OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron SIII or Vortex Viper PST or other

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrmy_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron SIII or Vortex Viper PST or other
    Posted: January/18/2010 at 14:21
I'm putting together a new build.  It is a Savage 116  originally chambered in .338WM.  I will be chambering in .308 on a McCree Stock and Barlein Barrel w/ 20moa base and possibly Burris XTR rings.  It will be primarily (95%) for competition/target (F/TR and Practical) and the other times mostly hog hunting.

I'm looking for something that must have the following features:
  1. Excellent Tracking/Repeatability (most important!!!)
  2. Good Glass that works well at the higher magnifications
  3. parallax and focus match well
  4. Robust enough for a 338 WM
  5. Good warranty and customer service
  6. tactical adjust knobs

The next features are a bonus:

1. FFP reticle
  2. matching reticle and dials
  3. Not required but a bonus is illuminated reticle

I was originally set on the SIII SS 6-24x50 LR MD or the SIII SS 8-32x56 LR MD but they don't have the FFP reticle, matching reticle/dials or illumination.  I know they have the required features.

Now I've seen some decent reviews on the Vortex Viper PST line and I'm considering the Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP.  This scope has the FFP reticle, matching reticle and dials, illumination, tactical turrets and I've heard decent glass as well as customer service/warranty.  I just don't know about the Tracking/Repeatability and this is the most important piece of the puzzle.

Does anyone have experience with these two scopes and can they vouch for the Vipers repeatability?  If the Viper PST has everything the SIII does with a few more features, I'm going to go this route.

I wish I had the cash and could justify a NightForce NXS..........  Maybe I should just go with an Elite 4200..................  Any help is greatly appreciated!
meglio un giorno da leone che cento da pecora
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 15:06
Welcome to Optics Talk.

When around Houston do you hunt hogs?

I have found that illuminated reticles are very necessary for hog hunting (since they move around most in the dark.)

I have no experience with the Viper scopes but can say that the S3 line is a very good deal for a mostly bench gun.

The Viper looks intriguing, let us know what you go with and how it works out. (S3 is not illuminated and the Viper is.  And my experinces with Vortex's Customer Service has been quite good.)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jrmy_1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrmy_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 18:34
Thanks for the welcome, mostly looking for good spots around Brazoria/Matagorda Counties.  I've got a few people that hog hunt in the area.

Hopefully someone has some direct experience with the Viper line.....
meglio un giorno da leone che cento da pecora
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 22:12
I have a Viper 6.5-20X50:

It tracks perfectly, has outstanding glass for the price, sidefocus works very well, etc.  In short, I'm happy enough with it that I have two PST's on order.      Smile      A 4-16 and a 6-24 both Mil/Mil FFP.  Based on my experience with the above Viper, the added features and better optics of the PST's make them a can't miss for the price.  If they were asking $1500 or so, I'd be a bit more cautious.  But for the price they're asking, especially with that warranty, I really see it as a no-brainer decision.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 22:15
if it makes you feel any better the vortex rep who is a member here told me that they test the viper scopes with rifles up to .50bmg. ive got a 2x7 viper on my .375H&H working fine so far.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2010 at 16:04
Check out our prices on Sightron it might make your decision a little easier.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic