OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best AR10 308 rifle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best AR10 308 rifle?
    Posted: February/14/2010 at 12:27
Looking at picking up a new toy, and would be happy to hear the thoughts from folks here on what the best AR10 rifle would be....

Looking at best bang for the buck as well, most value for the least of my cash...

Thanks in advance.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
austin243600yd. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin243600yd. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 22:09
rock river makes some great ar10s DPMS has some relly nice setups just depends on wat type ur lookin for.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 22:38
If you have the money and the time  GAPrecision custom builds some that are extremely accurate.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
diggler1833 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 20:23
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

If you have the money and the time  GAPrecision custom builds some that are extremely accurate.

Ditto...
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 20:48
I'd look at the DPMS SASS.  They put some thought into it and it runs well and accurately.
Had a Gap, pretty much nothing to brag on, not all that accurate, sold it.  THe SASS will out perform it.
BusGunner007 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BusGunner007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 21:32
AR stands for ARmaLite.
Only ArmaLite makes the AR10.

That's what I would go for.  bought Big Grin
"See; be; be the ball, Danny..."
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 23:36
DPMS, and RockRiverArms.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2010 at 07:13
A word or warning/wisdom/whatever:
.308 ARs are not like AR15s, the aftermarket accessories are not all interchangeable.  Armalite and DPMS have slightly different components, their uppers and lowers cannot be swapped between brands.  And, though Rock River makes a great gun, only Rock River makes key componenets for the Rock River .308s.

AR15s are easy: want a new bolt, new barrel, new stock, buy one; .3082, not so much.  Be aware of this before you choose.

Personally, I went with Armalite, gt a good deal, accuracy is good, and they've been doing it for a very long time.
Given what it does well, I don't think I'd sink the cash into a GAP AR10, it is a considerable amount of $$ for a rifle that will probably never reach bolt gun precision and accuracy.

"Best 308 AR" needs to be better defined. Precision? Build quality? Accuracy? Resale value? Durability?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2010 at 17:06
 I don't see it on their website yet, but Bushmaster also has a new .308 out.
 A guy on AR15. com just did a range report on his new one last week with pics. He mentioned that it was a "rebadged" DPMS, but it looked a lot different than the DPMS rifles I've personally seen. It looked nice and shot well,, and I think he was really happy with it.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2010 at 17:17
If I am not mistaken... i believe that DPMS, and Bushmaster are both now owned by Remmy.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2010 at 06:05
  DPMS,BUSHMASTER, REMINGTON,MARLIN,H&R, all owned by Ceribus(sp) hedge fund. Same group that owns-owned Crysler.

Edited by rjtfroggy - February/26/2010 at 06:05
froggy
okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2010 at 09:45
Armalite for my money. Had a DPMS AR15 once that was super accurate, but wouldn't function unless you had precisely the right set to your mouth. Customer service wouldn't touch it cause they said it had been assembled by someone from components!

I finally got the dealer to take it back and get me a Colt that I still have that eats anything. It's been very hard for me to go back someone like DPMS for the .308. Ended up buying Armalite when I just had to have a .308 and am happy with it. Will be ordering an SASS from them when I get the cash.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2010 at 10:40
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

I'd look at the DPMS SASS.  They put some thought into it and it runs well and accurately.
Had a Gap, pretty much nothing to brag on, not all that accurate, sold it.  THe SASS will out perform it.
You had a GAP AR10 or a GAP bolt gun?

I've wondered what their AR10 would run like, more accurate or not.

I have a non-typical hunter and have been very pleased with it (with the exception of having to reload with small base dies else reloads stick in the very tight chamber.)  Accuracy has been very good, fi and finish are superb.

I have not seen a GAP AR10 in person but wondered if it was worth the extra $1500 or so they want over a box stock AR10T.

I put a JP variable gas block on mine, now that it is not terribly overgassed, I really like shooting it.  With the can, it is quiet and definitely puts rounds where needed.

I recommend Armalite.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2010 at 16:55
This is a DPMS that started with a 24 inch stainless barrel and Whiteoak Armory cut it down to 20 and fluted it and installed the Smith Vortex. It shoots very well but is still much heavier than their 16 in  version which really feels almost like an AR-15. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 00:26
I have a Armalite AR10T and it shoots very well for me. But the first 100 to 150 rounds was rather frustrating since the bolt would stick and not go all the way forward after a few rounds. I talked with Armalite about this and they said that was normal and once it is broken in will be fine. And they were correct. I have not had any problems once it was broke in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic