OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

223 Vs 22-250 Vs 243...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2010 at 02:19
correction- I was taking a previous poster's word that .224 55 grain ballistic tips were .25, while they're actually .267.  This means my 10% statement isn't correct.  However, the fact still stands that a .243 55 grain ballistic tip has a slightly higher BC at .276, with the ability to easily push it faster.  I would also like to disclaim that my statement that there's no .224 55 grain varmint bullet with a better BC than .276 is from looking previously years ago.  I can go look up specifics again if anyone would like.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2010 at 09:55
unless a bc is better than at least .1 in any given caliber it doesn't mean squat. whether a bullet varies by .025 would depend more on the velocity it was calculated. Higher bc doesn't have anything to do with pushing it faster, and increase in 100-200 fps in the lower bc bullet will more than make for up for the approx. .025 better bc.
The 69 thru 90 gr .224 bullets are used, they break thru the .4 bc barrier, and while over all velocity is slower the windrift is less.
If terminal muzzle energy is your primary concern-thats a different topic. I shoot my 6mm with the 58s at 4200 fps. , but it still doesn't beat my swift. If barrel heat, cost of shooting and equal performance to say 500 yds is the concern, the 204 wins.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2010 at 13:47
Dale,

Out of courisoty, what bullet/barrel twist combo are you using in your Swift?  The reason I'm asking, I'm in the process of getting a 22 cal 8-twist barrel (I have a butt-load of heavy bullets) and I'm having a difficult choice between the 220 Swift, 220 Swift AI, 22-250 or the 22-250 AI.  All have their advantages/disadvantages.  

It would be switch barrel set up where if I wanted to change I'd just unscrew the barrel, and depending on powder differences, re-zero (which should only take a cople of shots because only the barrel is removed.  The action, stock and scope stay intact). and start shooting.

As far as the ongoing 243/22 cal topic, I feel it comes down to what the purpose of the rifle is.  The heavy bullets and fast twist have really bought the 22 cal into its own but to the same extent, it has for the 6mm too.  On the other hand, if one goes to far in the fast twist direction they prpbably won't have optimum performance for the bullets on the other end of the spectrum due to them coming apart and/or decreased velocity due to more barrel drag.

Thx,

Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2010 at 16:47
Originally posted by tjtjwdad tjtjwdad wrote:

Originally posted by jason miller jason miller wrote:

If it were me, and I were buying a new gun, I'd go with a .204 for small varmints only, and a .243 for all other small game/varmint/predator applications.  Both .20 and .24 caliber bullets are more aerodynamic than .22 caliber bullets.

Thats the setup I have, except, instead of a 243 WIN I have a 6mm Remington.  It seems to me the 24 cal's are more versitle than the 22's.  As far as a 204 those little guys can reach out there and where it falls short on energy the 6mm takes over.  Of note; a 22 cal shooting heavy bullets in 7/8 twist barrels should do well too, problem is, no one makes them that way except, maybe, Cooper or some place like that. 

Savage makes a 1 in 7" twist chambered in .223.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2010 at 21:00
my swift is 1-14 which is one reason for such high velocity. Tikka makes a 1-8 twist 223 also. heavy bullets in 6mm work well, with fast twist also, very high bc.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2010 at 21:36
Thanks,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic