OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zen Ray Spotters - Decent?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zen Ray Spotters - Decent?
    Posted: March/12/2010 at 09:35
Zen-Ray 20-60x80 Sedona Spotting Scope Zen-Ray 20-60x80 Sedona Spotting Scope
Stock # - ZEN2060X80A
  • Rubber Armor
  • Angled
$179.95 
Add Zen-Ray 20-60x80 Sedona Spotting Scope to Cart 
Zen-Ray 20-60x80 Sedona Spotting Scope Zen-Ray 20-60x80 Sedona Spotting Scope
Stock # - ZEN2060X80S
  • Rubber Armor
  • Straight
$179.95 
Add Zen-Ray 20-60x80 Sedona Spotting Scope to Cart 
I have still yet to decide on a decent spotter.  I know that ZenRay has some favorable binos and I have a set on the way to test drive and I am sure I will be impressed.  Has anyone used their Spotters.  I know that you get what you pay for but i will never use a spotter for game or anything else besides actual range use.  I do use ShootNC targets when i am 300yds or beyond and think that a decent vs highend spotter may suffice for what I am doing.  All I really wanna be able to do is confirm hits. Maybe maybe if or when i get into competitions i will look at higher end. Again i know nothing about spotters and this thing will mainly be used in high humitity and average to high temps.  I hear atmospheric conditions will play a role.  Any helpful info is greatly appreciated. Now when I shoot at targets 500 or beyond they are reactive so I know by looking or listening and I dont' need to see as clearly.  I have gongs/steel plates or milk jugs/ 2liter botles of water that report by noise or visual 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
HB51 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HB51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 15:38
I am curious about the Zen Ray spotters as well.
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 15:20
I ordered an angled Zen-Ray Sedona spotter from SWFA, but was unable to check it out because the hole in the mounting base that secures it to a tripod was incorrectly cut and it wouldn't mount. I returned it for refund and bought a Vortex Skyline 80 (non-ED) locally, but it had such heavy chromatic aberration I registered my concerns with Vortex Optics, who was kind enough to send me the ED version of the Skyline 80 to check out and see if I wanted to go in that direction.

Unfortunately, the Skyline 80 ED Vortex sent me was from their "demo B" inventory (if that was demo B, I would hate to see demo C) and was in such shape that I didn't even take it to the range. But I did compare it out my bedroom window to the non-ED Skyline while I still had both, and the CA was somewhat less but still evident in the ED version.

So I went from a <200$ spotter tainted with poor quality control (the Zen-Ray) to a $450 spotter that was not satisfactory for my needs  (to see .223 holes in a Shoot-N-C target at 200 yards) to a $750 ED-class spotter that looked to me like it hadn't held up very well. I am at present spotterless, but hopefully a little wiser. You really do get what you pay for. I wasn't completely sold on that concept, but I am now.

One other thing: my experience was that any 80mm spotting scope will require a very sturdy tripod, so there's a few more pounds to carry around.
whitneymuse View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitneymuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2010 at 16:03
Me too, I need a new spotting scope and will consider the Zen-ray because if their bins are as great as this thread has been raving, they should make great performance-value scopes, too; so my mind tells me.  I know I've never been happy with my Nikon and I wasn't going to fork out for the Swarovsky that impressed.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic