OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope or stock upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope or stock upgrade
    Posted: March/05/2010 at 08:40
I bought a Rem. 700 sps varmint 22-250 about a month ago. I know the stock will need replacing eventually. the current one has alot of flex and the barrel is not free floated. but... i also need glass for it. i need opinions and wether you guys think it would be better to upgrade the stock and get a cheaper scope for now or put the money in better glass now and save for a stock later?

Thanks 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 08:48
how much money do you want to spend?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 08:52
are you kidding.......... this is an "OPTICS" forum!!!   Get the glass babyCheers
take em!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 08:55
I'd have to say go with quality glass first. (as well as quality mount and rings.)  You can always do a little work yourself to the stock to make it a little better until you get the funds to get a good one.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - March/05/2010 at 08:56
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 09:01
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

are you kidding.......... this is an "OPTICS" forum!!!   Get the glass babyCheers
haha I was thinking the same when i posted the question! but there really isn't a dedicated "stock" forum to get the other views.

And to answer the question about money. either get a scope around $300-400, or a stock for $200 w/ a scope for around $100-200
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 09:04
well....... that Nikon Primos might be just the ticket for you then..... sort of best of both.... if you can live with the BDC!
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 09:07
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

well....... that Nikon Primos might be just the ticket for you then..... sort of best of both.... if you can live with the BDC!

yeah, thats what i have on my 22-250 too, it works just fine.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 09:12
That or get the stock and the vortex on sale for $99. If you can wait for it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 10:23
I would say the decision depends on how bad the stock really is.  If it is a totally unusable piece of junk and you can't fix the bedding issues sufficient to get the rifle to shoot decently, I would take care of that first.  If you can get the bedding worked out so that it shoots reasonably well until you can get a better stock, I would get the scope first.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 10:27
thats a good point. i can always dremmel out the barrel channel to get it floated and bed it before dumping money in a stock
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 13:23
Hello 03mossy,
My Remington synthetic stock is a different model, so this might not work for you.

Bed a piece of 3/8" threaded steel rod into the length of the forend. Make sure you have it fitted into the solid tip and a short distance- not all the way through- into the material in front of the recoil lug area... if you cut the rod length just right, it can be seated at each end.  Assure mechanical lock between the stock and the epoxy by cutting lots of shallow grooves with a Dremel into the stock cavity- just cut only where you will fill in around the rod with epoxy so you don't add weakness instead of strength.
You could use square tube aluminum in place of the steel rod. Make sure everything is clean before you start. Try not to obscure your vents too much.

Before you put it together, grind down/flatten a small length of the rod threads just above the front sling stud. Drill through the stock and rod after epoxy sets and replace that screw- in stud with a bolt- through stud. That could save an expensive scope in future. Make sure to dam off a small area over the rod to keep epoxy away from where the nut will snug against rod.

Remington uses raised ramps near the forend tip to apply upward pressure to the barrel.  That 26" barrel might have better harmonics with the pressure, beats me. If it's already shooting groups, just bed the action and the tip bumps. You've already made it shoot better with the more solid forend. If it isn't shooting to start with, then try a full barrel bed or just bed the action and float the barrel... you can try all kinds of things- not sure if Remington synthetics lend themselves to a free float.
Let it all setup a couple of weeks before you shoot it.

You can also add a good soft-type expanding foam to the butt stock and restore balance to the stock and make it quiet and a little stronger. Some of the more aggressive foams can expand too much.

You can do this for maybe $30 and have yourself a lot of fun making a fine, custom, rigid and quiet stock.
If it was shooting to start with, why bother. If this doesn't help, then you can go buy yourself a custom and then spend time getting it to work.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 20:56
GOOD GLASS FIRST
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 21:00
In the grand scheme of thing they are both important
I'm classic shag nasty type.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 21:27
With better glass it will be easer to see the changes that the bedding makes. IMO
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 00:30
Good glass then the stock.  You can play with cheap ways to improve the stock after you have the scope.  And while you play around, you will either find something that works, or you can save money to buy a new stock.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 09:20
Get a used stock. People are dumping nice ones all the time on Sniper's Hide. You could get an H-S Precision or such. Saw one recently go for $165 vs. $325 and up for a new one.

As long as either the stock or the scope is sub-par, you won't get the best out of that rifle. If it wasn't a varmint rifle, I'd get a good stock first and a decent scope good out to 300 yards. But if you're looking to get out there a ways both a better stock and a quality scope will be needed.
Reaction time is a factor...
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 10:50
I  recently had to deal with the same issue: new SPS-based rifle.

I shot the original stock and hated it, it is straight-up terrible.

My advice: get a decent scope and upgrade the stock.  That stock will actually harm your shooting skill, it is a poor piece of gear.

A decent used H-S can be had for $200, and a new McMillan for about $400-500 (HTG or A1 or A2.)  A stock that fits properly will help your shooting.

There is, in the optics world, this floating line of "good enough", and you can get a scope that is good enough for now - and upgrade later to the  dream scope.  Upgrading the stock later might introduce bad marksmanship habits to your shooting, and a better scope can't help that.

Here's "ol girl" after the upgrade to an adjustable McMillan HTG.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 10:56
for about $150 you can pickup a hogue overmold stock with the pillar bedding, i have on my .375H&H and it works great.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 11:05
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 12:58
Stockys has some reasonable laminates if you're a fan of wood stocks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic