OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hawke vs Konus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucansam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawke vs Konus
    Posted: May/12/2010 at 22:04
Years ago it was easy to buy a scope, you either bought a Weaver or a Simmons or a Bushnell or a Nikon if budget was an issue, or a Leupold if you had money to burn.  Now everyone and their mother is designing scopes and having them built elsewhere, and there are so many choices, I am really very confused.

I've got a .308 700 I'd like to scope, and had my heard set on a 16x SS.  I have a 10x SS that I am pleased with, but it is reserved for a matching LTR in .223 that will come later.  I have long been a fan of fixed power scopes, but when I started looking at other scopes in a similar (+/- $150) price range, all of a sudden I was looking at side focus, locking turrets, illuminated reticles, and a bunch of other stuff that I don't know if I need.

Of particular interest to me are the Konus M30 and Hawke Sidewinder Tactical lines.  I've looked at Falcon, Vortex, etc., but to be honest, if I keep opening up to other options, I'll spent the next year doing research and reading reviews, rather than committing to a product and getting to the range.

Has anyone done any comparisons of the Konus and Hawke scopes?  Both have similar features, both have (thus far) gotten somewhat favorable reviews, and both are new enough that I don't know whether or not I should pick one up. 

Any comments?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 23:47

I have only looked through 1 Hawk and was not impressed. Of the three you mention, I would go with the Vortex. Don't be fooled with gimmicks. Quality glass is what you want. The price of the gimmicks reduce the amount that the maker can use for better glass. Glass trumps magnification. Gimmicks are prone to problems.

Edited by 3_tens - May/12/2010 at 23:49
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 00:23

From your picks it seems the upper end of your desired magnification range is about 15-16 and you want a tactical style optic.  The previous poster hit it on the head in my opinion - spend your money on the glass.  I tried a few $500 dollar range options of various brands on my 308 testing different features and went back to my SS 10x42 HD.  Better Eye reilef - much better glass, pure confidence that when I dial an adjustment if I my POA and POI are of its my fault.  That plus a tank of an optic that will last. 

In the $500 range I tried the Falcon Menace and for the money its a decent FFP Mil/Mil optic.  The Eye relief is pretty rough but I now have one on my Savage mark II 22LR and it works great for that in the "trainer" roll.

I cannot speak specifically to the brands and models you asked about.  I can say that optics in price range that offer all the bells and whistles of the $1500 optics generally fall in the - you get what you pay for theory.

If your set on that magnification range I would recommend upping the buy in fee so your not replacing it in 3 months.  If that is your max budget I would drop a few features by prioritizing them and get some better glass.  Not just tossing praise and the SS line because they run the website - the 10x HD and FFP 3-9 are the best glass I own sub $1000 - hands down.  I have tried alot of optics in the sub 1k arena and I always go back to the SS line.

GL in your search
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 17:35
I have looked at quite a fe Hawke scopes.  Some I liked and some I did not.  If you go through the "reviews" section of the forum, you will find a couple of my Hawke reviews.  

Konus I have not really looked at, but I am trying to get a loaner M30 from them to review.  Hopefully, I'll know more once I play with it.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic