OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Gun Laws Down Under...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun Laws Down Under...
    Posted: March/09/2010 at 10:00
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

What are the rules regarding purchases down under AK?  have to get a permit for each one or do they call it in for approval each time? or what?

I could write a whole book on this...but it depends on what you want to own. Basically, Australia's gun laws are very restrictive and complex (a lot of waiting and paperwork) when compared to the United States.

Of note is the section at the start regarding firearm categories/classes (same thing). Here it is with corrections:

Originally posted by Wikipedia Wikipedia wrote:

Firearms in Australia are grouped into Categories [or classes] with different levels of control. The categories are:

* Category A: Rimfire rifles (not semi-automatic), shotguns (not pump-action or semi-automatic), air rifles, and paintball rifles.

* Category B: Centrefire rifles [bolt action and pump action rifles] (not semi-automatic), muzzleloading firearms made after 1 January 1901. [they forgot combination guns]

* Category C: Semi-automatic rimfire rifles holding 10 or fewer rounds and pump-action or semi-automatic shotguns holding 5 or fewer rounds. (Restricted: only primary producers, occupational shooters, collectors and some clay target shooters can own functional Category C firearms)

* Category D: Semi-automatic centrefire rifles, pump-action/semi-automatic shotguns holding more than 5 rounds (functional Category D firearms are restricted to occupational shooters; collectors may own deactivated Category D firearms).

* Category H: Handguns including air pistols, deactivated handguns and guns less than 65 cm long. Target shooters are limited to handguns of .38 calibre or less.

(Participants in "approved" competitions may acquire handguns up to .45", currently Single Action Shooting and Metallic Silhouette. IPSC shooting is not "approved" for the larger calibres, for unstated reasons. Category H barrels must be at least 100 mm (3.94") long for revolvers, and 120 mm (4.72") for semi-automatic pistols, and magazines are restricted to 10 rounds. Handgun collectors are exempt from the laws stated above.)

Say I want to buy a Remington SPS Varmint bolt action rifle. It is a class B firearm here in Australia. I have a gun licence and can own A and B class firearms*. To purchase one I do this:

1. Go to dealer personally or ring up. Hopefully it's in stock...if not order it in.

2. If it's in stock or when it has arrived, I have to fill a permit form. I fill in details on the form such as my details (address, licence # etc), the dealers details (such as the dealers licence # etc) and the firearms details (make, model, class and serial # etc). I either hand this in at the nearest Police station, post it in to the Police Firearms Branch or hand it in personally to the Branch (fastest).

3. I wait until they have approved the permit. When I first got my licence (end of 2005) this usually took 4-6 weeks, then it went to 28 days but just recently, if you already own a gun of one particular class and you want to buy another of the same class, the wait has been changed to 1 week (applies to me!). The Police Firearms Branch will check on the Police system if there is anything stopping you from owning guns (charged with any or sentenced for a serious crime, court orders, restraining orders, if you've been judged mentally unstable etc). Once processed they will post it out to you.

4. When I receive the approved permit in the mail, I have 4 weeks to pick the rifle up from the dealer.

5. I go to the dealer and show him the approved permit. He gives me the rifle and I pay for it and then walk out with it.

6. When i've done that, I have to go to a Police Station ASAP and register the rifle. The Police will check whether the rifle and the details on the permit match (particularly serial #). Once done, I pay the $25 fee to register it, the Police send the witnessed and signed permit form back to the Police Firearms Branch for final processing.

7. I walk out the door with my new play toy and can now shoot it.

Of course this is only a very basic summary and doesn't include if the dealer wants a deposit while waiting for the permit to process. Nor does it include C & D class firearms or H class (handguns).

At this stage I can't own any C, D or H class firearms (like 95% of gun owners here) because I don't qualify to own them and they're heavily restricted. (Wikipedia article says who can.)

* Everyone who has a firearms licence is authorised to own A and B class firearms...with probably the exception of my Dad who only wanted to own shotguns so he just ticked A class when going for his firearms licence. Loco
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 10:05

Thanks for the info I always like to know what the laws are in other countries.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 10:32
* All firearms must be stored in a locked steel safe when not in use.
* All bolts must be taken out of bolt actions and securely stored separately from them...Police say this but it isn't in the Firearms Act.
* All ammo must be stored in locked metal box/case and stored separately and away from all firearms.
* Large calibre military rifles (.50 cal etc)...either banned or soon to be!
* Silencers/Supressors...banned!
* Folding stocks...banned!
* Magazines on a B class firearm with a capacity of more that 10 rounds...banned unless you're "primary producer"...Lee Enfields were Grandfathered but the Remington 7615s when they first hit Australia's shores came with a 10 round magazine but the government soon afterwards forced Remington to issue them with 9 round mags cos the ones with a 10 round mag you could have a full mag and also put another round in the chamber.
* You can only possess 12 months worth of ammo at one time.

At this point in time, there is a big push happening from shooting organizations in Australia to have C class firearms unrestricted. There is a rumour floating around that one state is going to make 5 shot pump action shotguns changed from C class to A class. If done, all states here will change their laws to accommodate this change.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 10:53
12months worth of ammo?  how do they define that?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 13:31
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

12months worth of ammo?  how do they define that?

They can't really. I know people occasionally get charged with stuff like that but it rarely stands up in court...if it even makes it at all.

Edited by The Apostle - March/28/2010 at 10:52
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 13:50
AK, my friend your country was beautiful when I was down there. Great people, food, weather everything, but your government sucks bro. Between the taxes and the laws, how do you survive? Not to mention you drive on the wrong side of the road!   LOL !
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 14:02
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

AK, my friend your country was beautiful when I was down there. Great people, food, weather everything, but your government sucks bro. Between the taxes and the laws, how do you survive? Not to mention you drive on the wrong side of the road!   LOL !

Yeah, man I know.

I've always wanted to go through the Black Hills area.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 16:22
Man, that sucks, AK.  Our friend "8 Shots" here on the OT lives in S. Africa, and faces similar hurdles to gun ownership.  Many of our politicians here would love to mimic those laws given the chance, but they know if they did so overtly, it would be political suicide.  So they are more stealthy and incremental with their strategies.  This shows why we gun owners need to be ever vigilant in making our voices heard.

Edited by RifleDude - March/10/2010 at 16:23
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 18:33
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Man, that sucks, AK.  Our friend "8 Shots" here on the OT lives in S. Africa, and faces similar hurdles to gun ownership.  Many of our politicians here would love to mimic those laws given the chance, but they know if they did so overtly, it would be political suicide.  So they are more stealthy and incremental with their strategies.  This shows why we gun owners need to be ever vigilant in making our voices heard.

AMEN Brother Ted AMEN! I know we have friends here who don't like the NRAs mouth piece, but we still need to be a member and vocal at the polls.   
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 00:13
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Just watch out for this woman...

She's the reason that I can't own Ruger 10/22's or 5 shot Pump action shotguns...
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 02:29
Try South Africa....
In order to own a firearm you have to:
Do a compentency training course with a registered firearm trainer. This is a very basic course such as how a firearm works, the firearms act etc. One also have to demonstrate that you can load, fire, and handle a firearm correctly.
This costs about $100.
You then have to take this certificate to the police and apply for a Firearm Competency Card. This includes a lifestyle audit (no drugs, criminal record, wife bashing etc) The police interviews your spouse and a close friend. Yes, they do. You give the cops a set of finger prints.
You pay $12 and wait. And wait, and wait. When you are finished waiting, you wait a bit more and then enquire about the progress. (About 9 months has passed by now). You are told that the documents have been lost and you must reapply. So you do. About 12 months later you get this amazing phonecall that your compentency card can be collected.

You have to own a gunsafe that complies to the act. The police will inspect such a safe.

You take your competency card to the gunshop and select your purchase. The competency is specific for either a rifle, shotgun or pistol/revolver.The dealer requires full payment up front. You leave the gunshop minus the gun and minus your cash.

You apply at the police station to own this specific firearm, serial no so and so. You write a motivation that rivals War and Peace, with photgraphs of your safe, your home security system, your intended use and your mother-in-law just for good measure. You make about twent copies, as this application is bound to go missing. You hand it in with another $12.

Now you wait, and you wait. Sometimes you get lucky and the application is not lost, misplaced or just thrown into the dustbin. Other times you submit a second copy. Anything from a year to two years later your lic arrives.

You can now take this lic and collect your rifle, which by now is either rusted, lost or has erroneously been resold.

Edited by 8shots - March/11/2010 at 02:30
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 03:04
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Try South Africa....

We did about 110 years ago...

Anyway, in Australia you can only own handguns if you are a member of a gun club, done the introductory attendances (this with all the attendances and paperwork takes a year) and are prepared to only shoot your handguns in competitions 6 times a year...I recently told the cops to stick my H class on my licence where the sun don't shine.

I've had the chance to buy a sawn-off shotgun from a man in a pub about 2 years back and just recently this guy at work mentioned he could get me a handgun N.I.B. for $500 Australian...I believe him too as he showed me a photo on his phone holding the one he bought from the friend he knows whos got them. He told me these are being imported into Australia via Malaysia.

They put all these laws on law abiding citizens and yet you see in the newspapers and on the news people getting caught and charged with "possessing (a) unregistered firearm(s)". The illegal trade in unregistered firearms in Australia is absolutely huge...way bigger than what the police are letting on. At Australian ports they only check 1 container in every 100.

Makes your blood boil!
55spartan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55spartan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 03:39
another country we are going to have to save eventually
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 04:18
Originally posted by 55spartan 55spartan wrote:

another country we are going to have to save...

...again.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 04:54
We have the same problem of legal gun owners vs illegal. The cops come down hard on the easy visible prey and make a big story when some granny gets caught with a 1808 black powder gun she discovered in her great forefathers lost kist.

The same cops sell confiscated and legally handed in firearms to the black market. They also "lose" thousands of their own guns annually.

We made one mistake when we arrived in Africa in the 1600's - we arrived 400 years to soon! If we only arrived today the natives would have killed themselves off by now!
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 05:40
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

The same cops sell confiscated and legally handed in firearms to the black market.

That's how Martin Bryant got hold of the AR-15 he used to tear up the Broad Arrow Cafe at Port Arthur!

That particular AR-15 was handed in by a man during a gun amnesty in the state of Victoria during the early 1990s when they cracked down on semi-auto rifles after their Hoddle and Queen Street massacres. The Police, instead of sending it to the scrapheap, sold it (as well as a number of other AR-15s) to a Victorian gun dealer. It then made its way to Tasmania...and the rest they say is history...
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 06:08
We have had a few similiar cases where registered gunowners got picked up by the cops after tracing a murder or robbery gun back to them. Fortunately they could all produce the paperwork showing it was handed in to the cops years before the crime took place.
 The only deduction that could be made was that the weapon in question got stolen or sold from police ownership.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 06:22
I know in Canada with their gun registry that they had the problem of multiple guns having the same serial number.
SamC View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 01:36
Sounds like our friends AK and 8shots live in police states where the government doesn't trust it's citizens. Hope that doesn't happen here in the USA.
Join the NRA!
Sam

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
Winston Churchill
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 04:17
Originally posted by SamC SamC wrote:

Sounds like our friends AK and 8shots live in police states where the government doesn't trust it's citizens. Hope that doesn't happen here in the USA.
Join the NRA!
Sam

Ah, c'mon, we've still got a long way to go before we're like England!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic