OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

T/C Icon 7mm-08 Needs Glass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayouBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T/C Icon 7mm-08 Needs Glass
    Posted: June/23/2010 at 18:05

Brother-in-Law called to tell me he just bought a T/C Icon in 7mm-08 with weather shield and ultrawood stock(some kind of special run). We started talking about what kind of glass he was going to use, so I thought this would be a good place to start looking. This is going to be his primary deer rifle for hunting Mississippi woods. Shots are going to be at longest 250-300 yards, with most being in the 75 to 125 yard range. We still hunt mostly so weight is not a factor but clearity for dusk and dawn is imperative. I would like to get some opinions and maybe what mounts to go along with the intergrated rail.

Thanks,

We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 18:09
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 18:12
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/firearmDetails.php?ID=5672

This is the rifle I'm thinking he's talking about!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 18:19
 This is the Icon he's meaning,Steely:

Icon Ultra Wood Walnut

Medium Action - Featuring Ultra-Wood Stock

ICON

CALIBERS: .22-250 REM, .243 WIN, .308 WIN & 30TC »Spec Charts

So how much is he looking to spend on a scope,Buck? For rings I'd probably go with Burris or Warne.

Edited by 300S&W - June/23/2010 at 18:23
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
BayouBuck View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayouBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 18:31

Lipsey’s Exclusive Thompson/Center 7mm-08 Icon Bolt-Action Rifle. The rifle above but with the Weathershield. Its 1 of 250 made. He wants to keep it in the $400-$500 range.  

Edited by BayouBuck - June/23/2010 at 18:33
We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 18:58
 At $400 to $500  I'd go with this:

Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope
Z-Plex Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5214609920
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$399.95
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 19:08
The Zeiss above would be a very good choice. I will also suggest these:
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$429.95
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42     Cool
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95
As for rings Warne or TPS.  Probably for most guys the Zeiss would be the right choice but if he hunts where he can use the balistic reticle hold over points say x at 200 next dot down 300 next dot down 400 the Leupold would be a good hunting rig.  If he is inclined to target shoot or dial in correction the Super Sniper models would make it a lot more fun on the range and allow him to dial in correction.  But if its really heavy brush a low power with heavy reticle like a #4 or post might be a good choice or an illuminated reticle like the Accupoint Trijicons but those are spendy.
IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope 4A IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope
Stock # - 403240
  • Matte
  • 4A
  • 1"
$359.95
Bushnell 1.25-4x24 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope 4A w/ Illuminated Dot Bushnell 1.25-4x24 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 421424M
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rainguard
  • Free Fleece Pullover (Mail-In Coupon)
$499.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/23/2010 at 19:22

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 19:15
This is $100 over the max price, but if low light is super-important:

Gotta love a big objective and #4!
-Matt
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 06:16
+1 on the Zeiss Conquest. May also want to check out the Minox ZA 3  3-9 X 40.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 07:24
  Seems the Meopro 3-9 needs to be field tested to!

Meopta 3-9x42 Meopro Rifle Scope
Meopta 3-9x42 Meopro Rifle Scope
Stock # - MEO524370
  • Matte
  • 1"
$399.95
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 07:28
 Of course there's always the ol'stand by:
   Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Multi-X Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 423944M
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Free Fleece Pullover (Mail-In Coupon)
$299.95 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 07:33
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

At $400 to $500  I'd go with this:

Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope
Z-Plex Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5214609920
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$399.95
+1
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 08:37
Man did I miss that one.    Go on without me, really I'll be fine.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 09:24
TC just started making these bolt guns after being bought by S&W supposedly they have a R5 type rifling in the barrel and while the rep was jumping up and down about how good they are I have not tried one or know anyone who has so I would like to hear back on the success level of this one if possible.  I wasnt wild about the style of bolt but thats just me and my big paws others may like it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 19:47
I am no expert, but I have a TC ICON that I can tell you about.  My also has the Ultrawood stock, except my barrel is blued.  I thought it would be fun to do something different, so I got it chambered in .30 TC.  That definitely wasn't the smartest thing I ever did, because in my opinion the .30 TC has proven to be somewhat of a fraud.  I did get a great deal on this particular caliber of ICON - it was only $400 after rebate.  Normally this rifle is about $750 - $800 new, so I can live with it.  For now Hornady is keeping the .30 TC factory ammo pricing down.  Hopefully it stays that way.  It's only available with the SST in 150gr and 165gr.

As far as the rifle goes, I like most things about it.  It was very accurate out of the box.  I shot several groups less than 1" on the first day I had it at the range.  The Ultrawood stock is really nice.  It's got the great look of solid walnut and it's supposed to have the strength of laminate because of the fabrication process.  The ICON action is very smooth and has worked flawlessly for me.  The integrated Weaver bases are convenient.  The trigger is very nice.  There are a few things that I don't like about it.  One is the plastic magazine.  Also, the top of the receiver is more like a tactical rifle than a hunting rifle, so loading a single shot  in the field in a hurry would be difficult.  Another thing is that the receiver on my rifle is a matte finish and the blued barrel is a gloss finish, so they don't match.  That's kind of lame.  The bolt handle on mine is a butter knife design, which I'm not a huge fan of.  TC sells interchangeable ICON bolt handles for $60, so I might change mine out for a knob handle. 

I have it scoped with a 3.5-10x50 Cabela's Alaskan Guide that I got on clearance a couple of years ago for about $150.  It has performed well for me.  Last November I harvested a nice Missouri buck at 320 yds right before the end of shooting light with this setup, so I can't complain. 

I have a 2008 Winchester Model 70 in 270 to compare the ICON to.  The ICON is a little more accurate, but I like the look and feel of the Model 70 more.  I also like the action and receiver better on the Model 70.  The triggers are about the same - both are very good.  If I somehow lost my ICON I would be pretty upset, but if I lost my Model 70 I would be devastated.  That about sums it up.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 20:18
I really like the looks of this rifle, and within this price point $400-$500, there's alot of great choices as the others have posted.  I personally like the conquest and and the VX3 in this price range. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 22:17
+1 Conquest
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 00:23
I have the exact rifle your talking about. I think the they only produced 250 of these for Lipseys. I like mine a lot, i have a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest and Warne rings on it. Lots of people talk about the 1/2 inch groups they shoot, Maybe this rifle can do it, but I cant. My eyes arent good enough. I CAN shoot an 1 1/2 group with it, which is as good as I can shoot my much more expensive and much heavier Remington Sendero 7 mag.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 18:47
A good quality 3-9x40 seems to be in order, preferably with a reticle that works well in low light.

I just looked at three of those scopes.  Any one of these three would likely work well:

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic