OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest or Swarovski Z5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 13:20

Sorry, just happened to check this. The Z800 covered up the entire target center at 300yds. It was an 8" Shoot'n'C target. I was using it so I could see hits easily.

It may be fine for hunting elk and deer, but not prairie dogs I'm thinking.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 13:35
Originally posted by wjm308 wjm308 wrote:

Just spoke with Swarovski NA and they said they can do a reticle change on the Z5 3.5-18x44 BT to a BRX reticle for $170.  It seems that some of you have not liked Swaro's ballistic turrets, is it the turret itself you don't like or the reticle used with the BT scope?  I'm wondering if a BT scope with the BRX reticle would be a fine combination?  Thanks

The reticle that comes with the BT (ballistic turret) is a plex that's very similar to Leupold "thin duplex". A lot of guys don't like it for hunting though I don't mind it. IMHO what would be a better combo (than BT and BRX combo) is a 4a and BT combo though not sure how that would work in the calculations from Swaro or if they would do it. The 4a retilce is a great choice for low light and the BT would compliment it on longer shots.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Quoddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quoddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 13:05
Much of my originally mentioned problem with the BT has been been lessened now that the interior portions of the turret no longer have the "stuck together" newness. Initially, it was a real pain to get the turret apart to zero it. The Plex reticle is just slightly on the fine side for my liking, but I'm still able to see it OK under almost all conditions. I'm doing a lot of range shooting with it right now, and with good success.

Last time out this was a 10 shot target at 100 yards.

.204 Because Speed Kills
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 13:10
that's good shooting..... yes sir!
take em!
NV Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NV Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 09:25
Have you looked at the new Leica riflescope... has a ballistic retice and comes with a billistics program.  Long eye relief and ease of mounting are what they talk about.  Might be worth a look... NV Hunter
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 21:50
I have a RapidZ 800, a TDS and a BMD (ballistic mil dot).  Also, a friend has a Swarovski with a TDS on  FFP scope, 3x12x50 I think.  That scope is on a 300 RUM Bansner rifle he picked up and he wanted me to develop a load for it (what can I say, he's a good customer too).  I ran the ballistics on the reticle and had to download a 200 gr TSX to 3050 fps so that with the lower ballistic coefficient of the bullet the reticle would match the ballistics.

I much prefer the SFP and the Zeiss calculator so I can adjust the power to make the reticle match my ballistics.  With a FFP if the reticle doesn't match your ballistics, you have to change your ballistics to match the reticle.  The only FFP scope I have is a Zeiss Diavari and it now has a ballistic turret installed by Zeiss.

Of course, I prefer my Kahles CL MultiZeros more than either of those 2 anyway.  Whistling
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
wjm308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjm308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 22:26

Quoddy, was that shot with your Cooper? 

That's a beautiful rifle.  NV, as a photographer I certainly know the qualities of Leica glass, but I am unsure of their build quality in terms of a rifle scope so a little nervous about choosing them.

On the other hand, Zeiss and Swarovski are also known for their top quality glass and have been making outstanding scopes for years.

Sakomato, thanks for your input and you make an excellent point with regard to the FFP ballistic reticle.  Works great for a mil or moa system, but not for ballistic compensation because of the reasons you list, I suppose that's why we don't see that out there.  Sticking with the SFP reticle I think is the way to go for a ballistic reticle.  Like you I really like the ability to optimize power setting with the Zeiss calculator, I'm sure there's a way to do that for Swarovski or any other BC reticled scope out there, the question is how to do it so you can find the right magnification for any given load.  It's too bad that Kahles is no more, I've heard good things about their scopes...
Quoddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quoddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 07:38

Quoddy, was that shot with your Cooper?

Yes, that was with the Cooper Montana Varminter .204 and the Swaro 3.5-18x44 BT (Plex reticle) scope.
.204 Because Speed Kills
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 00:36
With the Swarovski ballistics program you can get the range for each reticle with each power setting with SFP scopes.  it works quite well.
wjm308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjm308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 09:39
tjtjwdad, really?  How do I go about doing this as I don't see how to "optimize" the magnification to see what would be the "best" magnification to optimize the 300, 400, 500, 600, 700 yard marks, this is very easy with the Zeiss program, but not so much with the Swarovski one unless I am missing something.  Thank you.

Bill
Quoddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quoddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 14:40
Here's the worst possible background I could find for seeing what the Swarovski Plex reticle looks like under real conditions.

.204 Because Speed Kills
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 16:14

It's too bad that Kahles is no more, I've heard good things about their scopes...

They haven't gone anywhere, they just changed importers after a year hiatus from the US market.  They just won't be making 1" tube scopes anymore, according to their rep.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
GamoOutdoor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GamoOutdoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 11:14
Kahles Optics are indeed back on the US market. There are several posts here with questions regarding warranty and repairs etc. and as posted in another thread all returns will be handled in the US.  Currently there are 2 series of scopes available, the "CSX" Series and the Tactical "K" Series. More information can be found on the website kahlesusa.com.

I am only posting the URL here as an informational resource in an effort to answer as many questions as possible.

Thank You
Kahles USA
Here to answer questions regarding Gamo, BSA Optics, Kahles Scopes and Laser Genetics.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 11:18
Welcome to OT, Gamo!  We're very glad you're here!  Many of us have been long time fans of Kahles, but previous issues with lack of US-based service/support has made us nervous about purchasing any more Kahles products.  It's great to know Kahles is back in the US market!  We always appreciate when representatives from various companies participate on our forum, as it shows a commitment to customer service.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 11:20
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

We always appreciate when representatives from various companies participate on our forum, as it shows a commitment to customer service.

Plus 1!  Howdy
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 11:27
aye!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 11:31
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

We always appreciate when representatives from various companies participate on our forum, as it shows a commitment to customer service.

Plus 1!  Howdy

The few reps that have logged on here over the years, don't stick around very long for some reason. Wink   
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 11:37

Only active ones I can think of are the guys from Vortex.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 11:39
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Only active ones I can think of are the guys from Vortex.

Steve from Millet/Bushnell is active as well. (That's been a bumpy road.)

Had some spooks from Nikon and Leupold come and go over the years.  
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 11:41

I forgot about steve, haven't seen him on in a while,  What ever happened to TPS guy, you two seemed to have a good time with each other if i recall correctly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic