OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any ideas on removing rust stains from wood?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any ideas on removing rust stains from wood?
    Posted: April/26/2010 at 15:12
It's too deep to sand out. any ideas on something I could possibly soak it in?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 15:23
I have heard of people that put wooden stocks in dishwashers to clean and dewax them as well as using a steam gun type devise.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 15:30
Use a Oxalic acid solution on the wood and brush with a med bristle brush then follow up with a clear water rinse. You may have to try 2-3 times but it works well when refinishing old furniture. You may want to try it in an area that is hidden to be sure you don't get any unwanted discoloration. This will remove any oils that have not penetrated too deeply that may be on other parts of the stock causing unwanted discoloration..
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 15:36
Has the wood been finished, or is it bare?  Are you certain it is too deep to sand out?  Did you actually try sanding it, or are you speculating that it's too deep?  If it has stained the wood and the wood is unfinished, you might try soaking the stained spot in mineral spirits.  That has worked for me before.  If the stain is deep, there isn't much you can do about it other than remove the stained area, live with it, or, depending on how dark the rust stain is, you might be able to hide it with a wood stain, but then, you'll pretty much have to stain the entire piece.  If that doesn't work, is there enough extra wood that you can remove the stained area and still have enough wood left to accomplish the task?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 15:38
3_tens posted as I was typing out my post.  I've never tried the oxalic acid solution before; it may work better than mineral spirits.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 15:50
thanks for the help. I am in the process of refinishing the stock so it is striped.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 15:53
I've also heard of people using bleach or hydrogen peroxide.  Use a brush to apply the bleach or peroxide only to the stained area.  Let it soak in.  Repeat a few times after waiting a few hours for it to dry until the stain is gone.  Then, when the stain is gone, neutralize the bleach or peroxide with vinegar water.  Follow up by rinsing the area in water.  Let the wood dry out again before applying any finish. 
Ted

rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 15:54

Try a little bit of clorox just a small amount and see if you can bleach it back to its normal coloring.
froggy
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 19:29

try a dilute solution of citric or ascorbic acid both will chelate Fe.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2010 at 21:54
ShockedKrylon

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2010 at 07:19
Take a wet rag and a heat gun and sweat it out, this will also take out small dings,scratches.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 08:06
Brownells has a Whiting product that is supposed to "pull" OIL out of wood stocks...........I would try that seeing as how this is an unusual question............
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 08:49
ive got a great idea, leave it be, it adds character!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 17:59
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

ive got a great idea, leave it be, it adds character!

That's kind of what I did. I tried some different things with some success but the heavier spots would have taken for ever.
Thanks for all the ideas. I'm sure they would have worked but I just ran out of patients with it.
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 18:19

This is the worst part.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 21:08
That rifle had a nice stock. Looks good with that finish.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 21:11
if it really bothers you, maybe a decent stock maker would shave 3/4 of an inch off the butt and go from there.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 23:13
So, did you try the bleaching discussed on the previous page?  If so, did it not work for you?
Ted

BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2010 at 04:07
I tried mineral spirits, bleach and a product called"Whink Rust Stain Remover".
 They all seamed to work some. The Whinks worked best.
I wish I had taken pictures before I started. What you see is a vast improvement.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2010 at 09:56
Very nice finish. Unless the rest of the gun looked new I would want it just like you did. Plus its something you plan on keeping so you now can also enjoy you handy work.
Good Job!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic