OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6mm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 13:12
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Isn't 6mm what "everybody who's anybody" is shooting in BR these days?  Not disparaging anyone, not saying it is right or wrong, but isn't 6mm the "hot ticket" in BR? 

6mm PPC, not 6mm Rem.  Occasionally, someone will use 6BR, but mostly for long range BR.  Neither have the case capacity of the 6mm Rem.  The PPC and BR follow the short/fat case design concept, and case volume is tweaked for consistent velocities with the powders optimized for their case capacity.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 13:16
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

thats correct
You know way more about 6mm than any normal human should...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 13:20
Ronn,
Why not go with the .25-06 as Pyro suggested anyway?  It does everything the 6mm Rem does and more.  Both are equally well suited for virtually identical applications, except the .25-06 is a little better for larger animals.

If you just want a 6mm Rem, you should be able to find plenty of used guns on Gunbroker.com or Gunsamerica.com.  However, if it were me, I'd just take an existing action and have it rebarreled as was suggested.  Then you can choose a good barrel of known quality rather than roll the dice on a factory barrel that may or may not shoot.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 13:38

Just what I have seen recently................Rem.700 varmint/laminated stock , Ruger #1, and Cooper Phoenix . I personally have a Steyr Model L .6mm Rem and like it a lot , my son will probably start using it in a few years (my wife's Dad gave it to me)!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 19:51
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

thats correct
You know way more about 6mm than any normal human should...

i like to read about stuff like this, and yes i agree 6mm's are not my cup of tea. i prefer to start at .257 diam. which i why i mentioned the 25-06.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2010 at 13:00
Originally posted by Trigger slap Trigger slap wrote:

I have seen Some Ruger #1 rifles chambered in this caliber. If you can use a single shot, these are really nice.

I have one of those in 6mm Rem. and like it a lot. Big Smile Daughter confiscated my factory Win. 70 Featherweight in 6mm Rem.  I don't think I'll get it back.... 
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Stevey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 17:07
SmileNit picking ballistic difference between the 6mm  Rem (.244) & .243 Win.

The 6mm is factory loaded at higher pressures, holds about 2-3 grains more powder, and can squeeze about 100 fps MV more.

Both fit real nicely in S/A rifles with COAL of 2.8 -- so a .243 Win can be rebarreled to a 6mm Rem.

If I were restricted to factory loaded ammo I would go with the .243 Win but if you load your own the 6mm is a tiny bit better.

Search the gun and hock shops or consider a rebarrel job.

If you want to go way out consider a 6mm-06 - like a .240 Wby but easy to find brass - the pain of paying about $150 for dies goes away after a year or so.

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 17:46
A good friend of mine has a Rem. model 600 Mohawk chambered in 6mmRem. It has an 18.5" barrel and is very well balanced. And it shoots lights out with 100gr. Sierra Gamekings and IMR 4350!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 18:56
Tell you what guys,it's such an honor to be part of this site.Just got 10mins.of great reading on the 6mm varients.....Thanks
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 19:24
 It's GOOD havin ya around,stick!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 19:48

I went through this about 18 months ago and I went with the 6mm.  I was actually looking for a 243 when I stumbled on to it.  Thus far its been pretty good but it is finicky with powder, bullet and primer combo’s.  Some shoot good @ MAX where others are more middle of the load charges.

One thing about the 6mm vs the 243 is the length of the neck, which allegedly starves off throat erosion.  243's have a reputation of being barrel burners, not saying they are, but...  Ballistic wise, all things being equal the 6mm should fly faster but even though, accuracy is what it is all about.  You’ll just have to check it out.  Also the 6mm pills have good BC’s as does 6.5mm.  Not to sure about the 25 cals.

HTH,

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 22:22
Originally posted by tjtjwdad tjtjwdad wrote:

I went through this about 18 months ago and I went with the 6mm.  I was actually looking for a 243 when I stumbled on to it.  Thus far its been pretty good but it is finicky with powder, bullet and primer combo’s.  Some shoot good @ MAX where others are more middle of the load charges.

One thing about the 6mm vs the 243 is the length of the neck, which allegedly starves off throat erosion.  243's have a reputation of being barrel burners, not saying they are, but...  Ballistic wise, all things being equal the 6mm should fly faster but even though, accuracy is what it is all about.  You’ll just have to check it out.  Also the 6mm pills have good BC’s as does 6.5mm.  Not to sure about the 25 cals.

HTH,

the problem you will find with the .257's is that the twist rates can be questionable for the heavier longer bullets that you need to take advantage of those high b.c. numbers, the old .257 roberts was a prime example, as was the earlier .257 wby, the twist rates those rifles came with were iffy at best with anything over 115grs. if you got one back then that would shoot a 120gr bullet decently you were hot chit. for me the 6.5mm's make more sense, the 6.5x55 is a prime example, you go to sweden and finland and norway and they use them for moose, here in america its considered just a "deer rifle" which i disagree with.
anywho that doesnt have a damn thing to do with the 6mm's. rant off.Soap Box

Edited by pyro6999 - July/02/2010 at 22:23
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 00:13

[QUOTE=tjtjwdad]

the problem you will find with the .257's is that the twist rates can be questionable for the heavier longer bullets that you need to take advantage of those high b.c. numbers, the old .257 roberts was a prime example, as was the earlier .257 wby, the twist rates those rifles came with were iffy at best with anything over 115grs. if you got one back then that would shoot a 120gr bullet decently you were hot chit. for me the 6.5mm's make more sense, the 6.5x55 is a prime example, you go to sweden and finland and norway and they use them for moose, here in america its considered just a "deer rifle" which i disagree with.

When I bought my 6mm (it's a REM 700 Varmint Special made back in 1970) it was for varmints.  I just wanted a cartridge with more horsepower than a 204 Ruger, 22-250 or a 220 Swift when needed.  Heck it works on deer and antelope too.  For me, if I need anything larger there is a 30.06 (which I really have taken a liking too) and a 300 WBY at my disposal.

I'm not knocking 25 cals, I'm just not that familier with them. 

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 09:09
243 work in shorter actions, but seating the bullets out in the six is an advantage, with the release of hybrid and ww780 another 100 to 200 fps is possible, this six shoots 58s around 4200 fps and 87 hpbt at 3400 fps. This PO ackley Brno vz24 mauser was built when the controversy started and at 6 3/4 lbs. has taken elk, mulies, antelope, sheep, goat, and alot of steel.Even with the pencil barrel accuracy is outstanding well into 1400 rds.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 09:13
Originally posted by tjtjwdad tjtjwdad wrote:

[QUOTE=tjtjwdad]

When I bought my 6mm (it's a REM 700 Varmint Special made back in 1970) it was for varmints.  I just wanted a cartridge with more horsepower than a 204 Ruger, 22-250 or a 220 Swift when needed.  Heck it works on deer and antelope too.  For me, if I need anything larger there is a 30.06 (which I really have taken a liking too) and a 300 WBY at my disposal.

I'm not knocking 25 cals, I'm just not that familier with them. 

to be honest with you ive only owned one myself, and i couldnt get it to shoot. it was one of those cheap winchesters before they closed up shop. the ones that used a bead of glue  in the recoil lug and one to "float" the barrel. i started hunting big game with a .257robert in a pre64 m70. i will some day own a .257 wby. sounds like your arsenal is similar to mine, 22-250 .264win .300wby .375H&H
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 09:19
shot alot of 250 savage, still have an Ackley built Japanese action (really neat gun) and 257 Roberts, which can be loaded very close to a 25-06 as they were always underloaded. But still keep coming back to the 6s. Maybe a fast twist 6 in the future. Problem with the 25 is they don't have anything a 6.5 can't do better.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 09:41
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

shot alot of 250 savage, still have an Ackley built Japanese action (really neat gun) and 257 Roberts, which can be loaded very close to a 25-06 as they were always underloaded. But still keep coming back to the 6s. Maybe a fast twist 6 in the future. Problem with the 25 is they don't have anything a 6.5 can't do better.

i agree dale, its to bad that 6.5mm's havent taken off in this hemisphere.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 09:49
The 300 WBY is the largest I have, for now.  

My 6mm has been finicky with the Hornady 75-VMAX bullet.  Thus far, I've tried every single load available using H4350 and it's a no-go.  It shoots OK with RE-15 but nothing to rave about.  Now, because I want to utilize the magazine box I haven't extended the bullet out further than MAX OAL.  On the other hand, using Hodgdon Hybrid 100V, the Hornady 87-VMAX is not only a screamer but a pretty good nail driver too.  The 105-AMA, seated just off the lands is a real hammer with H4831SC.  I've certainly shared some of your frustration but I believe the ole' gal is starting to come around.

The 6mm would definitly work better in a long action (mine is a S/A).  For single shot work it doesn't matter, but when a follow up shot is needed then you're SOL.    
Stevey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 17:17
SmileThis is fun!!

Let's chronograph a 3 inch 6mm and a 2.8 inch COAL 6mm Rem and see what the vel diffs are with max loads. Start with the shorty (2.8 inch) then lengthen the throat so some 105, 107, or 115 gr bullet can be seated way out there  at 3.0 in (same barrel, reamer except for the throat). Powder could be whatever (H1000?)

Next, lets get a 1-8, 1-9 twist .257 barrel rifle made by some custom barrel maker and load up some .25-06 ammo with some custom .257 120-125 grain VLD bullets and compare the performance at 1000 yds with the 6mms. Is there a magic bullet diameter?

The problem is that 1-10 twist is the standard for .257 and there are no stocked 120-125 .257 VLD bullets. This means that most of us will keep buying 105 HAMAX & 107 SiMK projectiles to shoot out of 1-8 or 1-9 twists and 95 grainers to shoot out of 1-10 twist .243 Wins and 6mm Rems.

The 87 HVMAX is a super good performer and any .243 or 6mm can use it to slay any varmint (under 100 lbs) at incredible distances.

Possibly some type of stimulus money/grant could be obtained to fund this project.

tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 18:25
I'll try and keep this thread in mind because I can do some of these test with mine (S/A with a 1x9 twist).  I should be able to get a 3-inch round in my 6mm without hitting the lands and if I can, I'll try it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic