OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Accurate Bolt 22LR for Practice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accurate Bolt 22LR for Practice
    Posted: February/19/2010 at 08:45
I have numerous 22LR's and all of them are fun to shoot and even the pink 10/22 for the wife has it moments.  I was thinking last night about getting a Bolt 22 and setting it up for practice with the same optics as the new 300 to shoot and practice for less money.  I don't know where to start looking and I dont' wanna spend more than $500-$600 (optics not included in this figure) on a new 22lr.  I have been eyeing the savages but don't know how accurate the 22's are from them.  Anyone with experience?  I do have an OLD marlin 81DL that shoots good but its old and I can't find a optic mount for it (whole issue all together but any info on this would be great too).  With irons at 50yds I can get a single hole with 10shots but it a tubular mag vs a detachable (or even single) and again no optics mount can be found.  Am I crazy thinking about doing this or should I just spend the money on more rounds for the 300? Whacko   Thanks for the input guys.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 09:18

what did you want to practice?? judging wind, fundamentals, working the bolt rapidly, shooting for groups? getting off the bench and learning field positions???

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 09:20
Can you get an Anschutz for that?   My Savage 93 in .17HMR is accurate and not too expensive, not sure about the 22's.

It's a great idea.... good way to practice technique!
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 09:23
looks like maybe you can......

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Category/21/2/Guns/Rifles/Anschutz-Rifles.htm

(5 Images)
Anschutz Model 1415-1416 (GA Number: 942190286) Classified Ad
Anschutz Rifles
Anschutz model 1415-1416 rifle in .22 LR. walnut stock with schnabel forend and raised cheekpiece, swivel studs, and black buttplate, 22" blued barrel ...(read more)

Seller: DA Mills (FFL Dealer)  $595.00

take em!
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 09:28
one thing to consider is the 22 tapped for regular rifle mounts or does it have the 7/8 groove?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 09:45
Anything Anschutz is likely to be very accurate, IF you can get one within your $600 budget limit.  Yes, Savage rimfires have a good reputation for being very accurate.  I don't think you can go wrong with one.  However, I have 2 recommendations:

1.  CZ 452 -- perhaps the best value rimfire rifle out there.  All of them I've shot have been extremely accurate, and they have a good reputation for accuracy.  They are well made and reasonably priced.  A buddy of mine has one we call "sweet thang," and we plink with it all the time at hunting camp.  It will hold its own against any Anschutz for less than half the price, and it's made entirely of walnut and steel.
2.  Browning "new" T-Bolt.  I have this rifle, and mine is very accurate (less than 1/2 MOA).  It has a cool, fast operating straight pull bolt, and it is lively in the hands.  The helical magazine feeds very well.  The stock shape feels good to me.  It's also a nice looking rifle.  It has a tapped receiver so you can install "regular CF" scope mounts.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 10:10
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

what did you want to practice?? judging wind, fundamentals, working the bolt rapidly, shooting for groups? getting off the bench and learning field positions???

More wind judgement and distance.  I plan on using it at a bunch of unknown distances where I place either 12ga or similar small targest, out 100-200 yds (granted a little larger targets at 200) 

I also just want to get back to the basic fundamentals of technique too.  Breathe control, trigger pull, etc.  It would be both a bench and a prone gun with a bipod. 
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 10:10
I picked up a Savage Mark II FV on sale last year. It's great in most respects, but the stock is kinda cheap...something I would never rely on in a high-power centerfire rifle. What I really like is the thing is still accurate and with the heavier barrel I can fire it a lot. I bought 4 extra 10-rd. mags for it and fill those up a couple times while I'm at the range. It's great for getting in lots of inexpensive firing practice in between waiting to take cold bore shots.
Reaction time is a factor...
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 10:11
RifleDude, i will check out the new T-Bolt.  I have seen several CZ's and have not crossed them out.  Have any pictures of the T-bolt setup you use?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 10:16
Bear with me, and I'll post pics of mine.  It may not happen today, but keep reminding me.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 10:18
Will do.  I like the idea of the straight pull bolt you were talking about.  So does it just have back and forth movement no up to get out of lock?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 10:19
Along with the T-bolt, Ruger also makes the 77/22.  I love the .22 and I plan on spending alot more time with it this summer for many of the reasons listed above.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 10:26
if i had the money i would buy one of these.

http://www.remingtoncustom.com/Rimfire_547Classic.aspx
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 10:43
The savage is good at taking 12 ga hulls at 100 yds easily even with a 4x scope, (as are most 22s with the correct ammo), but the scope and extended ranges can be a real problem.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 11:00
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Will do.  I like the idea of the straight pull bolt you were talking about.  So does it just have back and forth movement no up to get out of lock?

Correct.  Just pull straight back to open and the bolt handle pivots to disengage the circular locking lugs from the sides of the receiver.  Push straight forward and the handle pivots the lugs back into locked position.  It's very fast for rapid follow-up shots.  The design originates from a similar rifle (the original T-Bolt) Browning introduced in 1965 and discontinued in the 1970's.

I love this little rifle as much for its unique design as for its accuracy and lines.

Here is a video featuring the new T-Bolt...

Edited by RifleDude - February/19/2010 at 11:02
Ted

Lowglow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowglow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 14:45
I may be biased but try checking out a CZ Rifle  .

http://cz-usa.com/products/by-category/rifles/

They are one of the most accurate off the shelf .22's I've ever shot.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 14:55
and why would you be biased?
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 19:00
biggest problem isn't accuracy of the 22s its windage. not being able to read and correct for it will just have you chasing your shots, not knowing which is the causitive factor, scope, ammo but rarely the gun.
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 22:00
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

CZ 452 -- perhaps the best value rimfire rifle out there...

The CZ452 is no longer being manufactured! CZ have just started manufacturing the CZ455 which IMHO isn't as good looking as the CZ452.

The CZ455 has a shorter barrel that is now pinned. The fore-end no longer has that scnabel tip to it. Also the rear sight on the Lux models are different too.

Old Model LUX:
New Model LUX (20/2/2010...not shown on the CZ website yet so this is a scoop!):
When I read about the change I dropped everything and rang my local gun shop and ordered a left handed LUX there and then! Big Grin They luckily had it in stock.

And as for a Savage...i'd like to tell you if they're accurate or not but I can't as the Mark II BTVLSS i've had on order since the start of November last year hasn't arrived yet!!! Cencored Thumbs Down

From what i've read on the net about the Savage rimfire lineup (Mark II, 93 and 17 series), there's plenty of people more than happy with them.

Here's what i've got on order:

Cheers!

Edited by The Apostle - April/17/2010 at 05:42
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2010 at 08:12
  I have the Savage MarkII with the laminate stock and bull barrel and I can tell you with CCI standard velocity 40grn. bullet at 100 yards all you do is make one hole larger and larger. Itt is drilled and tapped for a regular scope not dovetailed for the rim fire scopes.
 Fantastic for practice and a lot cheaper unless you are reloading. Around here CCI 22's are now $40 a 1000.
 Go for the Savage you won't regret it.
froggy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic