OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Back at the 600m

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back at the 600m
    Posted: July/02/2010 at 02:46
yesterday I was back at the range for those 600m gongs. The wind was really difficult, blowing at 15mph, allmost from behind. The real problem was that it was switching from behind left to behind right. The moment I had it dialed in for right wind and I hit a gong, it would switch to left and I would miss again. Wind at this distance brings a whole new game into play!!!
But overall I was pretty happy. The scope was dialed up 50 clicks and my vertical drop was dead on. Misses were mostly left or right due to switching wind...I hope!!

Interestingly a friend was there with a 30-06, factory bullets and a 4x Weaver scope. He could not hit a 12 inch plate from the 400 m, no matter how we compensated. I just think the factory ammo was spraying all over the show. The scope did not help either. May as well have looked through the bottom end of a coke bottle. How did we cope with those Weaver scopes????

I did my paper shoot and am quite happy I could keep it under 1MOA at 600m. I put 4 bullets in the paper, then a dove decided to commit suicide and landed on the 400m position (200m from me). Yeah, you guessed it, I could not resist, I dialed down 52, back up 2 (for that stuck reticule...no rubber mallet handy!!) and had dove pie for supper!!

You will notice the wind had switched again, pushing the shots to right of aimpoint.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 07:16
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

yesterday I was back at the range for those 600m gongs. The wind was really difficult, blowing at 15mph, allmost from behind. The real problem was that it was switching from behind left to behind right. The moment I had it dialed in for right wind and I hit a gong, it would switch to left and I would miss again. Wind at this distance brings a whole new game into play!!!
But overall I was pretty happy. The scope was dialed up 50 clicks and my vertical drop was dead on. Misses were mostly left or right due to switching wind...I hope!!

Interestingly a friend was there with a 30-06, factory bullets and a 4x Weaver scope. He could not hit a 12 inch plate from the 400 m, no matter how we compensated. I just think the factory ammo was spraying all over the show. The scope did not help either. May as well have looked through the bottom end of a coke bottle. How did we cope with those Weaver scopes????

I did my paper shoot and am quite happy I could keep it under 1MOA at 600m. I put 4 bullets in the paper, then a dove decided to commit suicide and landed on the 400m position (200m from me). Yeah, you guessed it, I could not resist, I dialed down 52, back up 2 (for that stuck reticule...no rubber mallet handy!!) and had dove pie for supper!!

You will notice the wind had switched again, pushing the shots to right of aimpoint.

i cant resist it either when a bird lands on a post out there when im shooting. i usually carry extra shells for those occasions though. pretty good shooting ole boy.Excellent
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 07:17
With the wind you described that is pretty damn fine shooting. Well done, sir. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 07:36
The "5th" shoot picture you drew, CLASSIC!  I love it.  Good shooting 8's
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 09:09
You'll need some creme cheese, half a jalapeño pepper and wrap in bacon strip an BBQ. Serve over wild rice with a Cabernet sauvignon. In more laymen terms Good Eats!

Edited by Steelbenz - July/02/2010 at 09:10
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 09:13
I think the dove may still be a little different tasteing.     
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 09:23
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

I think the dove may still be a little different tasteing.     

Yeah,!'! they taste like eagle, or crane if over cooked.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 10:27
Wouter that's good shooten.
It's amazing how  a couple hundred yards can change things when it comes to the wind. At 400yds your off by a couple of inches, at 600yds you could be off by feet with the same settings (windage).
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 22:35
Nice shooting.  What you describe with the wind is why I prefer holding with the reticle instead of dialing.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 23:22
Wouter, I was going to post that target I sent you in the e-mail but left it on my stick at work.  Maybe next week before I can post it.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 03:32
Nice shooting Wouter.
Like your taste in wine Steel!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic