OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sauer 90

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vgmhunor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sauer 90
    Posted: May/14/2010 at 07:39
I have bought a beautiful Sauer 90 in 308 cal. It came with Redfield turn in style 1 inch setup. I'd like to mount a Weaver Classic Extreme 3.5-10x50, 30mm tube scope on it.
What other options do I have in selecting other base and ring combo?  To tell you the truth, I am not great fan of the turn in style bases. Idealy I'd mount a one piece Picatinny base on it, since it is a rare modell in the U.S., don't think anyone has it.
Hope the wealth of knownledge of this forum can steer me into the right direction.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 07:44
Millet makes a blank base that would need to be machined to fit.  Not sure you have the ability to do so but it is an option if you can't fine one that will match up your hole pattern...
Millett Picatinny 1 Piece Base Millett Picatinny 1 Piece Base
Stock # - PC00003
  • Blank Tactical
  • Matte
$42.95 
Add Millett Picatinny 1 Piece Base to Cart 
Another option would be to get the dimentions of the hole pattern you need and post it. Someone might be able to compare that to the ones availible and get one that matches. 
Good luck with the hunt.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 09:27
  Warne makes 2pc bases for the Sauer 90 that takes Weaver style rings:

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
vgmhunor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vgmhunor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 11:40
I like Warnes a lot.  Own 2 sets of their QD rings, return to zero is quite good. If nothing else pans out I'll go with them.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 12:02
 Here's another 2pc option:
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
vgmhunor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vgmhunor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 17:27
Rumor is Talleys milled rather tight, in occasions marring scopes? I do like to to line the inside of my rings with black electric tape, which works well on Warnes.
vgmhunor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vgmhunor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2010 at 10:09
As an interim solution I have mounted a spare Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 using the original rings.
Not spectacular, but with factory Win. PP 150 grain- from the top of my folded up jacket is acceptable. The search still continues towards the QD setup.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic