OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Archery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

what bow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what bow
    Posted: July/02/2010 at 18:37
What does everyone have for bows?  Here is my Hoyt Vulcan.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 19:04
  '95 model Mathews Conquest Pro.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 19:10

PSE RS1000 Target Bow (3d)' Hoyt Raptor for Hunting. Both old, both still shoot great though I don't use them much any more. I am thinking strongly about getting back into it.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 19:22
       Thunbs Up   Ain't nothin to it but to do it!  
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 19:50
Still shooting about a 4year old Parker EZ draw 33.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 22:27

been trying to get rid of it to get a newer one, i havent shot it in 3 years. fred bear vapor 300

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 04:19
 Coincidentally I  was in Cabelas looking at archery equipment yesterday. The speed that they advertise on these things now is amazing compaired to the bows I have and my PSE was concidered to be no slouch in that department when I first bought it.

Edited by BobC - July/03/2010 at 04:24
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 09:14
i was looking at various companies web pages last night, and i too noted that a lot of the bows were over the 350fps mark.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 10:41
...and almost NONE of those advertised speeds are even remotely achievable in actual hunting setups with hunting weight arrows and string accessories (peeps, string silencers, nocking points, etc.) installed.  Those are IBO speeds, which means the (alleged) tested speed @ 70# draw, 30" draw length, 350 gr. total arrow weight, and nothing on the string.  Even then, quite often the advertised IBO speed is a crock of sh**, since few people ever seem to be able to actually duplicate the IBO speed on their bows, even when setup for 3D shooting.

The advertised IBO speed is worth little more than a means of comparison to say "bow A is supposed to be faster/slower than bow B." 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 10:50
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

...and almost NONE of those advertised speeds are even remotely achievable in actual hunting setups with hunting weight arrows and string accessories (peeps, string silencers, nocking points, etc.) installed.  Those are IBO speeds, which means the (alleged) tested speed @ 70# draw, 30" draw length, 350 gr. total arrow weight, and nothing on the string.  Even then, quite often the advertised IBO speed is a crock of sh**, since few people ever seem to be able to actually duplicate the IBO speed on their bows, even when setup for 3D shooting.

The advertised IBO speed is worth little more than a means of comparison to say "bow A is supposed to be faster/slower than bow B." 

which is why i think uncle ted has it all right, 50lb draw and proper placement equals death. he constantly preaches to shoot a lighter pull so you can draw smoothly, and kill smoothly.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 11:02
I shoot and older (7 years + or -) Hoyt UltraTec. It's deadly, quiet and fast enough to kill easily. I've had it set on 60 lbs. for several years and, to coin a phrase, "it's the bugs nuts". I don't need or want anything else.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 12:50
My PSE with an overdraw, the lightest ACC's I could get and 70# draw weight barely broke 290 fps. That wasn't too bad in the early 90's when I got it though. 300 fps was the holy grail then.

Edited by BobC - July/03/2010 at 12:51
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 08:02
I have been thinking about getting a bow, but at this point, if I pick up another hobby the wife will probably shoot ME! Best part of archery for me is the fact it is the only tag you can buy without draw in AZ for deer. 
  How much are you looking for your bow, Hunter?
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 10:33
I have a Mathews Drenalin as my primary hunting bow, but I also have a Hoyt Aspen, a Hoyt AlphaTec, an Archery Research AR31, an Archery Research AR35, and a custom longbow made by a local bow maker nobody has heard of.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 13:05
Mathews DXT
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 13:14
I shoot a Bowtech 82nd airborne.

IBO 340 fps

My hunting arrows chrono at 298 fps average.

405 grain hunting arrow weight.
28.5 in. draw length
65 lbs. draw weight

It is accurate, fast, silent, and shock free.
It does have a low brace height, and so requires good form.
-Matt
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 14:59
This year bought a Hoyt Maxxis 31. IBO is 321, my hunting setup will shoot high 290's. I'm kind of a heavy arrow guy though. Is it just me, or is Hoyt a company that doesn't inflate their IBO rating? I fully believe with IBO weight arrows, I could get my IBO speed.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 16:52
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Is it just me, or is Hoyt a company that doesn't inflate their IBO rating?

I think all bow companies do to some degree, but Hoyt's and Bowtech's IBO numbers seem to be closer to reality than some other companies.
Ted

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 16:59
I shoot a Reflex Excursion.  I am short so I only have a 28.5in draw.  I think my arrows chronoed at 283 for the hunting setup at a 70lb weight.  I am happy with it.  I would really like a Hoyt.  Those just feel right in my hands.  
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 18:11
Matthews Drenalin.  Hoyt ProTec, Hoyt UltraTec. Hoyt recurv.  I prefer the Matthews it is always on and I like the older Hoyt bows that had adjustable length of pull. My favorite of the Hoyts is the ProTec which is now called the 38Pro its more of a target bow but mines camo and had done fine killing deer.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic