OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Winchester 70 300 Win Mag!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 11:07
Handloads.  Testing quite a bit next weekend with it.  Have a box of remington corelot factory ammo to break it in with only because its from before the barrel change and a few years old, figure  i can at least salvage the brass while i shoot, clean, shoot, clean.... you get teh picture.  I have 180gr and 200gr pills in a variety to see how she does.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 11:14
Should be a fun process. I would recommend throwing some 190gr in there too.  I went to those this year and don't think I can go back to the 180s.  My gun likes them and after seeing what they did to the elk at 400+ yards, I am impressed.  The 200s would be fun to play with.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 11:33
I have the 220 and 240 in my cart from midway as we speak.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 11:39
Planning on hunting a grizzly or something?

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 11:40
THey say the 240 has the best BC for my target shooting so we shall see.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2010 at 12:15
Very true.  Whatever weight give the best accuracy is the one to use.  I guess I tend to focus more on the hunting side of things than target.  But I do enjoy some target shooting.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 07:15
Sorry KB no pictures last night here is what UPS did to screw me 
02/16/2010

Edited by SVT_Tactical - February/16/2010 at 07:16
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 12:00
Ya UPS has been screwing me since early December on every order.  Nice rig SVT can't wait for a range report, I have a model 70 7mm I want to build and am unsure of barrel selection at this time. Good luck with everything.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 12:08
Rings just arrived so it will be all put together tonight.  and pictures will get posted.  I would give Douglas barrels a call and talk to them.  I sent them my action and old barrel and they installed and put the new barrel on for a total of 450ish.  Worth not having to find a smith to work on the Win70 if you ask me. 
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 12:41
Yesir, price don't sound too bad for installed,  there are not too many gun smiths close here so that should be my best route. Thanks mang.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 12:47
From the day I sent it out to the day I got it back was exactly 3 weeks
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 14:09
These are just a few quick pics, haven't mounted yet just placed everything together real loose until tonight
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 14:55
Very good looking.  
The stock looks a lot better with a heavy barrel sitting in it...  Mine always looked a little "odd" because it was a "thin" barrel.  Heavy is better...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 14:57

The three tones actually look good. IMO, and thats the only one that matters

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 14:58
i think it looks good
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 15:17

Thanks Hunter, glad its not just me being overy excited about the thing

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 15:33
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

240s will probably require a 9" twist or better.    But never know for sure til you try. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 15:33
Oh and by the way, it looks great.  Thunbs Up
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 16:13
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

240s will probably require a 9" twist or better.    But never know for sure til you try. 

I will see how it does with 220 before i use the 240s
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 16:40
One thing I found with mine, I definitely needed a bigger bolt knob.  I found it a little difficult to cycle rapidly with the stock knob.  The bigger knob, at least the way I had it put on, also extended the length slightly and it functioned much better for me that way.  Much more positive control of the bolt.  
Something to think about.  Knob cost me $35.00 from Bill's Bolt Knobs and it cost $10.00 to have the machine shop put it on.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic