OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Difference between picatinny and weaver rings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shankapotamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difference between picatinny and weaver rings?
    Posted: March/09/2010 at 16:34
I have a scope on order to put on my AR flat top which has a picatinny rail. Is there a difference between picatinny and weaver style rings?  I'm looking at the TPS 30mm rings and they make both a tactical and a weaver style. Not sure which I need. The picture looks the same for both so it's a little confusing. Also, can anyone recommend a height? The scope is a 1.5-5x24 weaver which doesn't have a large objective and the rifle already has 1/2" mini risers on it. Thanks. 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 17:45

Boiled down, it means that accessories designed for a Weaver system will, in most cases, fit on a “Picatinny” system. The reverse, however, is probably not the case. Due to the larger recoil groove, “Picatinny” accessories will not fit a Weaver system. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule, but for a good rule-of-thumb, “Picatinny” won’t fit Weaver, but Weaver will fit “Picatinny”.

(Taken from a website somewhere in cyber space.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 17:45
Oh and welcome to The OT!
shankapotamus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shankapotamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 18:07
Thanks Cheaptrick. For both the welcome and the answer. Is it advisable to just stick with the picatinny rings in my situation because that's what I have for a rail on top of my rifle? I ask because if the Weaver will work, I'd consider those in case I may use them in a different situation down the road. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 18:28
I love TPS rings. I have a couple of sets and highly recommend them. Get the TSR 30mm rings. 

Without the riser, the HIGH rings will probably work. Mediums may work with a 1/2" riser, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a 1/2" riser. I've seen 1" risers though and low rings with a 1" riser will work fine.

I use a Weaver riser and TPS TSR LOW rings on an AR and it works perfect. You could move the low rings over to another rifle if you choose to switch later. Thats what I do typically.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shankapotamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 18:55
Great pic. Thanks again. I seem to have opened a whole can of worms here. I said riser, but I meant riser blocks. I have a Bushmaster Predator and it came with two 1/2" mini riser blocks. I don't have a front sight to see over so I was thinking medium rings would suffice. Maybe I should get the high ones and get rid of the blocks? Less parts to come loose? I don't know. Do you get a decent cheek weld with the scope that high? I am switching over to a skeleton stock from the A2 so not sure exactly where my eye will land. I'll prob just order the mediums and hope they're right. can always exchange if they aren't. Thanks for your patience. Tend to ramble...
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 18:58
Shank, I would look at the burris PEPR, it will provide the right mounting height and eye relief adjustment.  Many use them on AR's and you wouldn't have to worry about the risers

Edited by SVT_Tactical - March/09/2010 at 18:58
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 18:59
Nice thing about tps rings, you can interchange the cross bolt from weaver to picatiny if needed. don't know if other companies offer that
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shankapotamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 19:03
How is the height adjusted on the Burris P.E.P.R.?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 19:07
there is no provision for different heights so its not. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 19:18
I can close my eyes shoulder my AR and open my eyes and be perfectly lined up with my scope.  It works perfect.
scooter65 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 19:24
Originally posted by coyote95 coyote95 wrote:

Nice thing about tps rings, you can interchange the cross bolt from weaver to picatiny if needed. don't know if other companies offer that

I actually just ran into this problem two nights ago.  I bought rings that were meant for a picatinny rail but didn't realize it.  I went to mount them on a weaver scope mount.  The cross bolt is thicker on picatinny style rings and it will not fit the groove on weaver mounts.

I was able to cut the groove on the mounts just a smidge wider and mount the rings succesfully.  

Edited by scooter65 - March/10/2010 at 06:46
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 13:38
I just use a file...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
55spartan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55spartan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 20:42
agree
Ghost Rider View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 11:05
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Shank, I would look at the burris PEPR, it will provide the right mounting height and eye relief adjustment.  Many use them on AR's and you wouldn't have to worry about the risers

I purchased one of these for my new flat top .308. My 4-14 Falcon will not fit in the rings, they aren't spaced far enough apart for the turret housing. So be mindful of that. It is also  designed to be high enough to clear a front sight post if you have one. Mine doesn't, like the pic above, and wish I would have gone shorter. I don't care for building cheek risers on AR's because they can make it cumbersome for operating the charging handle. I'ma just take the PEPR off and buy some rings for it.
Bronze Star w/"V"...down graded...Article 15,Section 8
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 11:16
They are not designed to be over the front sight.  If they designed them to be high enough to clear the front sight post then they would be to high to get any kind of a cheek weld which is not the case.   They actually pretty much put the center line of your scope right where the iron sight would be if they were on the gun. 

They are designed so when you snap the gun up to your shoulder pocket it is in perfect line with your eye without you having to tilt your neck at all.  IMO they could not be at a more prefect height for that.

you can see by where the iron sights are, they are pretty much perfectly in line with were the scope sits.

Edited by supertool73 - March/18/2010 at 11:27
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Ghost Rider View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 21:25
Oh, my bad. When I called and asked them if they came with different height rings and was told that they only make this size so that when an optic is mounted you wouldn't have a front sight post obscuring your riflescope, I guess their rep didn't know his own equipment. This actually happens, I've had a similar experience with Leupold.
I also had to build up the stock a little to fit me.
Bronze Star w/"V"...down graded...Article 15,Section 8
okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 13:26

There is supposed to be one of these mounts made by the SS folks coming back soon too. The last one had the inserts for 1" that came with it. I got the impression you just left those out to accomodate a 30mm tubed scope. That would be a handy feature to me.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic