OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any reviews of the Bushnell Excursion EX 7x36

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any reviews of the Bushnell Excursion EX 7x36
    Posted: May/11/2010 at 15:04
I was roaming thru the bargain cave this morning at Cabelas and stumbled across a brand new, never used, discontinued (maybe by Cabelas only) Bushnell Excursion EX 7x36 "Chuck Adams Edition" camo binoc.  Actually they had two - one @ $199.99 and another one at $159.99 (brand new). I didn't go outside with it but this little gem was really nice, and for $160, I really had a hard time not taking it home. 

I've really been thinking about getting the Zen Ray EDII for $370 but I'm wondering if it's really $210 better than the Bushnell? Any references would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by tpcollins - May/11/2010 at 15:05
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 22:24
Having had both, YES the ZEN ED is $210 better.  The only advantage the Bushnell has is its small size.  The size difference between the two is pretty obvious, with the ZEN being considerably bigger.  Optically there is no comparison.

I originally bought the Bushnell primarily out of pure curiosity.  The thing that got me was the advertised 488' fov.  That spec was everywhere, on the Bushnell website and every dealer who had them parroted that figure.  When they came out of the box, it said on the end of the focus wheel that the fov was 408'.  So I called Bushnell./  I had measured the fov of mine and it was 408'.  The fella I talked to told me the fov was 488'.  So I asked him to get a new one and see what it said.  Just like mine, 408'.  So depending on what specs are used where, keep in mind not to expect 488'.

I returned mine because the eyecup did not screw out all the way.  Optically they are just fair.  As far as I can tell they are the same binocular as the Vortex Diamondback 7x36 with the open hinge vs standard body being the only difference.

I actually found the open bridge Bushnell to be much more awkward for me than the Diamondback.  It is just too small for a open hinge.  The gap is only 1 1/2 fingers and I can't get a comfortable grip.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic