OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Archery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

what bow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2010 at 20:00
I shoot a pile sh!t buckmaster 2000s. I want a new one but hey got make do with what we have. lol its does the job.
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2010 at 07:23
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I have been practicing with the muzzy 4 blades but seasons still a few months away to say for sure.  Really like the reviews of the tekens and the bloodrunners.

Come on now, get off the hip. If your gonna lay the muzzies aside you gotta try those Rage mecs. Don't let the crAZY COST Stop ya! Only about 54 days to opening day. That only leaves 18 pratice days if your praticing 3 days a week. The season changes were approve this yr.  Bow hunting on Sundays is legal, daily bag limits have been lifted, crossbows are legal (but you have to have pistol permit or C/C to purchase), muzzle loader season starts one week early and last two weeks and you can bow hunt all season. If your gonna change, better now than later.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2010 at 07:38
  Tell you what. I've seen alot of bowshooters have problems caused by CONSTANTLY switching out gear.  If it works for ya,use it.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2010 at 13:42
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Tell you what. I've seen alot of bowshooters have problems caused by CONSTANTLY switching out gear.  If it works for ya,use it.
Amen I been there done it. wont be going back.
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2010 at 19:21
I went through a lot of that myself in the earlier days................I have shot deer with everything from a 1" cut fixed blade to 2" cut expandables and "all" of them killed deer with good shoot...........I can't tell you which one's left better blood trails because the bloodtrails are always so inconsistant. But I can say one thing.............if you get something shooting good and shoot one through both lungs..............you got a dead deer period !!
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 21:05
Not much of one to jump around but I'm giving up the beloved Mathews Outback for a Z7. I'm really hard to motivate toward change when it comes to Bows but I must say I'm sold for the first time in a long time. I look at bows from this stand point.
1. Quite
2. forgiving
3. Smooth
4. fast

IMHO This offering does all of that pretty good. I pick it up Tue. NEW TOY JOY CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12">
Enough is to much.
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 18:18
Man, I had a sweet 30" Outback that maxed out at 76# with a Winners choice string set. I could shoot a 425 grain arrows at like 285 or something. I shot a 175" mule deer at 61 yrds with a full passthrough . Loved that bow.............but it was very loud on the shot and had a extremely short valley............could not creep an inch or it would roll over and about rip my arm off !

My 61# Drenaline is so much smoother , nicer, quieter, and a generous valley "if I creep" !
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 18:31
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i really like these, to bad i have been bow hunting for like 3 years now.
http://midatlanticarchery.com/broadheads/crimson-talon-xt/

I was given a pack of these to try one time some years back. They were one of the three blade models, they shot good on paper and even from extended archery ranges. But I must say that there internal performance left a lot to be desired IMHO.

I center punched the heart of a 1800lb. bull buffalo at 18 yards with one of them. Now don't get me wrong he went down and fast with more blood pouring out of the entry wound than I have ever seen but the arrow only when into his side about 10 to 12" from a well tuned 73lb Mathews Outback. The Broad Head's blades when retrieved were folded up like they were made of tin foil. Basically the shot was perfect broad side and standing still; but when the arrow interred it was slowed and stopped by the fact that the head became one big woad of steel and aluminum. I wonder what would have happened if the shot was not so good and Hvy. bone would have played a roll in success?
Not to be critical but I felt lucky that that was not the case. IMHO if your not interested in one of the new mechanical offerings any of the 3 blade Muzzy's are hard to beat.     
Enough is to much.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:30
Originally posted by REP REP wrote:

I was given a pack of these to try one time some years back. They were one of the three blade models, they shot good on paper and even from extended archery ranges. But I must say that there internal performance left a lot to be desired IMHO.

I center punched the heart of a 1800lb. bull buffalo at 18 yards with one of them. Now don't get me wrong he went down and fast with more blood pouring out of the entry wound than I have ever seen but the arrow only when into his side about 10 to 12" from a well tuned 73lb Mathews Outback. The Broad Head's blades when retrieved were folded up like they were made of tin foil. Basically the shot was perfect broad side and standing still; but when the arrow interred it was slowed and stopped by the fact that the head became one big woad of steel and aluminum. I wonder what would have happened if the shot was not so good and Hvy. bone would have played a roll in success?
Not to be critical but I felt lucky that that was not the case. IMHO if your not interested in one of the new mechanical offerings any of the 3 blade Muzzy's are hard to beat.     

thats neato information, but i still have to be my normal dickhead self and ask you where in the death of the animal the broadheads failed???
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 21:25

thats neato information, but i still have to be my normal dickhead self and ask you where in the death of the animal the broadheads failed???

I happen to like your skepticism friend; it keeps thing real and interesting. But to answer your question my observation based opinion here was not so much formed by the animals reaction to this particular shot.

As is evident in the description of my original post the harvest was quite efficient and humane. But looking further than what could be witnessed from a spectators view and perhaps leaning on a little experience with heavy bodied game; it was evident that this broad-head was challenged with the arrows minimal penetration and  the broad-heads condition even though it impacted mostly soft tissue.

I have witnessed many other large game animals taken in like or less than ideal shot placement than the one described with complete pass through harvest.  But to I do not pretend to judge the entire product line of this company based on that one experience.

Simply put if the broad-heads that I was shooting folded every blade and stopped the arrows penetration in an animals softer tissue. How should I expect it to perform if I were to make a less than idea shot due to an unexpected turn etc. and I needed to break heavy bone to reach the vittles. Can you feel me? Cool
Enough is to much.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 21:31
thats why i said thats neat information, ive only shot whitetails with mine, so a buffalo is a breath of fresh air as far as this discussion goes, since its not a common animal to hunt. 
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 21:58

thats why i said thats neat information, ive only shot whitetails with mine, so a buffalo is a breath of fresh air as far as this discussion goes, since its not a common animal to hunt. 

Thanks; But judging by your location I'd say you most likely have many opportunitys to put most any sort of equipment to the test. This I say given my experience in both your winter climate and the monster white tails that call Minnesota home. They approach the weight of 1800lb by the time you get them to the truck don't they? 
Enough is to much.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 06:28

Thanks; But judging by your location I'd say you most likely have many opportunitys to put most any sort of equipment to the test. This I say given my experience in both your winter climate and the monster white tails that call Minnesota home. They approach the weight of 1800lb by the time you get them to the truck don't they? 

lol, to be honest with you where i grew up in western wyoming was a way better testing ground. chasing elk and mule deer around the mountains was by far more work and more of test not only on you but your gear. i miss that... the biggest white tail ive been around must have been right around 200lbs live weight, we drug him to the nearest trail and let the atv take it to the trucks.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 12:03

Buffalo hide is some tough stuff. I have never shot anything even in the ballpark. You can have a razor sharp knife and still not be able to cut through the hide without a lot of effort. It took me and another guy all day to gut and skin the one I killed.

I tell you what though..........I walked away with a lot bigger appreciation for what archery equipment is capable of . I shot mine in the heart with a Wasp Boss Bullet and it performed awesome ! I had heard some bad stories about those Crimson Talons. At the time I was only considering the Boss Bullets or a Magnus 2 blade cut on contact !

02Silver View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 21:50
Late to the game but I have two bows.

Hoyt Alphamax 32 w/Ripcord and Toxonics (Soon to be a Apex)
Bear Truth 2 w/QAD Ultra and Trophy Ridge Alpha

Bought the son a Mission w/NAP rest and a Copper John
02Silver View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 21:58
I shoot Rage 2 Blade 100 Grain and NAP HellRazor 125's.

Muzzy 4 Blade 100's for the son.

The Alphamax is a 60#, Bear is a 70# and the Mission is a 60 set at 55#.

The Truth 2 has been my go to hunting piece due mostly to it having a light on the site hence the new sight on the way for the Hoyt.
trjones87 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 18:06
I've got an alphamax and love it, best bow Hoyt has ever produced, I bought a maxxis when they came out and was very disappointed compared to the am32
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2010 at 13:32
alphamax 50-60lber 29 in draw
alphaburner 60-70 28.5 draw set at 60 lbs 400 gr. arrow goes 297 fps
ultraelite 3d bow (06)
pro elite 3d bow  (05)
elite gt  500
elite z28
my go to bow is the hoyt alphaburner easy pulling fast bow with 34.75 ata this is the only bow i owned that has out did its rated ibo speed we shot a 350 gr. arrow at 70 lbs 356 fps thats with a 28.5 draw
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2011 at 15:59
Mathew's Switchback Xt
huge fan.
grizbacker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grizbacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2011 at 21:53
Looking at getting a hoyt carbon element, but am going to wait to see if hoyt comes out with a faster carbon bow when they release this year's lineup this month. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic