OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.308 Semi Auto Hunting/Battle Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njmoericke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .308 Semi Auto Hunting/Battle Rifle
    Posted: March/30/2010 at 17:36
I am looking for a .308 Semi Automatic rifle that can be used for hunting as well as personal protection. I prefer something that is more of a standard "sporting" style but could be upgraded to "assault" style with the proper modifications.
I have narrowed my choices to 3: The FNAR/Winchester SX-AR, the DPMS Panther Long Range and the M1A. I have done a lot of research on each and would appreciate any input on what you would choose and why. I prefer to keep the initial cost in the $1500 range and uprade as necessary. I also would like the ability to use up to a 20 round magazine.

Any thoughts?   Sharp Shooter
njmoericke
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 18:33
I have used a M1A for hunting (open sights) with great success. I use a 5 round magazine, which is flush with the bottom of the stock, andf makes the rifle lighter and easier to handle in the field. The problem with the standard M1A is, it is difficult to scope because the cheek weld places your head to low to sight through a scope with a proper and consistant cheek weld.
JM .02
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
diggler1833 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2010 at 19:57
Hard to go wrong with one of the DPMS offerings.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 08:35
I went through the same soul searching ..and kept coming back to the M1A "loaded" edition ..
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 08:38
I am working now on getting a CMP M1A to lean with and if I like it,   go all out.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 08:52
Another vote for the M1A. I haven't scoped mine yet (scout model), I really like using the open sites.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 08:55
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I am working now on getting a CMP M1A  M1 to learn with and if I like it, go all out.

There. All fixed. (The CMP-available M1 Garand is the ancestor to the M1A/ M14 series, but not exactly the same thing. Different clip/ magazine systems as well as chamberings. Most Garands are .30-06, most M14s are 7.62x51mm NATO/ .308 Winchester.)
 The handguards are different also.
 All are great rifles, though.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 08:58

tanks.....I dont' know anything about the two....

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 09:02
no worries!!!   Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 09:08

You're welcome! You're gonna love your Garand!

One important thing I forgot to mention is that the M14 is a select-fire version. (Pretty uncontrollable in full auto, from what I've heard from some Korean War Veterans.)
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 09:10

Good to know the difference.  thanks.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 09:19
M1A (M14)

M1 Garand

M1 Carbine

Edited by mike650 - March/31/2010 at 11:07
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 09:22

i definately don't want the carbine.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 09:25
m1A Thunbs Up
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 09:27
Anyone know how accurate the garand is. and how accurate you can make it with some "upgrades" if any (ie barrel, trigger job)
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 09:32
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

i definately don't want the carbine.

Not for the application mentioned but I added a pic anyways because there's sometimes confusion when mentioning a M1.
(M1 Garand or M1 Carbine).

My first few deer were taken on a M1 carbine back in my early teens. It's a sweet little rifle.  Thunbs Up

Edited by mike650 - March/31/2010 at 11:07
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 09:32

oh yeah i know i was just saying in general it doesn't appeal to me.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 09:33
no offense to the .30carbine, but imo its not a good deer round past about 50 yards.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 09:35
Armalite AR10, you can probably find one for about $1500 now, great gun, easier to mount optics to, easier to maintain, great gun.

I've owned M1s, very good guns; for this application, I'd get an AR10.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 09:38
Had several of each and shot both a lot-when military was 100 bucks/1000 rds. both the m1 and m1a are dependant on the bedded action for accuracy, as the trigger group on both , swings down it unlocks the action and allows its removal. both can be made accurate, and both are good for hunting but both are on the heavy side for this. Both suffer from a good optical mount point of view. Since the m1 with only 8 round clip (one of the few guns that uses a true clip and not a magazine) has been thrown in-- get a remington semi, better optical mounting, more accurate and better trigger pull.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic