OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski Z6 vs Zeiss Diavari FL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2010 at 05:11
 Didn't the PH also have the 4 coil erector?
 What exactly aren't you impressed with in the top end of your Z6? Sharpness, resolution...?
Maine? Where's that?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2010 at 12:57
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Ted is spot on in his assessment.  Personally though, Zeiss Diavari FL impressed the hell out of me.   The choice depends on the usage.  If you expect to spend a lot of time at high magnification, I like the Zeiss FL.  If you expect to mostly use it at mid-low magnification, then Z6 is likely better.

Oh, and they do NOT have the same glass.  Both have glass made by Schott, but that is the extend of the similarity.  This particular model of Z6 does use ED glass for one of th elenses in the objective system, but it is an entirely different design and even the type of ED glass used is different. 

ILya
Well, ILya, I guess the guy from Swarovski was mistaken on what glass was used in his scope.  I called Swarovski Optik in Germany and spoke to the gentleman on the phone for about 30 minutes.  He told me the Swarovski Z6 glass in the 2.5-15 and above scopes was the same as the Zeiss FL glass.  I said "the same glass", he said "yes, the same glass".  There was a bit of a language barrier and it IS possible that his comments were meant to convey "same quality".  But he said "same glass"...

Edited by Kickboxer - June/19/2010 at 14:02
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2010 at 16:46
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Ted is spot on in his assessment.  Personally though, Zeiss Diavari FL impressed the hell out of me.   The choice depends on the usage.  If you expect to spend a lot of time at high magnification, I like the Zeiss FL.  If you expect to mostly use it at mid-low magnification, then Z6 is likely better.

Oh, and they do NOT have the same glass.  Both have glass made by Schott, but that is the extend of the similarity.  This particular model of Z6 does use ED glass for one of th elenses in the objective system, but it is an entirely different design and even the type of ED glass used is different. 

ILya
Well, ILya, I guess the guy from Swarovski was mistaken on what glass was used in his scope.  I called Swarovski Optik in Germany and spoke to the gentleman on the phone for about 30 minutes.  He told me the Swarovski Z6 glass in the 2.5-15 and above scopes was the same as the Zeiss FL glass.  I said "the same glass", he said "yes, the same glass".  There was a bit of a language barrier and it IS possible that his comments were meant to convey "same quality".  But he said "same glass"...

Swarovski Optik is headquartered in Austria, so I assume you called there.

They both use Schott glass, and they both use a version of extra-low dispersion glass for one of the elements.  In that regard, it is the same glass.  However, in that same regard, another twenty different scopes out there also have the same glass.  Schott makes a lot of glass for a lot of companies.

What you rep meant (and I verified this at SHOT, you can check my write-up) is that all Z6 scopes with top magnification of 15x and above use ED glass of some sort.  However, the optical system between the two scopes is entirely different.

ILya
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2010 at 19:44
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2010 at 20:30
Scottyman,
I apologize- didn't notice that you had said Diavari FL and I made a statement about the Z6 being superior to the Diavari in low light.
I'd correct that to say superior to the Diavari T as I'm unfamiliar with the FL model

Your eyes may see things differently.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2010 at 20:41
 The PH used the Patented Swarovski 4 Coil Spring System. Maybe they had them in different locations? http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f40/swarovski-ph-tds-4-4-16x50-30mm-scope-nib-sold-locally-53194/

Maine? Where's that?
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2010 at 20:49
  The 1" AV model used the leaf spring. I'm not sure why Swarovski is giving the impression (actually I know, marketing) that the newer Z models are the 1st to use coil springs. 

Maine? Where's that?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2010 at 11:35

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

ILya

Swarovski Optik is headquartered in Austria, so I assume you called there.

They both use Schott glass, and they both use a version of extra-low dispersion glass for one of the elements.  In that regard, it is the same glass.  However, in that same regard, another twenty different scopes out there also have the same glass.  Schott makes a lot of glass for a lot of companies.

What you rep meant (and I verified this at SHOT, you can check my write-up) is that all Z6 scopes with top magnification of 15x and above use ED glass of some sort.  However, the optical system between the two scopes is entirely different.

ILya
I called their main office in Germany.  I could never get through to Austria.  They have a couple of other international HQ's, as well.  It was very difficult to understand the gentleman I spoke with, his English was almost as bad as my German, but he was very patient with me and we did try to communicate.  I understand the comments you made, NOW, and can see how Alfred or Alford (could never tell which he was saying) and I did not track completely.  Roger your last paragraph, we are in complete agreement...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2010 at 14:10
Originally posted by Scottyman Scottyman wrote:

The 1" AV model used the leaf spring. I'm not sure why Swarovski is giving the impression (actually I know, marketing) that the newer Z models are the 1st to use coil springs. 

The Z5 series are the first of their 1" tube scopes to use the coil springs.  The Z3, on the other hand, still uses leaf springs.  Z3 is essentially the same as the previous AV series, with only cosmetic and name differences.  All of their 30mm scopes use coil springs and have for a long time.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2010 at 14:34
Sounds like a truck...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic