OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

10x or 12x binos under $200

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10x or 12x binos under $200
    Posted: March/20/2010 at 11:10
Hey guys.. looking for a good set of binos  10 or 12x  under $200.
#1 good glass, clarity, low light
#2 low eye fatigue
#3wide field of view

will be used for extended game watching.
any recommendations?
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 12:33

http://swfa.com/Pentax-10x50-PCF-WP-II-Binocular-P4377.aspx

In this price range I think your better off with a porro prism bino.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 09:00

Someone recommended me Brunton Echo. I have never even heard of them. I have heard of Vortex to, dunno much about them, but what little I have heard is good stuff.

I think I want to stick with the 10x though, and  I might go as high as 250 or 300 but they quality would have be a good jump. Otherwise I would like to stay around the 200 buck range.

Any recommendations of Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell or major manufacturers?

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-10x42-Legend-Binocular-P745.aspx
These are a little high for me, but any comments?

I will be grateful for any input or reccomendations.

Someone with good customer service, american made would be nice to.
I know it sounds like I looking for a ferrari for the price of a geo, but just trying to get the most for my money.

Also forgive me for my ignorance  but what is the difference in the type of prisms? porro, roof, whatever else there is
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 09:49
There are no made in the USA optics anymore.  Leupold designs, manufactures some components, and does some assembly in the USA.  Nothing in your price range will come close to USA made.  At that price there is a 80% or so chance it is Chinese. 

The Leupold Green Ring offers pretty good binoculars in your price range.  Look at the Acadia or the Cascade.

The ZRS HD from Zen Ray is a good glass too.  Zen Ray's Vista for $130 is really good for its price.

The Bushnell Legend Ultra HD is in that price range as well. 

The Vortex Diamondback is good in this range too.

Roof prism binoculars are the ones with the straight through barrels.  Porro prisms are the offset kind where the objectives set wider than the eye piece.  Or in the case of inverted porro, the objective sets narroewr than the eye piece.  Roof prisms are generally considered to be more durable and are easier to waterproof.  They need phase correction coating on the prisms.  Porros have no need for phase correction.

Typically the porro is the most optic for the money.  Outstanding porro prism glass can be had in the Leupold Yosemite for less than $100 in 6x and 8x30.

Edited by Klamath - March/22/2010 at 09:56
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 15:11

spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 15:58
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 16:56
I have been singularly unimpressed with the Brunton Echo.  Just because the specs are the same, does not mean anything else is the same. 

The ZRS HD is the best sub $300 binocular I have ever put to my eyes.  They will give $500 glas a run for the money.  Next would be the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD. 
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2010 at 20:03
I seen another article of about the zen ray on here. Never heard of them,  but im still fairly new to the optics world. Yea, I was kinda weary about the Brunton, but I had several recommendations. Would anyone else rate the Zen Ray HD 10x42 over the Vortex 10x50?
I still kinda edgy about the Zen ray. Not heard enough about them. Ill  look into them some more.

Whatever I get im not going to be lug n them around in the field. They will be used  to watch wildlife off my back porch.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 08:29
Well, I looked of the forums, and did a little research elsewhere on the Zen Ray ZRS HD 10x42. Took a leap and and ordered them (2010 model).  I will let ya'll know what I think of them once they arrive.

Edited by stork23raz - March/23/2010 at 12:21

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic