OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need input: NF vs. Trijicon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need input: NF vs. Trijicon
    Posted: March/05/2010 at 14:06

Purchasing a scope for my AR-15 for use mainly at target range, up to 600 yards. Though I will want to be able to use it on the occassional varmint hunt.  (Though if I am being honest, its just as much a toy as anything else - albeit an expensive one).  I currently have an ACOG TA31 with DR sight which is great for close/medium range and CQC.  Now I want something for long range fun.  I have narrowed it down to the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x56 zero stop mil dot, and the Trijicon AccuPoint —5-20x50 (TR23-2G).  Not sure I need the 20x for 600 yards max and the 3.5x low end gives more flexibility. However, price different is significant netween the two. Though I would spend it if worhtwhile.  I would love a little advise from any experts out there. Thanks, USA15

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 14:25
Its really hard to go wrong with a Nightforce although I would pay the extra to get one that is mil dot reticle and 1/10 mil clicks.  The Nightforce has about 110 moa of internal adjustment and useable illumination. The Trijicon has only 50 moa of internal adjustment and has both tritium and fiber optic illumination which I like very much.  I would mount either using a La Rue mount.  I think the Trijicon has enough adjustment for a .223 where I would feel limited by it if I was shooting a heavy 30 cal gun at 1000. The Trijicon is just as good of glass and the feel of the adjustments are just as good so I really like the scope if you can live with 50 moa half up half down and 1/4 moa clicks which for half the price I could do.  Also go with the mil dot version not the post version the post looks odd under different lighting conditions.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 14:31
Keep your eye on the samplelist and see what pops up. There have been several Nightforce scopes on there and for great prices....Currently there is a good USO http://www.samplelist.com/USOptics-32-17X44-SN3-Riflescope-DEMO-B-P352.aspx
I
know you didn't mention that but it may be worth a gander.  Are you set on just those two brands or would you like other suggestions as well?  Whats your price range?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 14:55
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Keep your eye on the samplelist and see what pops up. There have been several Nightforce scopes on there and for great prices....Currently there is a good USO http://www.samplelist.com/USOptics-32-17X44-SN3-Riflescope-DEMO-B-P352.aspx  I know you didn't mention that but it may be worth a gander.  Are you set on just those two brands or would you like other suggestions as well?  Whats your price range?

Fixed Link.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 15:18
Optically, those two series scopes are on par with each other.  If you will be doing a lot of knob turning, I'd say get the NF.  It is mechanically rock solid and has twice the internal adjustment range.  I like the illumination on the Trijicon better, but the NF has more reticle options.

I would also take a look at the IOR 4-14X50 with MP8 reticle. 
http://swfa.com/IOR-4-14x50-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P10807.aspx
It has better optics and better illumination than the NF, is probably just as rugged, and is a bit less expensive.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 15:36
I have owned many Nightforce scopes and never been disappointed (once I got over the entire ocular turning with power change and the pain it is to change the illumination intensity.)  I have also owned the IOR mentioned and several Trijicons - though not the 5-20.

IOR is the "best bang for buck" winner, but you'd better hope to be lucky, their customer service can be decent or very bad.  That said, the 4-14 is a good scope at a fair price. I;d get it with the new knobs and the improved illumination.

Nightforce is rock solid, their glass is adequate (my 3.5-15 went out to 1,000 yards many times and never had a problem), and the mechanicals are dead on.

Trijicon makes good scopes, their glass is nice for the price range and their reticles can be great.  I am not a huge fan of their post reticles for long range, and not a huge fan of the feel of the 5-20 turrets.

If money is an issue, you should be good with the IOR.  If money is no issue, I'd get the Nightforce.  For what you want to do, not sure Trijicon would be on my list.

Given what a Nightforce will run, maybe consider a Vortex Razor too.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - March/05/2010 at 15:38
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
USA15 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 08:12
Thank you all for your valuable input. Still undecided at the moment- probably leaning towards the nightforce as perhaps the better long term investment.  May watch the auctions for a bit and see if any really good values come up.  Thanks again for your help, USA15
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 12:34
+1 on the Nightforce. I have a number of them and have been very pleased with them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic