OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

TEST NEW BURRIS ELIMINATOR AND LEICA ER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TEST NEW BURRIS ELIMINATOR AND LEICA ER
    Posted: February/08/2010 at 09:20

This is the February 2010 article written for opticstalk.com by John Barsness, co-author of the quarterly on-line magazine Rifle Loony News, available through the website www.riflesandrecipes.com.

The two new riflescopes reviewed this month are opposites in many ways. The much-anticipated Leica is pretty much a traditional hunting scope, while the Burris Eliminator LaserScope combines laser and electronic technology to provide an aiming point that automatically compensates for range out to 500 yards.

Let’s do things alphabetically and look at the Burris first. At first glance it looks like the laser rangefinding scope Burris has had on the market for a few years now. Unlike conventional scopes, with a tube between two bells, it’s a modernistic design with built-in clamps that fit Weaver/Picatinny bases. The Eliminator is a 4-12x42 variable, and weighs 27 ounces.

A push-button on the side of the scope turns on the laser. This works like any other rangefinder except that the center of the reticle does dual-duty as the aiming point for both scope and laser. The range is displayed in an LED in the view of the scope—and simultaneously one of a series of LED dots located from the center of the reticle downward along the lower crosshair lights up.

The lighted dot is the aiming point. Theoretically, you just put this on the target and pull the trigger, since the scope compensates for both range and up-and-down angle of shots out to 500 yards. I field-tested it on two different days, first on a level shooting range out to 500+ yards, and then in a local canyon where shots could be taken at various angles. Instead of shooting groups at paper targets, I shot at various rocks and twigs sticking out of the snow. This is one advantage of a typical Montana winter: The snow leaves an instant record of where the shot struck—and every shot landed within 2-3 inches of where the illuminated dot was placed, all the way out to 500 yards, and many were direct hits. (Of course, I picked windless days for the shooting.)

Not every cartridge/bullet combination has the same trajectory, so the scope has to be programmed for the ballistics of the specific load used. The test rifle was a semi-custom .223 Remington, built on a Remington 788 action with a medium-weight stainless E.R. Shaw barrel and a Timney trigger. It’s quite accurate, especially with the test load, a 50-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and 26.0 grains of Ramshot TAC, which chronographs around 3350 fps. (Partly the 788 was chosen for the test because it’s so accurate, but it also has a long Weaver base screwed-and-glued onto the action, and I always have a lot of ammo loaded.)

Programming the scope with the bullet and velocity data would have gone much more quickly with the help of an 8th-grader, but I muddled through. The written directions that accompany the scope are pretty straightforward, so programming only took about 6-8 minutes. With familiarity the task could easily be done in half that time.

I used the side-button on the scope itself during all the shooting tests, but the scope also comes with a remote button on a Velcro strap for mounting on the rifle’s forend, a handier arrangement for some kinds of hunting, especially where the hunter needs to be a motionless as possible. I tested this secondary button set-up at home, and it works.

I didn’t test the repeatability of the scope’s standard adjustments, because there wasn’t any point, but for the purposes of the test I did sight-in the rifle 2” high at 100 yards, and that was easily done. (The reticle itself is a pretty much standard plex-type, and works fine even when not lit up electronically.) After the shooting tests, I made my standard nighttime eye-chart test at 25 yards, with the scope set on 6x. It rated a 6+ on the chart, about average for multi-coated scopes and perfectly adequate for most hunting. I expected it to test about like that, despite some Burris scopes testing 7 or even a little better, because complex reticles are normally mounted on a thin, uncoated sheet of glass. This reduces the amount of light reaching our eye slightly.

All in all the Burris Eliminator is a remarkable piece of technology, especially with the real-world price of around $850. It’s on the heavy side, so will probably mostly be used by varmint hunters in its present form, but we all know how electronics shrink over time. I’d expect a smaller version to appear in the future.

The test Leica ER was a 2.5-10x42mm, with a 30mm tube in an anodized matte-black finish (apparently the only finish available, at least right now). It’s remarkably compact for a scope of those dimensions, and weighs only 16.6 ounces. I mounted it in Talley steel rings on Mr. Miserable, my old .338 Winchester Magnum, built on an FN Mauser action with a medium-weight 22’ barrel and one of Mark Bansner’s High-Tech synthetic stocks.

pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 10:08
Any idea the level of protection the aquadura would provide against external fogging?  Also, are the Leica's available with an illuminated reticle...and did the lack of one detract anything during your test?  Thanks.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 10:15
All the hydrophobic coatings provide some degree of exterior fogging protection, because the tiny droplets tend to bead up together and run off.

So far as I know, an illuminated reticle isn't available (yet, anyway) in the new Leica scopes. As far as aiming in dim light, the reticle of the scope tested was plenty good.

308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 10:29
I love these tests thanks JOHN
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 10:44
John,
Good review-Thank you.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 10:57
Thank you for the review very informative as always.

Duce   Smile
Duce
YakAk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 11:52
John,

Once again, Thanks for another helpful review.  It is always appreciated.
I like the compactness of the Leica.

Steve
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 15:15
I would be interested to hear from those who have peaked through both, how the Leica ER compares optically to Zeiss Victory.....
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 16:12

Nice report, John!

With the Leica ER's short eyepiece design, how did the tube length compare to other scopes of the same or similar length?  Just curious if the short ocular housing provides a significant enough mounting length advantage on magnum length bolt actions that it would eliminate the need for extension mounts.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 16:37
pass thru,

I'm going to get a Zeiss Victory to test, because I'm curious too! I haven't tested any scope from Zeiss except a Conquest for several years.
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 16:42
Awesome.....I'll keep my purse strings tight until I see your report!
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 16:43
Ted,

The tube length of the Leica between the bells is 6-1/4 inches, which is nice and long. When mounted on the FN action of my .338, for instance, there's plenty of tube for flexibility in mounting. It would mount real easily on a long-action Winchester Model 70 or Remington 700, for instance.

The tube length on the S&B Summit and a 2.5-10x42 Leupold VX-7, on the other hand, is 5-1/2 inches.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 16:46
That's a pretty significant difference!  Thanks for the info.  That's the one area where I see the Leica ER having a decided advantage over competing premium scopes.  It's a nice design feature!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 18:44

Whatever          I bought my first car for $700.....       
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 19:33
Heck, I bought my first car for $15!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 21:33
shoot, I didn't even have to pay for my first........... oops.... got a little carried away there.  Big Smile

Nice review John, sure glad I talked Chris into having you on this forum.... oops, did it again! Bucky
take em!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 23:05
Good read John, I think alot of us were wondering how the new Leica scopes would be, looks like they did it right.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2010 at 08:13
seems like the S&B is as good as the leica but a couple hundred less?
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2010 at 10:06
Actually about $300 less--and if we count optical quality as the entire measure of a scope.
HOLLOWPOINT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLLOWPOINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2010 at 11:36
Quote Heck, I bought my first car for $15!

In the summer of '35 I presume?!? Wink Big Grin

Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good. Thomas Paine
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic