OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Seekins Rail and Rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USN_Sam1385 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seekins Rail and Rings
    Posted: March/23/2010 at 20:20
Looking at the Seekins:Precision Base and Rings to throw on my Remington 700 Police .308.

Couple of questions:

Has anyone directly compared these to Badger Ordnance? I know that they are aluminum, rather than steel, but I hear great things about them.

Also, what is the major difference between a 20 moa, and 30 moa base? Most tactical shooters go with the 20 moa base correct??

Anyone thrown these rings and base on a Remington 700. Have pics??
USN_Sam1385 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USN_Sam1385 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 20:27
Btw. I know that 10 moa is the major difference. lol ;-p I guess what I am asking, is the difference in yards approximately. Out to 600-1000 yards, 20 moa. should be more than adequate I am sure.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 05:15
From what I've read from very reliable sources, Seekins kit is of the highest quality, but I've had really good fortune using TPS or Badger and these can be bought from this fine sites sponser.
Bang for buck?? TPS.

I would recommend a 20 MOA rail, but it really depends on what ranges YOU intend on shooting and with what scope you plan on using and it's particular W/E adjustments.

Here's mine with a Badger 20 MOA rail and TPS 1" low rings.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 07:59
I have to agree with CT on the TPS, I just put a TPS base on my 700 and was highly impressed. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USN_Sam1385 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 09:43
There are so many different models of the TPS rings when I click on it. Which exact type are you recommending for a Remington 700? Thanks
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 11:05
I have the Seekins rings and bases on two rifles and they are excellent. I have directly compared a Seekins base to one made by Badger, going so far as to measure them with dial calipers. Both maintained tolerances down to .001". FWIW, Badger also makes some aluminum products from the same alloy Seekins uses. I liked that the Seekins are lighter and his ring design is more streamlined than anything I've had other than a NF DirectMount.

Reaction time is a factor...
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USN_Sam1385 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 12:35
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

I have the Seekins rings and bases on two rifles and they are excellent. I have directly compared a Seekins base to one made by Badger, going so far as to measure them with dial calipers. Both maintained tolerances down to .001". FWIW, Badger also makes some aluminum products from the same alloy Seekins uses. I liked that the Seekins are lighter and his ring design is more streamlined than anything I've had other than a NF DirectMount.

Great answer & picture. I have decided to go with the Seekins base and rings. Not only based upon their great reputation, but for aesthetic purposes as well. There just are not any rings of this this caliber that look as streamlined and smooth.

Thanks again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 09:50
Originally posted by USN_Sam1385 USN_Sam1385 wrote:

There just are not any rings of this this caliber that look as streamlined and smooth.

Thanks again.

That is why I ended up with seekins as well.  I have had Badger, TPS, IOR, Seekins, Nightforce.  To me they all seemed like great quality and did everything I needed.  But I like not having a nut on the side of my ring.

Just an FYI.  Do not tighten the rings to the base completely until you have your scope in the rings and your rings caps tightened.  If you do it smashes down the rings a little and your scope will not fit into the rings. 

I thought something was wrong with my rings initially because I tightened them first.  I talked to Glen Seekins about it and he told me to do it that way and they would be fine.   
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 10:09
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Just an FYI.  Do not tighten the rings to the base completely until you have your scope in the rings and your rings caps tightened.  If you do it smashes down the rings a little and your scope will not fit into the rings. 

I thought something was wrong with my rings initially because I tightened them first.  I talked to Glen Seekins about it and he told me to do it that way and they would be fine.   

I didn't experience that with either of my sets, but I was very careful not to overtighten the screws (not saying you weren't). One thing I'd be worried about if you didn't have the bottom halves securely fastened and butted up against the recoil grooves is inducing any twisting or flexing stress into the scope when you did tighten them. One way to avoid that is to take them up to the 55 in-lbs. Seekins recommends, then back them off a 1/4 turn or so. That would probably "relax" the bottom halves enough to make it easy to fit the scope in.
Reaction time is a factor...
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 18:35
Originally posted by USN_Sam1385 USN_Sam1385 wrote:

There are so many different models of the TPS rings when I click on it. Which exact type are you recommending for a Remington 700? Thanks

I like the TSR rings. I like the fact that they leave virtually zero ring marks on the scope tube.

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2010 at 13:00
Wouldn't hurt to look at the Vortex Precision rings.  Have the dual screws to hold rings to rail.  Check them out.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-Precision-Matched-30mm-Rings-C2983.aspx
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic