OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope ?
    Posted: April/16/2010 at 18:03
do you guys feel that you need to have rimfire specific scope for a rimfire?? or is a normal rifle scope fine???
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 19:15

I think any will work IMO

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 20:04
if i order that cz trainer, im trying to decide what kind of scope to buy when i get around to buying a scope. if i get a rimfire specific scope i wont have a ton of choices. if i go with a standard scope i will have a lot of choices, but i wonder if the elevation and windage adjustments on a rimfire specific scope are different from that of a standard scope. ive never messed with any airgun/rimfire scopes so i dont know if they adjust differently or not. i assume that the objectives are smaller on the rimfire scopes is the only real difference. any advice here would be greatly appreciated. 
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 20:09
If you go with a 4x, 6x or something up to a 2-7 or so variable, you will be fine. If you want to pop crows in the head at fifty yards and nail mice under the bird feeders at fifteen feet, you need an AO. That is my experience.

Doug
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 20:11
are the adjustments any different though?? i assume not, but ive been known to be wrong before.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 20:12
Most are 1/4" that I have.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 20:15
ok thats what i was wondering, i was looking at the loopie rimfires but for that kind of money i could buy a zeiss conquest.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x33-VX-II-Rimfire-EFR-Riflescope-P3277.aspx

Edited by pyro6999 - April/16/2010 at 20:15
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 20:44
The Leupold focuses down to 10yds and the Zeiss I believe goes down to 30yds. Depends on how close you need to focus. I have the Leupold 3-9 EFR and am happy with it with the exception of the adjustments, they are the coin slot type. I was thinking about sending it in to Leupold and have them change the knobs to either the target or possibly their tactical knobs. And the tactical knobs only because I would not have to mess with caps when adjusting E/W.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 10:14
other than that how is the scope optically??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 10:52
If you buy a quality rimfire scope (Weaver or Leupold) the only difference between rimfire scopes and centerfire scopes is the parallax-free point. Rimfire scopes are set to be parallax free at 50-60 yards (depending on brand) while centerfire scopes are set for 100-120yds. Since parallax is a problem that rears it's ugly head at shorter ranges it can be a big deal. As for quality Weaver for one uses the exact same quality components and coating in their Classic rimfire as their Classic V & K series centerfire scopes. My advice is stick with a fixed focus rimfire scope or a centerfire scope with AO.

Also you'll find that CZs have a pretty extreme bolt-throw so clearance between the scope and bolt becomes an issue. That means using CZ's fairly high "medium" rings to get the scope up out of the way and choosing a scope with a reasonably small ocular bell.  
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 10:55
thanks for the info steve, i will certainly remember that.im going to seriously entertain the idea of buying that loopie scope, all the reviews ive read about it have been very good. i just wish it was $100 cheaper.

Edited by pyro6999 - April/17/2010 at 11:28
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 12:07
Leupold will change the parallax for you on any of their scopes....before you buy it!!!  Check with Chris........they have to order it that way....Bucky   

......but then you'd have a scope with a 60 yard parallax.......Smile    
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 12:23
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

other than that how is the scope optically??

I like the glass on the Zeiss better than my Leupold. But I needed a scope that focused down to closer distances, so that is why I went with the Leupold over the Zeiss. But since I am shooting at shorter distances I have no problems with the glass of my Leupold.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 12:45
I have an older Leo 3.5-10x50 EFR. It has been an excellent scope and the optics are far better than expected.
The biggest difference between it and my brothers 3-9x50 Conquest was the Zeiss' heavier reticle. On a dark night over a snow covered field, both scopes are capable of taking the shot.
I have not lost a critter yet to the .22 WMR I have the scope on. I put the cross hairs on, squeeze and then go get the varmint.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 14:20
I like a thin or fine cross hair reticle on a rimfire.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 22:16
eventhough this scope goes against most everything i stand for, its a pretty solid choice i think. im going to kick the idea around for the next several months and then go from there.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 22:57
I have a Weaver rimfire 2-7 on my Savage bolt  22 but have had a Bushnell 4200 4-16x40 wiht adjustable parallax on it.  If you have adjustable parallax it does make a difference.  Obviously a 22 has a fairly crappy trajectory so target knobs would be a plus if you are shooting very far.  Unfortunately most 22 ammo that is cheap is not very good for longer distances,  so longer distances and better quality scopes usually are better suited to more powerful cartridges, but there is always someone trying to nurse 200+ yds out of a 22 which can be done with expensive ammo.  The 17 hmr seems to have a high quality bullet design worth a better scope but who wants to pay 12 to 15 a box of 50 to shoot cans, so its a case of how much is it reasonable to spend vs what results do you really need. My guess is that most guys on here could get about as much out of a 22 with open sights as the bullet has to offer.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/17/2010 at 22:58

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2010 at 23:11
Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope Dual-X Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849431
Matte, Dual-X
$139.95
Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 424164SF
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Side Focus
  • Free Fleece Pullover (Mail-In Coupon)
$419.95
Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire Rifle Scope Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire Rifle Scope
Stock # - CRFAO11MDT
  • Out of Stock / Accepting Back Orders - April/May Delivery
  • 70% off - Limited Supply
  • SWFA Exclusive
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Sunshade
$99.95
Add to Wishlist
I have a hard time justifying more than a couple hundred on a 22 scope.   A used Super Sniper off samplelist might be a fun choice too.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 07:32
I think the Leupold 3X9 EFR is a gorgeous looking scope.  It's smallish, lightweight, and has a beautiful look.  I would get the gloss finish !!   Bucky    

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2010 at 13:02
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

I think the Leupold 3X9 EFR is a gorgeous looking scope.  It's smallish, lightweight, and has a beautiful look.  I would get the gloss finish !!   Bucky    

i really like that scope too ed, and if i needed it for some reason i wouldnt be affraid of putting it on a centerfire either.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic