OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 VS IOR 4-14X50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 VS IOR 4-14X50
    Posted: April/24/2010 at 16:34
 Last year I compared the IOR 4-14X50 Tactical to the Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16X50 and decided on the IOR for it's better eye position forgiveness, reticle and field of view.
 One thing I didn't realize until after I decided and took the IOR hunting was that at lower magnifications the image was noticeably distorted. The foliage made the image appear "coke bottled". Clear in the very center, but stretched and distorted outward not just along the edge, but just beyond the middle of the image to the edge.
 It's been nagging at me and here I am. Not quite satisfied. It's a great scope at the higher X for target shooting, but I was hoping for something more versatile.
 Are there any reviews that pits the IOR glass against the Vortex Viper PST scopes?
 I'm interested in the PST 4-16X50mm for target and hunting atop a 300WM.
 How does the eye relief, eye/head position, brightness, clarity and contrast compare to the IOR? I know mechanically they're sound scopes, but given their price point I'm curious if it will be an upgrade in glass/image quality if I sell my IOR for a PST scope.  

Maine? Where's that?
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2010 at 18:52

Howdy Scotty

This seems to be a reoccurring theme with folks wanting to top one rife with a scope that can do it all. A lot of folks here do pretty much just that and use a variety of gear. 

If finances allow it "and from the looks of the gear you currently own they do" why not keep what you have set up for targets and buy a hunting rifle and top it with a decent scope with a good low end and wide field of view? 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2010 at 19:24
 I can't afford it right now. I'd have to sell the IOR if the Vortex is better.
Maine? Where's that?
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2010 at 21:53

Pyro has the Viper 2-7 and really likes it, might quiz him and see what he can tell ya. 

The 6500, the IOR,  and the Viper are all beyond my normal price range for hunting gear but the 4200 and the Vortex Diamondback I am familiar with. To me both are good scopes for a hunting rifle. 

Edited by neilbilly - April/24/2010 at 21:54
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2010 at 17:22
 My scope researching has gotten me in trouble.
 I found a Zeiss Diavari FL 4-16X50 and I'm in love. Now contemplating selling camera gear to possess her. Whacko 

Maine? Where's that?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic