OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Marlin Firearms Closing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin Firearms Closing
    Posted: April/30/2010 at 19:47
It is a sad thing that we will lose another american business, let alone a gun manufacturer, but Marlin will close it's doors by June of 2011. better buy one while you still can!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 19:57
I thought they were moving to North Carolina or somewhere..............
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 20:00
i thought remington bought marlin???
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Teddy Bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 20:28
Remington did buy marlin 2 1/2 years ago.  Now they are shutting marlin plant down and moving equipment to an undetermined Remington plant where marlin rifles will still be made. (Only what I read, don't know how much is true)
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 20:36
 I've heard upstate NY.  WHO knows.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2010 at 21:48
Marlin is moving operations rather than closing down but there wont be any for 2.5 yrs so who knows if we will ever see them again.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2010 at 05:59
 Now that doesn't sound good at all!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2010 at 13:03
 When the decission was made they gave the employees a 15 minute break at the end of the day to tell them they would no longer have a job, plant closing in 6 weeks. The average worker there had over 23 years of senority, some over 30 most over 20. Nice way to treat dedicated workers who are losing their jobs not because of slow sales(just the opposite) but because someone in the corporate office thinks they can make a few more dollars consolidating plants. DPMS,Bushmaster, and a few more better watch for the same thing coming to them.
froggy
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2010 at 14:43
Tis a shame! I really like their lever guns.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2010 at 15:11
" Don't you believe a word of it.  'Sides I heard she wasn't pregnant, anyhow...."  

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2010 at 15:42
Jobs only belong to the market that supports them.  No market equals no job.  How many more 30-30's can the market hold? 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2010 at 15:58
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2010 at 16:29

just a damn shame !!!

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2010 at 17:06

In addition to those 30/30's they also make some of the most accurate and affordable rimfire rifles to be had. I've got a 982SS .22 mag that is a tack driver. Hearing that their workforce at the plant was as experienced as they were it is no shock that they made a good product. I may have to buy a couple of more guns off my wish list and even add one or 2. 

That sucks bad about the folks getting laid off. It's not even lack of demand, it's greed at the top. Cencored

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2010 at 17:13
Obama will not need to ban guns. The greed of Cerberus will do it first. The problem in the world today is there is no tradition left. Not much completion either. Make laws so that the super large conglomerates like Cerberus don't have to worry about competition. You can't start up a new company to compete because of the bought out politicians creating laws that make it prohibitive to start a new business. then the conglomerates buy out or crush any completion. If they decide you don't need something you can't buy it. WalMart is a good example of this practice too. I said it was a very bad thing when Cerberus bought Remington Browning, Winchester and H&R. The end is past and most people still can't see it. Cerberus the greek guard dog of Hell. Who needs an Anti-Christ.
 ---  EDIT ---        I found the article that I got this information on on the Bloomburg report. If you go to the end it had a retraction and corrected that FN bought Winchester and Browning. Sorry for the misinformation.

Edited by 3_tens - May/07/2010 at 13:53
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2010 at 18:22
Really Sad
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 08:00
I guess I had better go out and re-buy all the old Marlins that I don't have anymore...............Stare
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
corky52 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 14:42
Doggone, I was about to put my 1953 336 .30-30 lever gun up for sale.  I guess that's not gonna happen now!  One more American icon going by the wayside.Sad
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 17:19
You can bet that since Cerberus has shut down both of the lever gun Mfg. that they will stop making the 30-30 ammunition.  This will cause all of these millions of hunting rifles obsolete. Profit wise a good move. For the shooting public a major stroke against us. All of the earthquakes in southern California recently was John Wayne rolling over in his grave.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
montanaoffroader View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montanaoffroader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 21:36
It's all about the $$$.  They all but came right out and said it was about union busting. Now they can dump all the decently paid, experienced long term employees and replace most of them with kids making 1/3 the wage. Bunch of greedy SOB's.

Guess I'd better hang on to my Marlins, prob be awhile before they are back up and running......and who knows which models won't survive the cut.
Mike

Originally from the People's Republik of Kalifornia - Currently hiding out in the last best place.......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic