OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Replacement stock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldribm_123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement stock
    Posted: March/08/2010 at 23:26
I am looking to replace the stock on my Remington 700 SPS Tactical.  It has the factory Hogue Overmold which I really do not like.  I am currently looking at two options, either Bell & Carlson's Adjustable Medalist Tactical or the H-S Precision Pro-Series Tactical.  Basically I am wanting an adjustable stock, but I don't know much about either model other than what I have read on sites selling them.  This isn't much help as far as which is the better choice.  There is a couple hundred dollar difference, but I don't care to pay it if the H-S Precision is a better stock.  Just looking for a little insight and any help would be much appreciated.
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 23:33
Get Your Popcorn Ready
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 07:09

This is gonna be answered in a way that your not gonna like, Some will say the HS is better some the B&C some will say McMillian.  All are good stocks and if possible to see them in person it will help you decide.  If I were buying I would go with the HS only because I like the feel and features but I have owned several B&C's too.  Its a coin toss and I think you would be happy with either one.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 10:39
Like two pair of pants made by different , reputable companies and both say they are your size ,,one may fit better .. Just need to try them on
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 10:44
I have an adjustable HS stock and really like it.  I had a McMillan A3 stock which I added a Karsten cheek piece to and really liked it as well. 

But like Martin said, try them out if you can.  Go to a range and see if you can find someone that has them.  It is a lot of money to spend and turn out not liking it, and it is worth spending the extra if one fits you better.

Edited by supertool73 - March/09/2010 at 10:44
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 10:47
I like the Bell & Carlson BUT the Godless Communists don't make one for a Lefty. Go with the HS!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 10:52
SuperTool brought up a good point about the Karsten Cheek piece.  You can make non adjustable stocks have adjustable check pieces for cheaper than you can normally pay the difference for one built in...just FYI 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 10:52
I'd throw Manners into the mix too, great stock, great service, very good price.

Having shot Manners, McMillan, H&S, Accuracy International, and a host of others, my favorite is McMillan A5, it fits well (6'5", 210 pounds), better than the others.  It ain't cheap, but there is nothing better of which I know.

Holding a rifle in all the stocks will help, shooting them in the stock is the real test.  I prefer the feel and - stupid as it may sound - the sound of a McMillan stock when the rifle goes boom.

It's all personal preference.  Once you get to fairly high end stocks, they hold their value well.

If you decide on H&S, watch the forums, they are for sale constantly at much less than retail.

Also, be advised: some stocks do not have rigid bedding inserts, those without "might" require bedding to shoot well, that's another $150 and more time waiting for it.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 12:58
RC is right, look at a manners T-4A also. Great stock, I'm just backwards to the rest of the world.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 14:21
All of the above mentioned stocks are good quality, so you won't make a huge mistake regardless of which of those you choose.  It really boils down to which one feels and looks best to you.  I know it can be hard to personally handle all of these stocks, but you'll get so much more enjoyment out of shooting a rifle that "feels right" to you, and the stock has more influence on feel/ ergonomics than any other single component of a rifle.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 16:34
I've never seen fit to replace my H-S stocks, although I think ones like the MacMillans are better. So do enough people that actually consider it important enough to upgrade. That's why you can usually find one used. Good customer service too. I once stripped a screw head overtightening it and they sent me a new set of screws without hesitation...and this was not a stock I'd bought directly from them either.
Reaction time is a factor...
55spartan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55spartan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 04:14
I love the pro-series on mine and not sorry I went with it in spite of the extra $$$
aldribm_123 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldribm_123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 12:35
Thanks for all the info guys. Hopefully I can make up my mind. That Manners appears to be nice, I had never heard of them before. By the way nice avatar Benz, could have been a little better team though.( haha )
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 23:18
Well, when your new boss was the CEO of the Team, you tend not to talk bad about them.  LOL!!!
Edited: and if I play my cards right I'll be driving a hand built SLS on our test track next month.
Life is good!   

Edited by Steelbenz - March/12/2010 at 18:00
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldribm_123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 08:47
Thats cool Benz. I'm more of a Massa fan myself, but was glad to see Alonso join even though he is a bit of a cry baby.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldribm_123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 08:50
I don't have any way of getting to feel either stock, but from what I'm hearing here and else where, I won't be disappointed with the H-S.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldribm_123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 09:35
Benz, I hope I'm not over stepping my boundaries here, but what do you do for Mercedes?  I know it's none of my business and no hard feelings if you tell me to buzz off. Just curious.
diggler1833 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 07:04
The vast majority of shooters will generally find that the H-S stocks don't fit their hand as well as some of the other (read: more expensive) aftermarket stocks.

I had two H-S stocks on my Remmy 5R before I finally bit the bullet and got a McMillan A4.  That stock fit my shooting hand TONS better (YMMV).  Don't get me wrong, the rifle shot just as well with the H-S stocks, but the shooter shot better because he wasn't thinking about the placement of his shooting hand all the time if you know what I mean.

I have an SPS Tactical too, and it was never fired with the factory Hogue on.  The rifle wasn't shot until after I bedded it in a McMillan A5.  I love the way that that stock fits my hand as well.

Now, I just had my 5R rebarreled to .260, and put it into a Manners T4 stock.  I honestly think that the Manners stock fits my hand the best so far, but it is a close call between that and the McMillans.

I've also shot, but do not own AICS stocks.  They fit me well too, but at the price that they demand I don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon.

I have owned one Bell and Carlson stock, and the inletting canted the bottom of the stock off probably a good 10 degrees, making it impossible to shoot well, never again.

Here is my SPS Tactical, good factory shooter with a bit of tweaking and load development.  Hope you like yours.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 13:22
REALLY nice rig, Diggler!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic