OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Powder Measure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powder Measure
    Posted: February/17/2010 at 19:36
Ok so I used the Lee perfect powder measure for a few charges on the 300 win. mag.  To much powder for it I think. didn't want to work right.  Never had a problem with the 308 loads or the 223 but I guess I am gonna have to get a new measure/dispenser.  I don't spend much more than a hundo or so but what do yall recommend.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 19:38
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 19:39
I have the Lee perfect powder measure as well and I haven't had a problem with magnum loads.  What problem are you having?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 19:47
Doesn't want to dispense evenly.  I make the same movement each time and the powder will either hang up and not drop into the case or it will not have loaded enough.  I can tap the side a  couple times on each movement and it works but thats annoying.  After I set it I loaded 5 cases then weighed them out and with it set a 73gr I got  70, 73, 62, 68, & 48.  On the 48 i was like where the hecks the powder, touched the dispenser and the rest fell out, everywhere.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 19:55
Redding BR
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 19:56
I think it may be the powder.  I started with r25 and after the mess with it didn't try when i went to r22.  testeed it with H4895 and its consitant again.  Guess I dont' need a new measure.  

Have you used R22 in your measure?

Edited by SVT_Tactical - February/17/2010 at 19:58
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 19:57
I know what you mean.  I've just got into the habit of tapping it a lot.  It is not real accurate with extruded powder either.  Especially with more than 60 grains or so.  I've gotten differences of 1.5 grains between charges, but I'm fine with that.  I don't usually load to maximum anyways.  The nice thing about this measure though is that it was CHEAP.  Big Smile
I get better results with ball powder, but that seems to gum up the handle.Sad
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 20:01
So i need a small grainular powder that will work in the 300 win mag to test.  to the drawing board. Any suggestions guys.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 20:05
so it looks like if I am smart enough to figure this out h1000 calls for the most grains would that mean its smaller grainular and might work?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 20:29
RCBS chargemaster 1500.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 20:46
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

RCBS chargemaster 1500.  

+1 on the RCBS. I have the Lyman 1200 and for the most part it is good; zero it, enter your charge and hit the enter button and in a few seconds you have your charge. The problem I have had especially with 4350 is when it is done SOMETIMES it will be a tenth or two over. It is very sensitive to static electricty. When I use the scale to weigh thrown charges the trickle tube gets in the way.
The RCBS comes in two units that can be combined or seperated (the scale and the trickler), and I have read far fewer complaints about the RCBS's accuracy.
The Lyman has been updated since I got mine so speed and accuracy may have improved, but it is still one unit and a little difficult to weigh things with the trickle tube in the way.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 20:50
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Think this is worth a hoot?
I have the RCBS version of that.  It works pretty well....but it will spill too much in the pan rather often.  So I end up picking a few pieces of powder out with tweezers. 
If you call your shotgun a "shottie"....what do you call your pistol?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 20:57
Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

Think this is worth a hoot?
I have the RCBS version of that.  It works pretty well....but it will spill too much in the pan rather often.  So I end up picking a few pieces of powder out with tweezers. 

tweezers?? you sissy, lick the tip of your index finger and gently put it into the pan after a while you can pick one kernel at a time out of the pan. ive done it that way forever. the more powder you want out the more area of your finger you get wet.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2010 at 23:36

Could be static. Try wiping the dispenser with a bounce sheet to reduce static cling. If the powder comes in the plastic tubs wipe the outside of the container also.

If the powder has been open it could have absorbed some moisture. Try using desiccant packs in your powder can.

Last could there be an oily film on your dispenser?
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 04:57
Check out H-1000
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 05:49

I think it may be the powder.  I started with r25 and after the mess with it didn't try when i went to r22.  testeed it with H4895 and its consitant again.  Guess I dont' need a new measure.  

Have you used R22 in your measure?

I use RL22 in my Lee powder measure.  I get consistent loads with it.  But the load I usually use is 46.5 grains.  I do not have any magnum loads.  I find that the Lee measure works fine.  I had issues with AA#9 leaking.  I now use the Lee Auto Disk for handgun loads and that does not leak. 
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 06:16
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Could be static. Try wiping the dispenser with a bounce sheet to reduce static cling. If the powder comes in the plastic tubs wipe the outside of the container also.

If the powder has been open it could have absorbed some moisture. Try using desiccant packs in your powder can.

Last could there be an oily film on your dispenser?

I will try the dryer sheets.  No chance or oil in the dispenser.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 08:49
My method is pretty simple. I set up the powder measure to throw a charge that is slightly light and trickle the rest from a Redding powder trickler on a digital scale.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 12:20
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

My method is pretty simple. I set up the powder measure to throw a charge that is slightly light and trickle the rest from a Redding powder trickler on a digital scale.

Ditto for me only I have an RCBS trickler and old O'Haus balance type scale instead of a digital one.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 12:22
I think i need to invest in a "quality" digital scale and trickler anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic