Elite 4200 is just a little out of my range at the moment...

Thank you in advance for all of the knowledgeable responses
Looking forward to hearing from you Cheap Trick Cool
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 20:21
try this out maybe it will help you decide
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21176
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SDnailbender View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDnailbender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 20:55
I have a 3-9X40 FFII and mechanically it is very good. At 9X it gets blurry at the edges, but otherwise it works fine.

I had a 3-9X40 Buckmaster for awhile and never could get a clear image with it and its adjustments did not track correctly. I sent it in and it came back pretty much the same with a note that nothing was wrong with it.

If these are your only choices I would go with the FFII.
MBar308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBar308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 22:15
thanks pyro.
sd - theyre not my only choices...I mean if there's a decent scope I'm leaving out please inform me
MBar308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBar308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 22:19
and....if I were to throw the 4200 into the mix, how would that change things? I have not had the opportunity to look through one. I have seen the other two under artificial light, which of course doesnt mean much.
utbrowningman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utbrowningman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 22:48

I was considering the same scopes and the difference I saw was the Nikon was brighter and I liked the Nikon BDC reticle over the Burris version.  I did buy the Burris but also bought the Nikon Team Primos from SWFA w/out looking at it.  I assume it will be just like the Buckmasters.

MBar308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBar308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 23:09
after reviewing koshkin's inexpensive scope thread I am now questioning the vortex diamondback, however there are no local retailers....was it honestly that much better than a ff II?
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 11:07
i would hands down go with a nikon though i prefer a monarch they are worlds apart from a buckmaster
MBar308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBar308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 22:20
I have heard great things about the monarch, its just out of the price range. really would like to hear from anyone who has owned both the buckmaster and ff II
utbrowningman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utbrowningman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 22:49
The Team Primos, which SWFA has, is supposed to be a rebadged Monarch.  Can anyone verify?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 22:50
correct with the exception that it has the bdc reticle only
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 22:51
Originally posted by MBar308 MBar308 wrote:

I have heard great things about the monarch, its just out of the price range. really would like to hear from anyone who has owned both the buckmaster and ff II

the primos would be a step up from the buckmaster as well as the FFII. i liked the ballistic plex better than the bdc myself, but i didnt like the FII as much as the primos as far as glass quality goes.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 00:27
Originally posted by MBar308 MBar308 wrote:

after reviewing koshkin's inexpensive scope thread I am now questioning the vortex diamondback, however there are no local retailers....was it honestly that much better than a ff II?

Is the implication here that I was not honest in my review?

ILya
MBar308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBar308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 15:55
no I'm not questioning honesty at all. I greatly appreciate your write up. its just like I said, there are no local retailers. And I'm uncomfortable buying without seeing. Therefore what I should have asked is if it is indisputably, hands down better.

sorry for any misconceptions.
MBar308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBar308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 15:58
and pyro, I have to agree. I'm just not crazy about the bdc reticle...I don't see how you can be dead on with an open circle.

Thanks to all for the responses, I'm still up in the air at the moment. However, I think I'm leaning towards the Burris with the ballistic plex reticle.
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 19:03
check out the nikon coyote
MBar308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBar308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 06:33
sorry for the delay in response. Went with the FFII and although I am pleased, I wish I wouldve spent a little more on a Vortex Viper, Bushnell 4200, or Nikon Monarch...
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 19:05
I have FFII (4.5-14x42(AO)) and its pretty clear and tracks well too.  Dunno' which size you went with but when i was looking at these, there was quite a diference between a Burris 3-9x40 FFII and a 4.5-14x42 FFII.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic