OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell Legend Porros 8x vs 10x

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barn Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell Legend Porros 8x vs 10x
    Posted: September/12/2005 at 21:09
Got invited to go hunting this year and I'm a bit of a rookie.  For basic field use on a budget and from the reviews I have read, I have narrowed things down to Legend 8x42 or 10x50.  For game ID and scanning the area, am I better off with the 8 or the 10x. Weight diff is only four oz.  Opinions?
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2005 at 11:04

Weight difference may only be a four ounces, but the 10X50 is a substantially larger binocular in its physical dimensions. The 8X will be much more comfortable to carry around on your neck. The 8X also sports a 430 ft FOV whereas the 10X can only claim a FOV of 340 ft. This would be a big factor for me in choosing a binocular to "scan the area."  In all, I think you would be better off with the 8X.

Then again, some people feel that a 10X will give better low light performance and that the extra magnification outwieighs the extra size and the loss of FOV as they try to determine the qualities of the animals they are seeing and I can't fault them on their logic.  So in the end you just have to decide which you like better and go for it.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Rusty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2005 at 13:14

Pentax makes decent Porro prism binos too.

gremlin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2005 at 11:53

Those 10x50's porros are mighty big to only have a 4oz difference.

I bought the 8x42 Legend porros instead and never regretted the choice.

Just my two cents.

---------------------------

Take the long way home...

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2005 at 13:04
The Legend 8x42 would be my choice hands down. They should offer you a lifetime of hunting under normal conditions. You will not be disappointed withe these bino's. For the money they are a great buy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic