OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Buckmaster Vs Viper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buckmaster Vs Viper
    Posted: March/24/2010 at 08:19
How do these 2 compare? glass quality and forgiveing eye relief are both important to me. there for a 22-250. 

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 13:00
From what I've read and herd from my fellow friends here, is that the viper is going to trump the buckmaster in all aspects,  Accept price.

Edited by lucytuma - March/24/2010 at 13:01
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 21:57
I have a 6-18X SF Buckmaster on a .22-250. Good scope. Least favorite things about it are the "tunnel vision" and the rather heavy weight. Do like the 1/8" adjustments, sunshade and target turrets that come with it, and the quality "feel"of it. However, if I could live without side focus, I'd seriously look at a Weaver Grand Slam (AO) - which is another very good option in that general price range.
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 22:09
One thing I missed regarding your question: eye relief. It's not the greatest on that Buckmaster, although I've seen worse. The Monarch, for not a whole lot more $, offers more eye relief and better glass. Personally, if I could do it over, I'd pop for a Monarch over a BM.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 06:43
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

From what I've read and herd from my fellow friends here, is that the viper is going to trump the buckmaster in all aspects,  Accept price.

+1 I love my vipor
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Risasi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 07:36
Yeah, that doesn't seem fair to be comparing the two. More likely a reasonable comparison would be Buckmaster vs. Diamondback, as far as quality, glass, and overall build. 

(BTW, you didn't specify what magnification level you're looking at. That can also make a difference.)
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 09:42
Originally posted by Risasi Risasi wrote:

(BTW, you didn't specify what magnification level you're looking at. That can also make a difference.)
I haven't decided yet. Not sure wether to go 4.5-14 or 6-18
Risasi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 11:26
Sounds like you're thinking of vermin hunting...or paper punching? 

What is the size/type target and anticipated distance?
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 11:59
Lots of paper punching, a couple P-dog trips a year, Coyotes in the winter. I got this gun basically to "learn" about longer distance shooting, reloading, gunsmithing, and all the other aspects of the high powered rifle world. Up untill now all my hunting was done with a muzzleloader or shotgun.
Xlr8n View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xlr8n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 12:30
The Nikon Monarch is advertised with 95% light transmission. The Buckmaster is 92% light transmission. (Pre 2005 Buckmasters, which is now the Prostaff, were only 90%)
The Monarch has about 1/3" greater eye relief than the Buckmaster in the sizes you are looking at.
The Viper is advertised with 95% light transmission. Vortex doesn't advertise the light transmission of the Diamondback.

Vortex has similar eyerelief and FOV stats to Nikon throughout their lineups.
Risasi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2010 at 13:31
Originally posted by 03mossy 03mossy wrote:

Lots of paper punching, a couple P-dog trips a year, Coyotes in the winter. I got this gun basically to "learn" about longer distance shooting, reloading, gunsmithing, and all the other aspects of the high powered rifle world. Up untill now all my hunting was done with a muzzleloader or shotgun.

Okay, fair enough. Well, it seems like it comes down to personal preference for you on which magnification level you go with. I don't know the area where you hunt coyote, but if you're calling them in I'd be a little concerned about having 6x on the low end. Personally I'd take the 4.5x at the low of the two choices you listed. 
I actually prefer 2.5x (or less!) on the low end and aim with both eyes open for fast acquisition on close targets. Likewise, I am not a prairie dog hunter, but I've heard many guys have to crank down below about 14x once it warms up and the heat hits the ground. I want to try it, but I stuck with a 2-7x Viper. My thought is if I get around to it I'll try to hold my shots to 250 yards or less. 
So I decided I'd rather take a hit on mag level and get better glass. But to each his own. It comes down to how good your eye sight is too.

Seems like you just need to start looking through glass and make sure whatever you get is what you want and will work for you.

P.S. I corresponded with Paul at Vortex some months ago. He said that the Viper has about 3% better light transmission over the Diamondback line. FWIW...

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2010 at 06:45
Buckmasters are nice scopes for the money.
Vipers are great scopes for more money.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 12:05
I have a 6x18 SF mounted on a 17REM to shoot PD's and I like the scope for that purpose. I am looking at one of these http://swfa.com/Redfield-4-12x40-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-P44472.aspx as an additional pd scope.....I have never looked thru a viper always wanted to......
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 20:36
Originally posted by medic52 medic52 wrote:

I have a 6x18 SF mounted on a 17REM to shoot PD's and I like the scope for that purpose. I am looking at one of these http://swfa.com/Redfield-4-12x40-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-P44472.aspx as an additional pd scope.....I have never looked thru a viper always wanted to......
My brother just put that exact scope with the accu range reticle on his Savage 12FLV .223. He loves is. the reticle is real fine so it should work for those little PD's. Thats what he is going to use it for as well
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 01:52
OK  don't if this ever been asked but how does the viper & buckmaster stack up against the SS?
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic