OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fly By's video

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 19:22
Thanks Ted, I'm sure it's pretty cool as well.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 20:04
I have been to about 20 Blue Angel shows.  Got the privilege of sitting 60 ft from the end of the runway for one of their practices.  I have also been to about 12 Tbird shows.  And have seen the F-14 and F-15 demonstration teams.  My opinion is that the Tbird tend to be a little more daring in their stunts.  The Blue Angels are better at the precision formation flying.  It was really cool watching Fat Albert do a low pass 20 ft off the deck at 350 mph.  Another cool low pass was at the Blue Angels beach show in Pensacola.  Amazing watching them create their own wake and then pull of for the piers.

I like the Tbirds after show taxi and presentation better.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 20:11
The two best shows if seen, one was on radar ( actual combat flights of the IDF ) an one during a fleet exercise off Hawaii. When the Hornet flew over my head at about 100 feet of the deck, I thought that's odd I didn't hear him sneek up on me!      That's right about the time the BOOM hit!   The other I'll tell in a PM. But will not post in general area. They still may use the same techniques.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 20:51
A few years back at an air show in MIddle River Maryland ( 1997) ,. I witnessed the F-117 crash. My video was confiscated and never returned .. Luckily no one was killed.
I saw the the same jet perform the weekend before at a CAF show in Frederick,MD with no  mishaps .I really miss the CAF show ...I've always enjoyed WW II aviation.

Edited by martin3175 - March/31/2010 at 08:05
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 20:56

I'm fortunate enough to be able to see them as they do their air show over the SF Bay or at the United run way before and after the "air show". It's all good!!!

Edited by mike650 - March/29/2010 at 21:52
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 21:11
I'll be waiting for the PM Steel.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 23:08
A few pics I snapped of the Blues when I saw them last October at Ft. Worth Alliance A/P:

Edited by RifleDude - March/29/2010 at 23:10
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 06:26

Unbelievable!!!!   Big Grin

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 06:42
nice pictures man
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 09:10
AWESOME!!!!   Bucky
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 09:20
Nice pics Ted!!!

I gotta get me a digital SLR someday. I have a digital "point and shoot" but for pics like that I'm still using a film SLR camera. They come out real nice but I have to scan each pic every time I want to post. Who has time for that... right Ed.  Wink 
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 09:26
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 09:29
Excellent
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 09:42
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Nice pics Ted!!!

I gotta get me a digital SLR someday. I have a digital "point and shoot" but for pics like that I'm still using a film SLR camera. They come out real nice but I have to scan each pic every time I want to post. Who has time for that... right Ed.  Wink 

I don't have an SLR either.  Those pics came from my Panasonic DMC-ZS3 point and shoot camera.  It takes pretty good pics for a p&s.  I couldn't capture some of the faster flyby's because it's much harder to get the jets in the viewfinder of a p&s, and I don't have the super fast burst mode of an SLR.  Basically, I had to point the camera where I anticipated the flight path of the jets would be and snap the shot soon after they appeared in the viewfinder.  I wasn't "quick enough on the draw" to get many shots I attempted.

Here is the camera I used...

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 10:07
"two of your snot nosed jockeys did a fly by on my tower at over 400 knots" dammit now thats twice, i want some butts!!"
"well that just about covers the fly byes"
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 10:10
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Nice pics Ted!!!

I don't have an SLR either.  Those pics came from my Panasonic DMC-ZS3 point and shoot camera.  It takes pretty good pics for a p&s.  I couldn't capture some of the faster flyby's because it's much harder to get the jets in the viewfinder of a p&s, and I don't have the super fast burst mode of an SLR.  Basically, I had to point the camera where I anticipated the flight path of the jets would be and snap the shot soon after they appeared in the viewfinder.  I wasn't "quick enough on the draw" to get many shots I attempted.

per koshkins advice i bought my wife a tz-5 and its a very nice camera as well. panasonic makes a very nice p&s line up i think.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 10:41

Nice pics Ted!!!

Sounds like a nice camera. My Canon (p&s) is not fast enough to be able to take consistent high speed shot's I'm accustomed to taking (story for another day) so I pack my film SLR. The "point and shoot" is just a backup in those circumstances. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 10:46

A couple models in the Leica camera lineup are identical cameras to certain Panasonic models, except the Panasonic cameras are considerably less expensive.  In fact, Panasonic p&s cameras use the excellent Leica zoom lenses.  I was very surprised by the image quality and feature set on mine.  The only thing I wish it had is a manual mode where I could control aperture and shutter priority.  Other than that, I can't imagine a better, more user friendly p&s camera.  However, the intelligent auto mode is remarkably good at anticipating the shooting mode and intent of the photo composition based on what it perceives in the view!  I just can't get certain effects that I could get by manipulating the depth of field and shutter speed.

Ted

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 10:58

A couple models in the Leica camera lineup are identical cameras to certain Panasonic models, except the Panasonic cameras are considerably less expensive.  In fact, Panasonic p&s cameras use the excellent Leica zoom lenses.  I was very surprised by the image quality and feature set on mine.  The only thing I wish it had is a manual mode where I could control aperture and shutter priority.  Other than that, I can't imagine a better, more user friendly p&s camera.  However, the intelligent auto mode is remarkably good at anticipating the shooting mode and intent of the photo composition based on what it perceives in the view!  I just can't get certain effects that I could get by manipulating the depth of field and shutter speed.

Being able to control the aperture and shutter speed is one of the many beauties of a good SLR.  It enables you to go to the "next level" in photography. Thunbs Up

(spelling edit)

Edited by mike650 - March/30/2010 at 12:21
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 13:16
Yeah, my plan is to eventually get a good DSLR and lenses, but there are so many toys I want and projects I'm working on right now that it will have to wait.  My hobbies are getting damned expensive!
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic