OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Eyes not as good as they use to be

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eyes not as good as they use to be
    Posted: July/12/2010 at 14:53
Okay.  I was at the range yesterday.  Well actually it was my friends yineyard field that he has market out to 600 yards.    Im 48 years old and now can barely see the bullseye at 200 yards through my Zeiss 4.5X14X44.   It seems to be getting worse and worse over the last few years.  Is the answer as simple as getting a higher magnification scope or what?  Any suggestions from those of you with more years of experience.   
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 15:47
 You should be able to focus that scope to see flies on a 200yd target.  Have you adjusted the fast focus?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 16:04
I'm 63,& every 4-5 years I keep up grading to better glass with the same magnification.Problem with this is Alpha glass is very expensive so I no longer have scopes on all my rifles.my alternative seems to be don't shoot out past 300 yds.
 Problem with more magnification is you need to have less jitter,hence the need for a good bi-pod or some sort of heavy duty rest. What I really miss is using good old iron sights,which stopped 6 years ago! We can,t go back ,but we can modify & accept.D'ont be discourageded older age is just a little incovieniet.
  There are some very good eye operations that can be had to correct our problems,but do alot of reading before you decide to screw with your eyes!
  I hope this helps....
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 16:37
 +1!!   I'm 62 and recently upgraded to some more modern scopes. It HELPED!

Edited by 300S&W - July/12/2010 at 18:12
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2010 at 17:47
Gettin' old is a drag ain't it!  LOL!  It was two weeks after turning 42.  Went from 20/15 vision to needing readers.  It was like fallin' off a cliff.  better glass and set the scope up correctly for your hardening lenses. (your eyes not the scopes! ) that's why I use a side focus scope myself. So I can put the target in focus for my eyeballs.  Getting old is hell, but it beats the alternative. Big Grin

edited for fat fingers

Edited by Steelbenz - July/12/2010 at 17:49
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2010 at 12:11
Yeah, my eyesight sucks too (60 this fall). I just try to use good scopes and keep shots reasonable. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2010 at 12:18
I just tested 20/15...

Sorry...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2010 at 13:19
Dan you may want to go back an read my post again my brother. The clock is ticking!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2010 at 14:32
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Dan you may want to go back an read my post again my brother. The clock is ticking!
"...time travels with me"...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2010 at 14:52

20/15 until I was 47 could read the newspaper one day and the next it was a blurr, just my right eye, of course that is my dominant eye so iron sights went bye bye and so did my lower power scopes. Now for just shooting from the bench I use a SS 20x and my hunting rifles have 4-12 on them usually set at 6x, but here in Ct. most shots are pretty close but the scopes are still needed.
 GETTING OLDER SUCKS BUT IT DOES BEAT THE ALTERNATIVE.
froggy
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2010 at 17:26

When was the last time you have had an eye exam? It sounds like you have some other issues rather than the scope

My optomitist office has to have the latest and best in everything...  They are talking about an advanced system that helps measure the conture of your eyes and  then gets your script ground from that, rather than  just the flip comparison.  My optomitrist has had it done and with Crizal lenses said it is not just a reduction in glare, but like watching everything in HD.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2010 at 17:43
rjt,have you ever met anyone who's come back to tell you it's better here ? [:}
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2010 at 20:22

No but I have met plenty of people who want to take what they have here with them.
froggy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2010 at 06:55

Big Smile

Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 10:56
I second the suggestion of having your eyes checked again. I know plenty of folks over 60 who have trouble with objects that are close but no issue through optics. There may be another issue going on. The other consideration is that maximum pupil size decreases a bit as we get older, that can make scopes appear a bit more dim, which some folks say gives the impression of a loss of contrast. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 13:02
There's only one thing worse then getting old & having to wear Bi-Focals ,when i'm ready to take the shot & the glasses fog up because of my excitement!Down the Toilet
Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 10:25
Cool
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

There's only one thing worse then getting old & having to wear Bi-Focals ,when i'm ready to take the shot & the glasses fog up because of my excitement!Down the Toilet
Isn't that the truth! Or, as in my case, climbing a grueling 2% grade to catch up with a critter, steaming up the glasses, scope lense, and outlook on life in general. I did conquer the eyeglass thing, even at my age by going to contact lenses (they wear 24 hours a day, and remove them for cleaning one day a week). They solved the eyeglass thing, but remarkably, did nothing to otherwise diminish huffing, puffing, racing heart, nor perspiration....oh well, still one less thang.
Terry Lamb
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 11:46

1ST Sgt's RULES:

1) CARDIO,
2) Always put on your seatbelt,
3) Limber up,
4) Double tap (controlled pair)...

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 12:05
I tested at 20/15 left 20/17 right last year. I thought I was going blind. I was at 20/10 in my early 20's. Doc said nothing he can find wrong, except I should take better care of my eyes in the sun. It could be age, and probably alot more due to some eye injuries from my late teen years. I can easily get by with the cheaper optics out there, but really appreciate the finer ones.

Now for the scopes thing..... A quick question. How are you cleaning the lenses? Deterioration of the coatings from a poor cleaning practice can easily screw up fantastic glass. I have seen any number of people use windex on scope lenses. That will absolutely ruin coatings.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 14:56
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

I tested at 20/15 left 20/17 right last year. I thought I was going blind. I was at 20/10 in my early 20's. Doc said nothing he can find wrong, except I should take better care of my eyes in the sun. It could be age, and probably alot more due to some eye injuries from my late teen years. I can easily get by with the cheaper optics out there, but really appreciate the finer ones.

Now for the scopes thing..... A quick question. How are you cleaning the lenses? Deterioration of the coatings from a poor cleaning practice can easily screw up fantastic glass. I have seen any number of people use windex on scope lenses. That will absolutely ruin coatings.
Yea, everybody knows you should use RAINEX...  JUST KIDDING...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic