OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles glass quality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles glass quality
    Posted: February/03/2010 at 11:49
I looked through a Kahles CL model the other day, it was the 3x9x42 and it really took my breath away.  Curious how others feel about this scope compared to a Zeiss Conquest of equal power?  I have the Zeiss too and even though it's impressive to me the Kahles really seemed a lot better.  I'm considering the Kahles for a 300 RUM and switching the Conquest currently on the RUM to a 375 H&H.  The 375 has a Leupold VXII 2x7 on it right now just for the FOV on the low end but I'm a little concerned that the VXII will hold up as this is an ultra light 375 and really lets you know when it goes off.  I'd put the Kahles on the 375 but the Conquest has longer eye relief and the Kahles has a side AO which might be handy on the RUM sometime when I'm shooting farther than I should be!

Thanks,
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 11:54
its tough to beat a kahles without spending over $1500. ive had my 4200 elite on my H&H and even with the 3.3 inches of relief i never got smacked.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 12:10
I think I'd keep the VXII on the .375, I believe is size and power range are perfect for the type of shooting most 375s are used for.  I've owned two kahles scopes and yes their optics are quite good, though I think the mid range scopes are closing the gap, you have to remember that the kahles glass hasn't been updated for some years now.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 12:47
I sort of tend to crawl the stock and this one bites my trigger finger quite often when shooting off the bench.  This one will also jump off the rest and just flat out is way too much fun!  I have a lead on a Kahles CL 3x9 for an excellent price and that's why I was considering it.  I know the Kahles line is pretty pricey but this one is about 300 off its usual price and it's NIB.  How does the Conquest compare though?  About the same optically or is the Kahles that much better to you all? 

I won't argue the 2x7 is a good setup for the 375 and I had a 1.75x5 Vari X III on it before but just wanted a tad more top end.  I also have been told to not worry and that the VXII will hold up just fine but for some reason I'm still a little concerned.  Maybe I'm just being anal and maybe I'm looking to upgrade and do my part to help the economy!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 12:50
ive got a 2x7 vortex viper on my .375H&H now its perfect for it. the conquest is a good scope but its not near as good as the cl is. 
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 12:59
I've seen a lot of good things mentioned about the Vortex and maybe I should consider it more strongly.  On the other hand, that stupid CL is still burned in my mind and I'm trying to justify the silly thing!  Guess when I can't I need to take a deep breath and not be so hot and bothered!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 13:02
i would buy the kahles myself you cant go wrong with a kahles.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 13:05
Is Kahles a company on their own or are they part of Swarovski?  I've heard both and am not sure.  I did hear some bad things about customer service which are concerning. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 13:08
kahles used to be tied in with swaro, that partnership has since split, the way i understand it now gamo is going to handle the import of kahles to the usa.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 13:24
For my middle aged eyes, I was unable to tell much difference between the Zeiss and the Kahles. I certainly have nothing bad to say about the Kahles, I just prefer the Zeiss because of its sexy , crisp, black as coal reticle!
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 13:30
I won't argue about the reticle and my checkbook likes the Conquest because it doesn't flinch as  bad when I pull it out!   By the way, in my original post I said this 375 would jump off the front rest, the only other one I ever had do that was the one you have posted at the bottom of your response, that nasty 350 Mag!!!!  That thing wasn't any better on me than the 375! 

Gamo?  Now that's interesting.  Wonder how well that will work out.  Course that would sure make a premium "adult" air rifle!

So I'll again ask what I did a few weeks ago, any reason for concern with a VXII on the 375?  I know Leuopld's customer service is awesome but it's a long way from the mountains back home sometimes.  I know, just being my usual anal self!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 13:39
i wouldnt worry about the vxII on your H&H, leupold will repair it after it breaks. i think you will be fine with it on there.

on a side note: the vortex viper i have on my H&H is recoil tested to handle up to and including .50bmg.

Edited by pyro6999 - February/03/2010 at 13:40
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 13:47
Yeah, I've seen that picture of your Vortex and if I didn't already have the 2x7 that I have I would be looking at that one.  It's a little less expensive too.  Yeah, Leupold will fix it but the problem is the other part of your statement "after it breaks"!  That is never a convenient happening!  I know Leupold tests them to some high recoil too so it really should be okay.  Now to find a different reason for that Kahles!

By the way, Chris LeDoux was a really good guy and I miss him too!
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 14:20

I had a Leupold Vari-x-ll on my 340 Weatherby that kicked worse than any 375 H/H I ever shot and it never gave even a wimper. The only thing I had against the scope was the adjustments took forever to get set. Once you had it where you wanted, you never touched the adjustments. Sure wouldn't want turrets on one! I have not had the same problem with the newer Leupold scopes, but maybe they won't hold up like the old ones?

Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 14:28
Yeah, that 340 is not a light recoiling thing by any means.  This 375 weighs about 7.5 lbs loaded and with this scope on it.  It's a really fast and mean recoil but I'm sure you are right, it should hold up just fine.  As I said, I am being anal but without going to a much higher dollar one I don't know what I'd put on it anyway that gives me the FOV, eye relief and the power range that I already have.  The newer ones should be even better but you just never know.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 14:30
holy crap my gun and scope weigh 10lbs 6oz without any ammo in it.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 14:56
Originally posted by Tulie Tulie wrote:

Is Kahles a company on their own or are they part of Swarovski?  I've heard both and am not sure.  I did hear some bad things about customer service which are concerning. 

Kahles is still owned by the Swarovski group, but they have their own management and is operated as a separate company, competing against Swarovski.  Up until a couple years ago, Swarovski Optik North America was the importer and service center for Kahles, but the two companies have had a strained relationship, so they parted ways in the US... again, even though Swarovski still owns Kahles.  After SONA, Legacy Sports was the importer/ service center for Kahles for a very short time, but that deal got all screwed up and the supply of Kahles scopes in the US started to dry up all of last year.  Now, they just announced at this years SHOT show that Gamo USA is their new importer.

Their CS wasn't bad per se; it was simply nonexistant in the US.  They still took care of the product, but it had to be sent to Austria.  Now, who knows?  The ink has barely dried on their agreement with Gamo, so CS quality remains to be seen.

One thing is certain, though -- Kahles scopes are very, very good.  I wouldn't part with the ones I have.  You can't go wrong in selecting one... provided you don't have a problem with it. 

As for optical quality, I think Kahles is on par with any premium scope optically.  To my eyes, it's superior to Conquest, and Conquest is very good.  But, opinions vary, and which is "better" depends on who you ask. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
BobH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 19:47
I recently purchased a Kahles off of the sample list, and was blown away by the glass. The scope was the 3-9x42 KX. I bought the scope for my brother and after looking through it, offered to trade him my Swaro 3-9x36 for it. I do not have an overly discerning eye, but I can tell you it was fantastic.
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 21:07
Yep, this one is great to carry!  A little more difficult to shoot!  Now you all know why I was worried about the recoil having an adverse effect on the scope.  Anyway, yeah, that's why I was so hot and bothered about the Kahles that I saw, it just knocked my socks off with the optical quality.  I was looking at the side of a mountain an awful long ways off and it was amazing considering it was at the max of 9X. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 22:20
My Kahles ZF84 (6x42) out performs my Zeiss Diavari Victory at 6x in extreme low light conditions.  Shocked the heck out of me...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic