OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mueller Target Scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mueller Target Scopes?
    Posted: January/30/2010 at 12:08
New to the forums, but love SWFA product selection and service. 

I have a newly purchased Savage 12 Long Range Precision Varminter, and am looking at a scope for it.  Im not looking to spend 700 for optics on a 700 dollar rifle (sweet buy I thought for new)  This will obviously be a bench rifle as it weighs as much as an M1A2 Tank, and will see only non rain, nice weather target and pdog shooting environments.

With that in mind I was contemplating the Mueller Target 8-32x44.  I have never even seen a Mueller scope in person, and have seen mixed reviews about them online, even some suggestions Mueller employees posting multiple reviews.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on whether or not this would be a quality product for what I am looking for?  My other choice is a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40.

Thank you for your suggestions
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2010 at 16:50
I have the Mueller 8-32x40 on a Savage 25 in 223, excellent scope, adjustments work well,
glass is equal to my Nikon Monarch 5-20x44, I usually use 24 power on the Mueller shooting at 100 yards have not had opportunity to try it at 300 yards. IMO well worth the $200 I paid.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2010 at 17:37
Cool, thanks for the info.  Was actually debating spending over the Buckmaster for a Monarch, but if Mueller can get the job done....

The LRPV is in .204 ruger, forgot to mention that earlier.

Any other input on Mueller optics or suggestions for a scope for the above need?
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2010 at 18:32
I also have a Mueller apv 4-14x44 mounted on my 10/22 very clear however not enough
power for long distance in my opinion.

I have the Nikon mounted on a Savage model 12BTVS in 223, both the 12 and 25 will
shoot a consistent .500 or less at 100 yards with my reloads.

Note if you decided on the Mueller 8-32 it requires 30mm rings, I used the Burris Signature
rings(Zee) with inserts little more expensive but excellent rings.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2010 at 23:57
Thanks for the info Old Guy, just pulled the trigger and got the Mueller 8-32x44...

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 18:47
How the heck did I miss this thread before?

I suppose it is too late now.

Mueller scopes are decent or the money, but I would certainly take Buckmaster over it.

Generally speaking, in this price range, it is best to avoid scopes with very high magnifications.  You are usually better off sticking to more moderate magnification and paying more for higher quality.

ILya
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 10:04
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

How the heck did I miss this thread before?

I suppose it is too late now.

Mueller scopes are decent or the money, but I would certainly take Buckmaster over it.

Generally speaking, in this price range, it is best to avoid scopes with very high magnifications.  You are usually better off sticking to more moderate magnification and paying more for higher quality.

ILya

Mr. Koshkin

Where does "moderate magnification" end and "high magnification" begin?  And does that break point vary with the cost of the scope?

Thanks
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 22:30
Ok, so got Mueller 8-32x44 Target Dot Scope today, and here are initial thoughts after mounting it. 

Seems well built, well finished.  Clicks of turrets audible and precise.  Eye relief is very good, better then I thought it would be.  I am pleased as could be with clarity of scope, even out to the 32x has a full field of view, you do have to tweak side focus just a bit once you hit heavy mag. 

Now I havent got to see how well it holds up, but I would certainly rate it above my Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14, and probably on par with my Elite 4200 as of right now.  Time will tell how it holds up, if it holds true, and all the other good stuff.  So far, I am very pleased with this scope.
Buster95 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 09:05
I think this scope has only 20 mOA of internal adjustment is it enough?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic