OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage 10 FCP HS Precision

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage 10 FCP HS Precision
    Posted: March/23/2010 at 21:53
I just picked up this rifle and SWFA SS 16x42 scope this week.  I have not made it to the range, that will be in the morning.  I have a full day ahead of me, which is why I am starting this post.  Better get a jump on it or the wife will get mad that I am not unpacking stuff as our household goods is going to be here in the morning around 1100-1200.

Two pics that I have.  More will follow from the range.  Enjoy, because I am going to love this rifle.

Bang...
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 05:18
Good shooting! Pretty lady, indeed!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 06:32
very nice, waiting on the range report
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 08:42
Nice looking rifle. Let us have some target pics.
armyhooah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 09:23
Pictures of the Man Cave... Video of the range...The video has already been posted just not in the range report section.  Will repost with some 100 yard targets.  The Savage likes 168gr's better than 155gr.

Bang...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 09:34
Since you barrel has a 10" twist it makes sense it would like the 168s better.  You should try the 175 and 190s.  It will probably like them even better. 

I have really been considering buying that same rifle and immediately pulling the barrel off and buying a Lothar Walther .260 barrel for it. 

I am very interested to hear more on how you like it.  Thunbs Up

Edited by supertool73 - March/29/2010 at 10:12
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
armyhooah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 18:00
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Since you barrel has a 10" twist it makes sense it would like the 168s better.  You should try the 175 and 190s.  It will probably like them even better. 

I have really been considering buying that same rifle and immediately pulling the barrel off and buying a Lothar Walther .260 barrel for it. 

I am very interested to hear more on how you like it.  Thunbs Up

If you do, let me know and I might want your barrel....I have really enjoyed this rifle so far.  With some more work on my loads and my shooting skills this is going to be a hell of a shooter....HOOAH!
Bang...
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 07:14
Although my experience with H-S Precision stocks has been on Remingtons, I'll bet you will really find this stock is a great combination with the accuracy of the Savage design. I've found that moving to a barrel with a 11.25 twist or less has really helped stabilize longer projectiles as well as heavier ones. There's no reason a 10" twist barrel won't do well with lighter projectiles but it certainly has the potential to go heavier or handle VLDs. etc. well.
Reaction time is a factor...
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 17:20
 Supertool most guys over on savage shooters rave about the Shilen or McGowen barrels from Northland shooting supply. I am looking for a donor rifle now to rebuild into a 260 Rem., and when that gets done I'll start looking for another for a 250 savage build.Just finished up a 223 model 12.

Army I have the model 10fp with the 20" barrel shoots 150gr hpbt Sierras to around a consistent .4 as long as I do my part.

froggy
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 20:07
we have been using broughton barells and krieger the stock savages shoot very good my bctss model 12 204 shoots same holes at 200 yds 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic