OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Minox ZA-3, Meopta MeoPro and Zeiss Conquest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minox ZA-3, Meopta MeoPro and Zeiss Conquest
    Posted: June/04/2010 at 22:21
Short version:

• I liked all three scopes enough to recommend them. With Minox and Meopta, my recommendation is conditional on how they hold up. These are new product lines, and there is no way of knowing how they fare long term until there are enough of them out in the field. Personally, I suspect they will do just fine. 
  • For the time being, I think Conquest is still the most well-rounded hunting scope in this price range. However, any reticle other than Z-Plex carries a considerable price premium. If you are comfortable with the Z-Plex, Conquest is still the way to go. 
  • Minox offers the most eye relief of the bunch with the most eye position flexibility. It is also smaller and lighter than the other two. If you are looking for a scope to put on a light rifle that has appreciable kick even with moderate calibers, consider the ZA-3. It is a good fit for a mountain rifle. It also has the best centerfield resolution of the bunch. Reticle selection will expand through the year. 
  • If you are comfortable with a large eyepiece and a slightly heavier scope, and you expect to spend a lot of time in low light, consider the Meopta MeoPro with the #4 reticle. It offers a very comfortable view in challenging light and there is no price premium for choosing #4 reticle. Reticle selection is a big deal for me, since there are not all that many reasonably affordable scopes with good low light reticles out there.
Long version:

Let me know what you think.

ILya
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2010 at 06:42
"And thats how the fight started".  Thanks always for your time and professional advise.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
BobinNH View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobinNH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2010 at 16:11
That was A great read, Thank you for posting!
snakeman48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeman48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 16:12
I just finished the read on this review during one of my insomnia moments last night.

Another excellent review.

Thanks' Ilya for doing these reviews for us. Very, informative.
NRA Benefactor Member.    Veteran; US Army 5th Corps 1970-1972

The only time in my life when I got to Rock-N-Roll, and the ammo was free!!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 18:01
Excellent review, Ilya!  Thanks for your time and effort!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 14:58
I just heard back from Minox and the scope I was looking at is indeed an early prototype hence some quirks that I saw with the assembly.

Still, they are ripping it apart to do more detailed FA based on my comments.  Can't ask for more than that.

ILya
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 14:59
The Dark Lord's power once again displayed
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 09:06
Thanks for very good review.I've already purchased a Z5 4-20x50 & am looking forward to your opion on this scope,
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
amandak695 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amandak695 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 04:20
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Short version:

• I liked all three scopes enough to recommend them. With Minox and Meopta, my recommendation is conditional on how they hold up. These are new product lines, and there is no way of knowing how they fare long term until there are enough of them out in the field. Personally, I suspect they will do just fine. 
  • For the time being, I think Conquest is still the most well-rounded hunting scope in this price range. However, any reticle other than Z-Plex carries a considerable price premium. If you are comfortable with the Z-Plex, Conquest is still the way to go. 
  • Minox offers the most eye relief of the bunch with the most eye position flexibility. It is also smaller and lighter than the other two. If you are looking for a scope to put on a light rifle that has appreciable kick even with moderate calibers, consider the ZA-3. It is a good fit for a mountain rifle. It also has the best centerfield resolution of the bunch. Reticle selection will expand through the year. 
  • If you are comfortable with a large eyepiece and a slightly heavier scope, and you expect to spend a lot of time in low light, consider the Meopta MeoPro with the #4 reticle. It offers a very comfortable view in challenging light and there is no price premium for choosing #4 reticle. Reticle selection is a big deal for me, since there are not all that many reasonably affordable scopes with good low light reticles out there.
Long version:

Let me know what you think.

ILya

Such a very amazing link!
Thanks you for the post.

tidmarshsmiths5 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tidmarshsmiths5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 21:53
WOW! Perfect read! Exactly what I was looking for!

More for me to compare...that was a great writeup.

Thank you.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2010 at 15:09
............and they are not expensive!!      [ well, not relatively.....400 bucks is still $400...]  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2011 at 15:54
I must have missed something here. How would the Minox and Conquest compare as far as color, etc. is concerned? I.e. picking out a coyote at a longer distance against a similar background in lower light?

Thanks!

(shut up EdSmile )
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2011 at 23:42
Originally posted by jetwrnch jetwrnch wrote:

I must have missed something here. How would the Minox and Conquest compare as far as color, etc. is concerned? I.e. picking out a coyote at a longer distance against a similar background in lower light?

Thanks!

(shut up EdSmile )

As far as color goes, Minox and Conquest are pretty similar.  Picking out a target at a distance will be a little easier with the Minox in the center of the FOV and a little easier with the Conquest closer to the edges.

ILya
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 15:59

Ilya,

Thank you so much for the great write up. I just ordered 2 of the ZA5 Minox scopes with the help of Chris F. II    Thanks Chris!!Smile  One scope for a AR is a 3x15x50 XR-BDC, the other for a New 17 HMR Savage is a 3x15x42 4A Reticle...... I think these are gonna be Great scopes for these rifles and the price and service sure was great...I may be getting a Vortex PST soon also and Im curious as to what you have to say about them as well Ilya. Please keep up the great work..

Also you asked me to up date you sometime on lil Butch I got from your area in CA. Actually Delano, Butch is doing very very well, he has turned out to be the best dog Ive ever had. I just love Pitts!!

Jules......
JAG980 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 12:11
Ya know ... I realize that through the lens camera shots are NOT at all the truth. However when I look at all three of the photos of the American flag, I see the Meopta to be much higher in clarity and resolution. Maybe it is just me though.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 10:56
Originally posted by JAG980 JAG980 wrote:

Ya know ... I realize that through the lens camera shots are NOT at all the truth. However when I look at all three of the photos of the American flag, I see the Meopta to be much higher in clarity and resolution. Maybe it is just me though.

"Through the scope" photographs, unless very carefully set up, have exactly zero bearing on the optical quality of the scope.

I do not go through the effort of setting it up and any pictures I take are not designed to demonstrate the optical quality of the photos.

For years, I refused to take any through the scope photos specifically because there would always be someone inclined to make image quality conclusions based on that.  I have started take some of the pictures to show the FOV and the reticles, but despite the disclaimers people still tend to read too much into ti.

ILya
153 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 153 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2012 at 08:35
Just purchased a Conquest off the Sample List for 329 with at 4a reticle. I already have a Conquest with the Z-plex that to my eye was as good as a Kahles I have,that was 5-6 years old, in low light. I will report back after I mount and compare to the Swarvoski I just purchased last fall.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic