OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

standard duplex or heavy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 527varmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: standard duplex or heavy?
    Posted: March/20/2010 at 21:12
This sort of goes with the other topic I got going on 1-5 power scopes.

The scope is for coyote calling only. Mostly call in heavy timber and brush. However there will be a decent amount of calling in the desert and open meadows.

I 100% see how it would be a big advantage in the timber where shots are short and fast.

I'm worried its going to be a big compromise and cover up too much of the kill zone out at 300+ yards. Granted there won't be many of those shots but the .243 is the largest caliber I have and I want to be able to stretch it out and have a little fun.

what one would you folks prefer?

The only good coyote is a dead one.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 22:33
I had the heavy duplex on  Leupold 6X42. I thought it was a bit "clumsy" looking - didn't care for it.
527varmint View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 527varmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 22:35
I just did a bunch of researching on the duplex and think I answered it myself.

Its going to cover up too much for long shots.

I'm totaly decided its going to be the sightron big sky 1.25-5x20. I can probably be out the door with a set of warne rings for 400 and thats perfect.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 10:30
I have a 1.5-5x20 Leupold with the standard plex reticle. In low light and heavy cover it is not very good. I think the heavy reticle would be better. It is no heavier than some of the FFP reticles I have when they are cranked up. They are no problem for coyotes at reasonable ranges. You also have the option of getting the Leupold with the 4A and that is always a good choice for low light and heavy cover.
If you want the regular plex in a Leupold I would get the 1.75-6x33. It should be bright enough during coyote hours to get by with he standard plex. My brother-in-law has one on a 30.06 Sako and it is a very nice scope.

Doug
Lawnfella View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawnfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 13:13
I'm not a big fan of the heavy duplex. If I was hunting large animals at close range I would consider a heavy duplex. My shot range varies from 20 to 500 yards. You do get a low light advantage with the heavy duplex which is a plus in some situations. For varmints I would definitely go with a standard or fine duplex.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 527varmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 13:31
yeah for coyote and jack rabbit along with a possible fox, bobcat, or cougar I think the heavy plex would cover too much up. Now for big game like elk and deer then the killzone is way bigger so it would probably be good.                                                                        
I should also admit that I often sit in the truck and run the heater till the sun comes up! At night I'm headed to the truck while there is still some light left. So it would be rare that I'm hunting in such a dark situation. Of course even in full sun its not exactly bright in a temperate rain forest but I think i'll get by.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 13:52
afraid of the dark?  You are missing some of the absolute BEST hunting!  Get a decent light and get out there earlier and stay longer my friend!!!
take em!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 527varmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 14:04
I know that is true and yeah sometimes I go back to the truck in the dark especialy when rabbit hunting but I try not to unless the truck is very close. My beagle got attacked by a cougar last time I was out running rabbits after dark and then the cougar stalked me too! Basicaly the reason is I'm alone. If I had a buddy to watch my back with me I wouldn't be afraid at all.

In the morning I'm just too lazy sometimes lol I usualy get out there no matter how cold with the beagle but by the time I start coyote hunting in the spring I'm sick of freezing my butt off.

I can't believe how much luck I have calling in dogs in the middle of the day. The key is it has to be a very cold day or the dogs won't travel far after about 9 or 10.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 14:17
http://swfa.com/Vortex-1-4x24-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44569.aspx If you have not decided yet you might look at this one.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/21/2010 at 14:18

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 22:40
I prefer the standard but I think it's all a personal preference. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 527varmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 23:37
im thinking i'll try the standard duplex. Maybe at a later time I'll try the german #4 on a scope and I can sell off the one I dont' like or just switch the one I don't like as much onto another gun. For example the #4 would be perfect on my 22mag since its just for predators to 100 yards in the thick stuff. The german number 4 seems to basicaly be halfway between the heavy and the standard duplex
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic