OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need good scope for .3006 (now with range results)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need good scope for .3006 (now with range results)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need good scope for .3006 (now with range results)
    Posted: June/08/2010 at 11:57
I am a member of the savage shooters forum and they suggested I come here for recommendations for a good scope for my savage 110 .3006. I would like something with more power than a 3x9 because living in Indiana where you cant hunt with high powered rifles most of my shooting is done at the range and want to be able to see the targets well and not have to guess that I am aiming at the bullseye. I dont shoot often but when I do go I like to put quite a few rounds down range. I want something around say 6x18 or so that will hold up to the recoil of the .3006 and not lose its zero as well as being clear. I would like to spend less than $600.

Edited by saitotiktmdog - September/09/2010 at 05:37
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 13:10
The Burris Signiture Select with the B plex matches very well to the 30-06 with 150 gr. loads. The resolution is very good. Mine has been a very good scope.
Burris 4-16x44 Signature Select Rifle Scope Ballistic Plex Burris 4-16x44 Signature Select Rifle Scope
Stock # - 200768
  • Matte
  • Ballistic Plex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
$519.95
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 13:19
First off.  Welcome to the OT.  Being this will be mainly a traget scope I'd look at something you can dial in corrections with (target knobs)  This viper would be a great setup and glass is very good on them. 
Vortex 6.5-20x50 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope Target Dot Vortex 6.5-20x50 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM06TDOT
  • Matte
  • Target Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
$459.95 
Add Vortex 6.5-20x50 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
another good scope with lots of good reviews
Sightron 4-16x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope Dot Sightron 4-16x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope
Stock # - SIIB41642D
  • Matte
  • Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Target Knobs
$609.95 
Add Sightron 4-16x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
and there are several/numerous others we can recommend.  What kind of features do you want most?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 13:25
Since it is for hunting, I would keep the bottom end at no higher than 4x incase you have a close range shot.

Sightron Big Sky.  Great glass, covered small target type turrets Climate control coating (like bushnells rainguard)
http://swfa.com/Sightron-4-16x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9166.aspx

Bushnell 4200.  Good glass, Rainguard coating. 
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-4-16x40-Elite-4200-Rifle-Scope-P11606.aspx

Vortex Viper.  Not quite as high of mag as you want, but an excellent scope.
http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-12x40-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P10820.aspx

Nikon, good scope for the money
http://swfa.com/Nikon-4-16x42-Monarch-Riflescope-P42332.aspx

Meopta, again not as high as you want, but very good glass.  Possibly better than any of the others listed.
http://swfa.com/Meopta-4-12x50-Meopro-Rifle-Scope-P45968.aspx

Weaver Super Slam
http://swfa.com/Weaver-3-15x42-Super-Slam-Rifle-Scope-P40561.aspx

That should get you started.  Any of those would make for a great medium to longer range hunting setup

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 13:31
ST, it is not for hunting, state doesn't allow centerfire.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 13:37
oops, I missed the "t" on can't.  my bad.  Guess thats what I get for speed reading.  In that case I vote for the Vortex SVT put up or the Sightron Big Sky as they have adjustable/resettable turrets

Edited by supertool73 - June/08/2010 at 13:37
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 14:42
+1 on Vortex 6.5-20x50
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 16:38
You may want to consider the Bushnell Elite 6500 in 2.5X16X42MM. Excellent optics, Rainguard, durable and can handle the recoil with ease.
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 19:18
Thanks for the input guys. I was one of those guys who purchased cheap scopes not wanting to fork out the money for a decent one, but after spending $150 on a bushnell banner that crapped out on me after less than a year I definitely believe it is worth spending some extra cash to get a good scope. I will look into these when I have more time.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 19:20
I already have some decent 30 mm scope mounts and would like to use them if I can so I think I will look for scopes with 30mm tubes. Is there a major benifit of the extra 5 millimeters?
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 21:12

Welcome

If it's going to be a target rifle, why not get one of these and call it good?

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-16x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P501.aspx

It's a 30mm tube, has good glass and can do all you're looking to do for 1/2 your top end price. "more money for shells Thunbs Up"

If you want more magnification and variable power settings. That Viper SVT linked is a good scope from what I hear.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 21:40
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

Welcome

If it's going to be a target rifle, why not get one of these and call it good?

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-16x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P501.aspx

It's a 30mm tube, has good glass and can do all you're looking to do for 1/2 your top end price. "more money for shells Thunbs Up"

If you want more magnification and variable power settings. That Viper SVT linked is a good scope from what I hear.

I am just a little wary that it wont handle the recoil of the .3006. I know there are plenty of rifles with more recoil but the .3006 still kicks pretty good and I am just not sure it would handle the recoil after a few hundred rounds go down range.
And for the background that led me here. Here is the link to my thread from the savage forum  http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,31337.0.html
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 21:49
 WELCOME to OT.

That SWFA SS 16x42 is 50BMG rated.  I don't believe you'd have to worry about recoil problems.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 22:25

Wink

If you look at the product description and the reviews, that SS looks like a pretty good fit. They are well built scopes. There are also some reviews of them on other sites where folks have given good honest evaluations. It's a tank of a scope.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 07:07

I can say with pretty good confidence that the SS line will hold up to a 30-06  with boring regularity!  It is arguably one of the toughest scopes on the market.  IF you on the fence don't be.  SWFA owns the SS line and they stand behind every one of those scopes

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 08:29
Is the SS a fixed power scope? Im not sure I will want all that magnification all the time.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 08:41

it is a fixed power.  I think you'd be better off with a variable like the Vortex or Sightron I mentioned earlier.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 06:58

I think I am leaning toward the Vortex you mentioned in your post. THat sightron looks good too though.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 07:32
You won't be sorry with the Viper.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 11:33
Just an FYI for the future...  I have had the SS on my 300 Ultra Mag for 3 years now.  I have not had one problem with the scope.  Maintains zero and still looks great. 

With the scopes you have narrowed down to, I would go with the Vortex...

Good Luck!

Edited by Trays 7940 - June/11/2010 at 11:34

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic