OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Handgun Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

S&W 629 scope and mount

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S&W 629 scope and mount
    Posted: September/21/2005 at 10:42

I am looking for a scope for whitetail hunting. My only experience with pistol scopes has been a 2x and a 2-? variable Leupold. I liked the 2x, but the field of view on the variable was to narrow for my liking.

I have been looking at the specs on the Burris 2-7x32 w/ the ballistic plex recticle and it has as wide of field of view as the 2x leupold.

Would the Burris be a good scope? Is the posi-lock worth the extra $25 or should I just spend it on more practice ammo?

Also, I am looking for a mount. I could get one of the many mounts that requires me to remove my rear sight. I would like to use quick release mounts and be able to utilize my iron sights. Are there any options besides the Warne Multi-Sight system?

Thanks,

JJROBO

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2005 at 12:10
I've used a Burris 2-7 for a couple of years on my .454 Casull and on .45 Colt.  No problems at all.  Mine is not Posi-lock, so I'd recommend saving that money.  I switched from a Burris 2X because the 2-7 gathers a lot more light.  It's not very usable over 5x because the exit pupil gets very small and eye relief gets too short for holding.  I can't help you with mounts for your gun.  I shoot freedom arms.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2006 at 11:31

Burris 1x35 Xtreme Tactical Speeddot Sight

Burris 1x35 Xtreme Tactical Speeddot Sight

• Matte
  • 3 MOA Dot
SWFA: $200.95
200424 Burris 1x Short Mag Rifle Scope Burris 1x Short Mag Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $185.95
LEU58770 Leupold 2.5-8x32 VX-III Handgun Scope Leupold 2.5-8x32 VX-III Handgun Scope
  • Gloss
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $469.95
6567 Nikon 2.5-8x28 Monarch UCC Handgun Scope Nikon 2.5-8x28 Monarch UCC Handgun Scope
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
  • EER
SWFA: $289.95
While the balistic plex reticle is appealing it is more useful with rifles than with pistols (I just cant hold steady enough to make those 600 yd shots with a pistol). I had a 3-12 with balistic plex and was  quite unhappy that it was useless over about 6X.  I have looked the the Leupold and it doesn't seem to suffer the same problem as badly. I have a 1x Burris on a 45-70 Encore pistol and it is great. I think the idea of an aimpoint or red dot would be a good choice also but you want something tough. the big advantage of the 1X is that eye relief is not a factor. Mine does very well at 100 yds.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 10:59
I have a 2X Burris on a 35 Rem T/C and it came with posi-lock on a special deal. Ironically, when I had it on a 44 Mag barrel, it was the posi-lock feature that broke.  Burris fixed it and it has been fine ever since. I would probably not spend any extra $ on the posi lock as I do not like messing with it each time i want to change the setting. ( I play with a number of T/C barrels and move scopes around a bit.)  In addition, the majority of the opinions I have read on this forum since I joined  is to the effect that the Burris scopes hold zero well without that feature.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic