OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR FFP Pictures?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR FFP Pictures?
    Posted: March/04/2010 at 10:50
Hi

I'm considering an IOR 3-18x42 FFP scope, but I'd like some pics of the ret at low and high powers. I'm concerned that the MP8 ret maybe too small at low power ?

I don't have the luxury of looking through this model before purchase, so pics of the ret at various powers would be useful.

Thanks in advance
steven
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 11:57
I've had the 3-18 and now have the 2.5-10X, both FFP.

The reticle at low end on the 3-18 is indeed difficult to use (not real easy on the 2.5, but better.)

It's the price you pay for a hash reticle in an FFP scope.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 12:01
I have the 3-18x and had the 2.5-10x.  For me I did not like to use them below 4x as they do get pretty small.  They are usable but hard to see on certain backgrounds.  And at a moving target really hard to see, you are mostly just guessing.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 13:22
I disagree with the above somewhat.  The reticle in the 3-18 is one of the best FFP tactical reticles for use on low power, it was specifically designed that way.  While obviously not as good as a big giant #4a or something, it's every bit as good as a typical SFP duplex at 3X. 

I found it much better in low light on low powers than the SFP IORs I had.  They had a much larger open center (obviously, the same as the FFP set on 10X) and the lines in the center were finer and would disappear in low light (but the open center was too big to aim without them).  They also had the tendency to change color (more silverish than the goldish that Leupold reticles change to) in certain light conditions making them blend into the background.  The reticle on the 3-18 always stays dark black and contrasty, easily visible against any background and of course on the low powers the open center is visually smaller as the heavy posts converge on the center of the view.  Pics:

3X:

6X

10X

18X

It remains my easy favorite among non-illuminated reticles.  All that said, a good illumination system takes care of a lot of these worries.  If you like the scope but want the best low light performance, you may want to wait for the upcomming 3.5-18X50.  I believe they made the reticle a bit thinner but you can illuminate the center dot.  Also, the 50mm objective should be an improvement as the current 3-18 isn't the best low light scope--my old 4-14X50 thumped it pretty easily in image brightness in low light conditions even though its reticle would disappear earlier.

Hope that helps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 13:25
I guess it depends on what he means by "use the reticle."

For aiming, sure, no problem, the reticle is clear and usable at all power settings.  For ranging, it ain't nearly as easy at low setting as it is at higher magnification.

And the new illumination system IOR is using if FAR BETTER than the old. New illum is just the dot, not the whole thing; and it isn't too bright.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 14:02
Yeah, naturally, you want to use higher powers for ranging.  That goes for SFP too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 15:17
I might be stupid, but how could a plex reticle be too small for shooting at low power?

There "should" always be a crosshairs, put the target in the middle: bang.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 14:38
Maybe I made it more difficult than it had to be.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 15:07
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Maybe I made it more difficult than it had to be.

It's a gift...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 15:28
You gotta dance with who brung ya!
Sniper6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 19:35
I must say, GOOD job getting those pictures so clear.
 I have also been interested in the 3-18X42 FFP.
What a great hobby!
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 01:16
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I might be stupid, but how could a plex reticle be too small for shooting at low power?

There "should" always be a crosshairs, put the target in the middle: bang.

Very easily.  By being too small.  And/or not staying black.  There's nothing complicated about it.  Some are thinner than the IOR above is even at 3X, add some color changing-blending into the background and you get a reticle that can be slow to pick up and difficult to see in low light conditions.  For some examples, I've found Leupold's standard plex reticle to leave much to be desired in low light conditions, not to mention their "wide duplex" they've been sticking in things lately.  The plex in my 6.5-20 Vortex Viper would be a horrible choice to go hunting in the woods with in the evening.  Of course that's not what I bought it for but it serves as an example nontheless.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 10:44
The Sightron thin plex is very fine, but not a problem for bench shooting.

I understand reticles not being thick enough for some circumstances, but don't see how a reticle can be too thin for bench work.

I've run the 3-18 and now the 2.5-10 and yes, at lowest power, they ain't ideal, but are far from unusable.

I understand your point, but have yet to see a reticle too thin to be used on the bench.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 15:12
Who said anything about use from the bench?  Pretty much anything works from the bench, but that's not what the OP was asking about.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic