OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest with Z-600 reticle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Txaggie9307 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Conquest with Z-600 reticle
    Posted: April/20/2010 at 15:50
Hey guys,

Do any of you have a conquest with a z600 reticle? If so, what are your thoughts on the scope? Also, if you were to choose between khales and zeiss, which glass is better?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 18:23
I have a conquest 3-9X40 w/ the Rapid-Z600.  I really like this scope.  It seems to be a well made scope with excellent optical quality for the price.  I don't have experience with the Kahles scopes, so I won't be able to help you there.

I really like the Rapid-Z matched up with my 7-08.  It took some work to "tune" the reticle.  I chronographed my load at elevation, ran the numbers through Zeiss' online ballistic calculator, and shot the combination under field conditions.  I found it useful to take Zeiss' advice and fine tune the zero at 400 yards after crunching the numbers.  The reticle will only be tuned for a certain temperature and elevation range, but it sure makes it easy in the field when you put the work in before-hand.
-Matt
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 22:47
Hey aggie (I went there 1/2 year in '67)

Anyway, I have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 RapidZ 800 and have installed and shot a couple of RapidZ 600's on other rifles.  I also have 3 Kahles scopes.

So, since I have a little experience, I will give my opinion.  The Conquest scope I have has the best clarity and resolution of any scope I own.  The Kahles CL MultiZero 4x12x52 scopes are brighter as is my Zeiss Diavari 2.5x10x50.

The RapidZ 800 is my favorite reticle.  I like my TDS reticle, the Burris Ballistic Mil Dot, the German #4 and the MultiZero's but the RapidZ is my favorite.

I no longer carry my spotting scope to the range anymore.  Admittedly it is a crappy Leupold 15x45x60 (I think, I'll have to find it and check) but it is not anywhere near as good at spotting bullet holes in targets at 300 and 400 yards as my Zeiss Conquest.  I have seen 22 caliber holes in 300 yard white targets with the Conquest when I could not spot them with the Kahles or Diavari.

Do I think the Conquests are good scopes, hell no, they are great scopes.

Again, JMHO
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2010 at 23:06
+1   Sounds like you are on the right track go for it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 08:18
I also have the 3-9x40 Conquest with the Rapid Z-600.  It's mounted on a .45-70 which has a lot of bullet drop even just out to 200 yards, so the reticle is really perfect for the gun.

My only concern about this reticle in this scope is that it is not illuminated.  The reticle itself is a bit thin - so in low light conditions you might have a little difficulty picking it up.  The glass itself will of course allow you to see fairly well because it's such good quality.  It's just a little tough to pick up those skinny lines in low light without illumination.  I have a Rapid Z - 1000 on another rifle that is illuminated and the difference is unbelievable.

To be fair, I do not own a Kahles, but I have looked through many of them.  They are also very good scopes for the money, but I've always tended toward Zeiss.  Perhaps this is because of their warranty.

Good luck with your decision.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 13:33
Originally posted by REMF REMF wrote:

I also have the 3-9x40 Conquest with the Rapid Z-600. 
The reticle itself is a bit thin - so in low light conditions you might have a little difficulty picking it up.  The glass itself will of course allow you to see fairly well because it's such good quality.  

but I've always tended toward Zeiss.  Perhaps this is because of their warranty.

Good luck with your decision.

Same opinion here. I have a 2.5-8x32 with the #20 reticle and it is perfect for low low light in the woods. I considered the Rapid Z 600, i had a Conquest 3-9x40 with this reticle at home for a few days (did not  mount on rifle) and found it a bit too thin for low light.
I will buy another 3-9x40 with the #20 reticle, because it suits my needs better and because i have learned to use a range finder and shoot to 300 yards with the regular duplex reticles.

As far as overall optics and scope quality, i find them the best possible quality scopes that are still not "insanely expensive". The view through a 40mm Conquest at 8x power compares favorably with my hunting binoculars (premium 7x42), so that should be a good indicator.

Mac11700 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac11700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 20:13

I just got my 3.5-10x44MC scope last weekend and did a 3 way side by side comparison with a VX-III 3.5-10x40  with a B&C reticle and a much cheaper Nikon 3x9 with their BDC reticle.I viewed through them until the light was completely gone. The Conquest IMHO allowed me to see well back into heavy brush when both others would not.The Rapid Z 600 was the easiest to see and use,was also the clearest edge to edge and the color rendition was completely accurate.The others weren't.

Don't let some fool you into thinking the Rapid Z 600 isn't dark enough,or difficult to use at last light,that isn't how I see them.This scope and reticule just gave me a 1/2 hour more hunting time. I've been a Leupold guy most of my long life,for the money as far as I am concerned,make mine a Zeiss please..

Mac 

akula88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akula88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 20:23
My 3.5-10x44 Z600 is mounted on my AR-15 SPR.  It's an awesome scope.  BDC has to be tailored depending on ammo velocity.  The reticle is a bit more thicker compared with my 3-9 z-plex.  Per their website, I presumed Z600 preferred to be zeroed at 200yards. It does lacked an 'rise' point for 150y purposes.  One thing that is improved on the NF new velocity reticle.

Overall glass is quite nice compared with a Leupold Mk.4 that I've seen.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2010 at 20:58

for information-- there are two z600 reticles , one is dark and the varmint one is pretty fine.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic