OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Serious anxiety problem...help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serious anxiety problem...help!
    Posted: January/19/2010 at 20:40
So, the birthday is coming up fast and I am in need of a present for myself...Big Grin 

I am in the market for a new centerfire and scope and was thinking about either a nice coyote setup, or another deer setup. 

I cant stand most of the camo pattern rifles I've seen so even for coyote those are out. I've been eyeing a savage, most likely the 111 Precision Long Range. I also stumbled across a really nice looking T/C Icon at a gunshop. It has much better figuring that most that I have seen and is chambered in .308 win.

The Savage is slightly more expensive so the optics budget would likely take a hit if I went that direction. I suppose my question becomes, has anybody owned or shot either of these two rifles and how did you like them/how did they shoot? And of course, does anyone have a suggestions they think is even better?

I was thinking about a fixed power of some sort, maybe a 4x or 6x if I go with the Icon and either a fixed 10x for the Savage or if I want to wait a while, something like the Burris SixX 2x12x40.

Edited by mlv2k5 - January/19/2010 at 20:41
-Michael
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 21:48
It's not on your list, but I was in my local Wal-Mart this past weekend, and they had all their rifles on clearance. The one that caught my eye was a Weatherby Vanguard with a Tan and "splatter black" stock. Chambered in 30-06, it was marked down to $350.
 All the Remington 700's they had were marked $325-$450 depending on caliber and final finish.
Salesman told me all the Wal-Marts in the country were marking down their current inventory of guns to make way for a new distributor.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 07:42
Originally posted by HuntMaster HuntMaster wrote:

It's not on your list, but I was in my local Wal-Mart this past weekend, and they had all their rifles on clearance. The one that caught my eye was a Weatherby Vanguard with a Tan and "splatter black" stock. Chambered in 30-06, it was marked down to $350.
 All the Remington 700's they had were marked $325-$450 depending on caliber and final finish.
Salesman told me all the Wal-Marts in the country were marking down their current inventory of guns to make way for a new distributor.

Noticed this too.  Salesman told me that new more "modern" demands will be filled with the new distribtor. so we shall see what modern means. 
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 08:01
Wow $350-$450. Do they stock the Rem VSF and VLT range as well?
Foxman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2010 at 13:42
700 adl or some type of combo like the 710.  You don't even see a bdl at a walmart.  You can only wish!
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2010 at 18:30

Originally posted by Foxman Foxman wrote:

700 adl or some type of combo like the 710.  You don't even see a bdl at a walmart.  You can only wish!

(Here comes another Remington rant from the Apostle...)

Put it this way...Remington prices over here in Australia are a total rip off (blame their Aussie wholesaler Raytrade for this...even gun shop owners say they're rip off merchants!)...they take the U.S. MSRP price and double it in Australia dollars (Aus$ trading at more than US0.90c btw...)...Even if they were the cheap Remington 700 SPS's, i'd be tripping over myself to get 2 or 3!!! Big Grin

Edited by The Apostle - April/17/2010 at 05:43
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2010 at 22:42
Whay kind of customs charges do the importer incur? Do you have access to a customs table to figure the value of the charges?
Here in the U.S., German scopes are charged 14.9% + bond + brokerage fees to get in the country. All of this adds up to put most of these scopes out of the average persons' budget.
 Firearms imported into Australia may incur a substantial charge because of strict firearms laws.
Be mad at  gov't idiot laws, not necessarily at the importer or Remington.
I feel your pain , my friend.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2010 at 00:44

Whay kind of customs charges do the importer incur? Do you have access to a customs table to figure the value of the charges?
Here in the U.S., German scopes are charged 14.9% + bond + brokerage fees to get in the country. All of this adds up to put most of these scopes out of the average persons' budget.
Firearms imported into Australia may incur a substantial charge because of strict firearms laws.
Be mad at gov't idiot laws, not necessarily at the importer or Remington.

It's definitely the importer. Mass produced guns like Savages, Rugers and Weatherbys which are imported by other importers are reasonably priced, they usually sell for around 1.5x the U.S. price or less, while Remingtons, imported by Raytrade their Aussie importer, sell for 2x the U.S. Price or more!

Recently quoted $1995 for a Remington 700 CDL L-Her and $1400 for a Remington 700 SPS Varmint. You'd get a 10% discount if in cash.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 14:41
Well, that's not a problem.  Just don't buy a Remington like I don't do here in America.   Except that you save more money in Australia by not buying Remington than I do.  Bucky

Roll on Floor Laughing
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 16:21

I would suggest you consider a Tikka T3 http://www.tikka.fi/t3rifles.php  they have a three shots in one inch guarantee and the stainless with black stock should be around $600.  If you select that I would suggest Talley lightweight rings.  As for the scope I would strongly consider the Trijicon Accupoint illuminated reticle scopes. Sometimes there are some on Samplelist    http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&mfg_selection=29&prod_type=-1&hide_sold=false    at reduced prices other than that right now the Bushnelll 4200  3-9 is marked down about $50  and is a real bargain,  I just wish they had marked down the 4-16x40 also,  I need a scope also and I particularly like that one.   As far as fixes 6x scopes they are supposed to come out with a 6x Super Sniper but I wish I knew when as I really like the Super Sniper scopes. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 23:21

Thanks for that Uri, i've seen it before but it didn't take my fancy...had a proper look and it seems to tick all the right boxes...that model seems to sell for the same price as SPS Varmints over here.

How good is the 4-16x40 Bushy Elite 4200???
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2010 at 22:59
The 4200 seies Bushnells are a fantastic scope. Some argue that they are the best deal going in the price range.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2010 at 23:28
Get the Savage rifle.  You won't regret it!

The Bushnell Elite 4200's are very nice scopes, too.
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 15:12
How do people feel about kimber rifles, specifically the 84m? I have always liked the looks of them, but they are not cheap and I have heard lots of talk, or perhaps more rumor, of QC problems and less than desired accuracy. I know that for a hunting gun, most rifles will shoot more accurately that I can really hold steady so absolute precision isnt necessary. However, If I am going to spend a grand or more on a firearm I would like it to perform up to that class of firearm with regards to accuracy.

Does anyone own a kimber 84 and if so how do you like it/how does it shoot?
-Michael
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 15:27
talk to rifledude he has one of the prettiest 84m's you will ever see.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 15:31
thanks for the info, I will. They seem like great rifles I just don't have any personal experience with them and they seem to get a LOT more negative criticism than other thousand+ dollar firearms.
-Michael
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 19:43

Be mad at  gov't idiot laws, not necessarily at the importer or Remington.

I like to mention that not only do we have a major military treaty between us, the ANZUS Treaty, but we also have a trade treaty, the AUSFTA. To me, that should equal cheaper guns over here.

Korea...Vietnam...Gulf War I...Gulf War II...We were there! Still in Afghanistan too!

BTW, I phoned the local gun shop where I am and asked how much for a left handed Remington 700 SPS in .223....They don't import these to Australia!! But you can get a left handed Rem 700 SPS Varmint or a CDL though.
dls56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dls56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2010 at 14:24
In response to the original post I have a T/C Icon in .308 that is an incredible shooter. It came with a factory target, adjustable trigger, nice walnut stock, intregal scope mount milled into the reciever, R5 rifling, 3 lug 60 degree jeweled bolt with removable, interchangable butterknife handle.
If I sound like a commercial for this rifle it's because mine (can't attest to any others) is one of the best out of the box rifles I own. The factory target on mine was generated with Hornady 168 grain A-Max factory rounds. I've been able to shoot 1/2 MOA at 200 yards and kill a couple of whitetails at 300 and 360 yards respectively as well as some others closer in. Mine has a Leupold VXII 4X12 fixed parallex with LR reticle that matches up well with the 168 A-Max at 10.5 power for bullet drop.
Hope this helps, and best wishes.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 08:25
What is "R5" rifling?

Edited by Tip69 - February/03/2010 at 08:25
take em!
dls56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dls56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 18:09
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic